Home General Discussion

Has anyone here who graduated/studying from AIE ?? Advice.. pls?

I graduated last year May 2014 and I'm planning to further my study my 3d career [specifically in game arts since I'm into gaming] in Melbourne,Australia.

Has anyone went to Academy of Interactive Entertainment here?

Or do you guys have any recommendation for some art school in Melb??

pls do let me know some of your experience and if it is worth studying in AIE :) Thanks!:)

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    AIE has generally been fairly well respected in the past. I studied at their Canberra campus when I was getting started, but that was over 10 years ago, so my perspective may not be super relevant. There are a bunch of other decent options from other technical colleges (QANTM for example) as well as the universities.

I reckon your best bet might be to join up to the Melbourne IGDA (you should do that if you have any interest in games dev anyway) and ask around there - there are plenty of current and former students there that'll be able to give you a clearer idea.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Current AiE student here, I'm going to hit you with the straight up truth, sorry if any of my teachers are listening.
    First year was the biggest WOFT, but i attribute this mostly to our teacher leaving and being replaced by a film teacher, sure he had a wealth of knowledge and industry experience, but he just lacked the same passion for games as we do, everything went kind of film bias at the point.

Alas, second year.
    Second year is the tits, the teachers are great artists as well as teachers, no soft cockness around here if your work is bad its bad, no spoon feeding you just get good.
    You are defiantly getting what you paid for when it comes to second year.

Don't get me wrong, first year had its perks, met some awesome people, really learnt to knuckle down and do work and develop a routine, I personally left first year feeling i missed out on some things.

TL;DR If you have already established some workflows and technical skills, like baking maps, zbrush, poly modeling, and you feel competent with those skills first year will be boring for you.

Alternatively if you feel you can improve as an artist in general from all the way to your fundamentals to attitude, its defiantly worth the wait to second year, i defiantly couldn't get what i learnt in second year from self teaching.

Also take into consideration i was 1 out of the 2 game art classes, i can't speak for the other teacher, but he has come in and taught us a few times and its always been super useful.

@Brenly
    Is my second year teacher, hit him up if you are curious, or i didn't articulate my reply properly which is likely :p
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    OP, you might want to look at online courses.

Gnomon online courses looks good. I know Uartsy courses are good as well.

Not forgetting there are countless tutorial that you can follow along from subscription services like 3dmotive, digital tutor and gnomonlibrary.

Also, OP what do you want to focus on. Can you post some of your work and maybe some of your 2d work.

P.S. You should also check out the monthly challenges on polycount.
  • kimybaby16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dustinbrown
    I know what you mean, that's why I've been thinking about it.

Jackablade,
    Oh that's nice, are you working in a game company or something?
    Game dev must be interesting but I'm more likely into environment art. :)

Hey Fwap,

Really? So its all about the basics in your freshmen then?
    I think I really need to freshen up my skills again.. I wasn't taught zbrush in my
    school and yea that technical, I need that. sometimes I had problems when it comes to self taught lol [i had bad memory sometimes]

Thanks for sharing it. It does help!
    do they teach you how to use unreal 4??

Hey pangaea,

Yea Gnomon is good too but I heard its a bit hard to get in there before you get admitted..since they're looking for some candidate who has amazing works. . is it? That I wasn't sure but really game environment art or plainly visual dev/concept art for games.
    here's my link:
    MY PORTFOLIO
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't go to AIE, but went to Swinburne and went through their game design course a few years back now. Had game art subjects sorted mixed in with it.

If I were you, I'd seriously try and just learn off the net. 3D motive, Digital Tutors, Eat3D and the like should have everything you need to learn, and, whatever they don't have you can just come here and ask about.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    They didn't really go in depth with any engine really, you know they push you a lot to learn things on your own, the course is more about becoming a better artist than knowing your tools because lets face it, the future is coming where anyone can push and pull sliders to make technically correct art, but its the design and art principles that will make you stand out.|

AiE's biggest asset right now is that it feels like a working environment, especially my campus, we don't really have walls between classes and we are guided into going out and connecting with design students and programmers and making cool shit.
    Thats probably what makes me believe if i could do it all again i would, surrounded by like minded pears and teachers its a really dope environment to work in.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    My advice:

Do not use that font, ever.