Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy shield

polycounter lvl 7

Replies

• Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azure_Dragon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey dude, I would reccomend having the snake faceing forward towards the camera. That will help buid the silhouette IMO from the side view. Is the material, cloth at the back of the shield?. Im not trying to be harsh, personally I.feel the design on the front dosnt really go well with the carved writing. I like the idea of the plated carved writing, more then the design towards the bottom of the sheild. The hand, needs a bit of work look at the ananatomy of the hand but apart from that keep up the good work :). Test diffrent shapes of the sheild aswell, go with much simpler shapes so the eyes draw to the detail of the sheild. For example go with a simple circle and test how that works. Keep.up the good work, ill look forward to see what comes of this project.
  • Borx25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borx25 polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the critique, the shape of the shield was based on:
    468px-Dunmer.jpg
    Then i added some elements to go with the lore (it's for a skyrim mod) of the shield such as this symbol:
    ON-icon-Prince-Boethia-emblem.png
    that's why the snake isn't facing front but i do agree it would be better if it was facing front so i may change that and maybe turn it into a cobra wich are a lot cooler from that perspective.
    The back is supposed to be leather, bare metal was boring and the inside is not supposed to have intrincate details so i added leather with some stiching.

Anyway i'm not sure if i'll make many changes to this one atm as i'm lacking much free time lately and want to finish something but i'll keep that stuff for the next thing, thanks again for the critique :)
  • Imasho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like an interesting project, something i've been working on this week in my spare time also is a fantasy shield.

What did you model the base mesh in?I split mine into various subtools to help keep the poly count managable and the edges clean. I could suggest splitting the trim of the shield into a subtool so it would be easier to model dents and scratches in zbrush perhaps?

Keep up the good work.
  • Borx25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borx25 polycounter lvl 7
    Base model in 3dsmax from primitives a half then mirrored and to zbrush. I usually split the model into subtools by materials, gold in a subtool, steel in other etc so that i can bake a material id map really quick.

Quick question for everyone: how do you guys normally do the bolts? do you ignore them for the lowpoly and have them only in the normalmap? or to keep the silhuette you add them to the lowpoly too?
    if so as separate items, all bolts sharing uv map or joined with the main piece of the lowpoly they belong, like a boolean and have everything continuous (that could create smoothing artifacts as the angle is high and it's not splitted in the uvmap right?) or maybe joining on the lowpoly but splitting the uv map?
  • Imasho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I donno about anyone else but I would just bake em onto flat from the high poly. Unless they were really pronounced.