Home Technical Talk

Best way to uv low poly flatcolour model?

Yonderboy
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
Hi, I'm making a bunch of small low poly assets and am just wondering the best way to uv them so that I can get the material size down as much as possible. Normally I would uv with a grid texture on and make sure each element was relative in size, however some of these little assets have large areas of plane colour mixed with smaller areas of colour and detail. Should I shrink the larger uvs down even though it will make them more pixelated?

I'm guessing there's no 'right' way, but was wondering if there were any tricks or standard procedures

Thanks for any help!
Nick

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A picture would help.

If the assets are always small on screen, then you can use very small textures.

If you put a checker test texture on an asset, see which level mip it displays at the max, so then you can use that size texture. For example: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1738667&postcount=4

Some hardware will choke if you use uneven texel density, but most will not. If parts are always hidden, I shrink them down to nothing and shove them in the corner of the UV.

Mirroring and reusing texture space can save a lot.

If the art style agrees, you could use vertex color and a small re-used tiling texture on multiple assets.
  • Yonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, yes here's a picture...

In this example I've made everything the same size. I could obviously shrink down those large areas of colour (or stretch the UVs). However, I want to bake the ambient occlusion on top, so that would much up if i took this approach. ie. If i shrink down the large areas of colour, when i put the ambient occlusion on, the pixels would be more noticeable and big :-/

(hopefully that description wasn't too confusing)

thanks!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice bottles.

Quite a few things you can do here to save size.

1. Texture size is 1024x1024, that's a huge waste. Especially for mobile. Nothing should be above 256x256, except a rare 512 for a terrain or something huge, or maybe the UI elements.

2. You can crop down the elements of your bottles into this tiny little texture. Reuse reuse reuse! Don't be afraid to overlap and scale your UVs.
    T3wXq3A.jpg

3. The nozzles have the same number of sides as the main pat of the bottle. This is bad because the blocky curvature is very obvious on the bottle but invisible on the nozzles. You want to distribute the topology better, so it's evenly chunky all over. With mobile, download size becomes an issue, as does memory. Generally, the less vertices the better.

4. You can paint the ambient occlusion directly into that little texture, instead of making a 2nd texture which eats up RAM.

5. You can make both the red and yellow bottles with 1 texture! If you make it grayscale, then use vertex color to make them red vs. yellow. You could even add a green one for pickle relish!
  • Yonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow - that's great help thanks!!
  • Yonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've managed to get it down to 64x64 pretty well. Im experiencing an annoying glitch that when I drag the UVs right to the edges of the UV square (in maya) the texture from the other side starts to bleed/wrap across :(. Is there any way to overcome this do you know?

Im snapping to the grid so theoretically it should be exactly positioned.

thanks for your help!
    N
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the way it works, it's called texture filtering. You can disable it in two ways:

1. Disable texture filtering. But then everything on screen will be pixelly, like Playstation 1 graphics, or Quake I.

2. Set the texture to use Clamp address mode, instead of Wrap.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb206239(v=vs.85).aspx

Edit... or you can avoid it by not UV'ing right up to the edge, just keep everything 2 pixels away.
  • Yonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok, thanks. I guess ill just go for the 'nudge the UVs in a little bit' option then :)