Home Unity

Animating UVs in unity? Anyone got a good tutorial on it. Cant find one

Animating UVs in unity? Anyone got a good tutorial on it. Cant find one which explains how to do this properly. Check checked youtube to no avail.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty simple. Have you ever animated something in Unity?

Create a new animation track in the Project window, drag it onto your model, open the Animation window, press Record, move the timebar forward in time somewhere, adjust the Offset in the material, the press Play. Presto!

Edit... I'm moving this to the Unity subforum for you. You'll usually get faster replies if you post in the right forum.
  • kreativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, yes, I have animated in unity. And used mecanim, etc. But was looking for an in-depth tut Animated UVs and why they are better than texture offsetting, like less drawcalls, etc, and more tips and tricks. I am thinking of using this technique in production and hence wanted as much pros and cons as possible.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Animating UVs in Unity is probably more expensive than just using a texture offset in the shader.

You've basically got to update and write the UVs to the mesh every frame in your script. That's still going to create a unique mesh instance so it's an extra draw call anyway.
  • kreativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWYINvm64ZI[/ame]

the above vid piqued my interest and succinctly explains why animating UVs is better than texture offsetting.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting technique. And it looks like this video answers your question.

You should have said you're talking about sprite animation.

If you're searching for more info, try "unity sprite animation uv". The third hit on Google is for SpriteManager, might be what you want.
  • kreativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting technique. And it looks like this video answers your question.

You should have said you're talking about sprite animation.

If you're searching for more info, try "unity sprite animation uv". The third hit on Google is for SpriteManager, might be what you want.

aahh, good point. Just dont have too much experience with 2D. Have always developed for 3D. First, small projects. Now semi-big indie game.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    If you just want 2D sprite animation, you can just select the sprites that make up the animation and drag them into the hierachy. A prompt to save your animation should pop up. Just hit save and you are done.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    What if I'm not actually interested in Sprite animation, but want a sprite-esque style of animation applied to a 3D model? It is an approach that was used during the 32-bit era to animate basic expressions on 3D characters faces.

Of course, if I really wanted to do that, I could separate the character's face into a different material, and handle it that way. (and handle the texture offset per area that needs animating) You would have to get a little creative, and probably have to dig into some custom Materials and Shaders, but it's doable.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    What if I'm not actually interested in Sprite animation, but want a sprite-esque style of animation applied to a 3D model? It is an approach that was used during the 32-bit era to animate basic expressions on 3D characters faces.

In Unity you can still use a sprite for this. Unity's sprites are not only 2D but can also work in 3D space.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    SanderDL wrote: »
    Unity's sprites are not only 2D but can also work in 3D space.

Yes, but I'm not talking about just hovering a single sprite over a model, I'm talking about more of a render-to-texture approach.

Though, I suppose you could actually use the render-to-texture feature in conjunction with a sprite to do exactly what you're describing. It would be a bit of a round-about approach to the problem, but if performance wasn't a huge issue, it would certainly work.

In previous versions of Unity you would have to have Pro in order to try something like that. But now with the more feature-complete personal edition in version 5.0, render-to-texture is available. If you wanted to composite a model's texture out of some sprites and an orthographic camera, you totally could.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's an example on the Unity wiki:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Animating_Tiled_texture

I use the same technique for looping animations of pre-rendered particle effects that I place on a single quad. It's useful in particular situations.