Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creating First portfolio (Looking for feedback)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
noosence polycounter lvl 9
Hello all! I am an aspiring environment artist hoping to land that all desirable studio position, but I have a slight problem, no portfolio. So I felt coming to you, the great Polycount community, to help me would be super beneficial. I will be posting some asset breakdowns and general portfolio goodness with the hopes of being critiqued and guided into landing my first studio job! Thank you again for your time and expertise! It is very much appreciated! =]

So to begin my first post I have an asset breakdown of a rock that I have recently completed. I have two different breakdowns, essentially displaying the same information in two different layouts. So the first question being, which of these layouts work better, and the second question being, what information do I typically want to include in these breakdowns?

SRBTyYD.jpg

XHNdOnQ.jpg

Replies

• billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Personally, I'd say separate out the pieces into individual image files, with beauty shot(s) first, in engine/environment shots next, wireframe (and poly/vert count), then texture breakdowns. I wouldn't worry about the AO, curvature, etc. maps. Just albedo, normal, spec, gloss should be fine.

The key is to lead with the beauty shots that show off the model best, then show the breakdown.
  • Dvids
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvids polycounter lvl 4
    I would agree with billymcguffins suggestions.

I would also suggest not putting too much information in one spot. That AO/Curve/Edge/combined map is a bit too much for a relatively simple piece like this. The rock looks solid and it's best inside the game engine, so try to open with beauty shots out of the engine or your preferred renderer. Always open with your best pieces, breakdowns come later (they don't even necessarily have to be included in the gallery at all, referencing a polycount thread or a personal blog entry is perfectly valid). Generally, somebody visiting your portfolio and interested in hiring you will want to see your finished art and projects or in short: everything you've accomplished in your relevant profession so far, presented in a professional and equally visually pleasing manner. I know this is not an easy task if you just don't have much to show yet (and believe me, I suffer under similar circumstances), but I would stay away from WIP shots and anything, that you don't consider finished yourself. Still, if you have a project you know you won't finish but want to include in your portfolio because you spend a lot of time with it and deem it worthy, render it out in the best way possible, match it to your website's design and put it up there - and then move on to the next project.

Edit: Also, some practical critique on the second image. It's not optimal because it forces me to scroll down waaay to far for just one asset and the kind of information I'm getting. Try putting more pieces of information horizontally (for example all the textures). Also optimize the negative spaces by bringing the headings and general font size down by a lot and go for a more compact design. Also, grey backgrounds are common and totally okay to use, but it should not be the dominant element of the image, which it kind of is because you have that big border on the left side going all the way down.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome advice! Thank you two so much! So taking the revisions you stated I reworked how I was displaying the breakdowns, and went ahead and made a first draft of my portfolio site. It is a little bare at the moment as I was just trying to layout the structure of the site, which I will fill out later with other assets. So now for another question, is the site seem to be heading in the right direction?

Portfolio
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Please don't use wix site use artstation instead.

Also, you planning to build any environments.

Also, read this
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122273
    in particular
    Portfolio tip #8: A Wix page is not a portfolio. Wix is the Photoshop lens flare of portfolio hosts.
    Portfolio tip #9: ENVIRONMENT ARTISTS! Dude, EVERYBODY MODELS ANGKOR WAT! Do the temples in Bhutan or something off the wall instead. Be creative!

Also, personal preference but I feel people who have solid or really good work don't write crazy statements or have to write stuff like they are really passionate.
    When I was in middle school I staying at a friends house, when his older brother showed me RPG Maker. My life was changed. I immediately got a copy and poured a better part of my junior high life into trying to make a game.

My English is bad, but the first sentence doesn't make sense. But, the about should probably just be your age, your name and maybe any education you have had.
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I revised the about me. Also moved everything over to artstation. Here's a new link if anyone is interested. Portfolio Thanks again for the crits!
  • tomenjerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, I'm not experienced at all when it comes to portfolios, but there's a couple things you might want to fix on your rock. First of all I think you should make a normal map thats based on your diffuse, it looks much nicer that way. You could also bake your ambient occlusion and edge map (aka, a cavity map) in you diffuse, since you don't have any overlapping uvs. It might be usefull to post a picure of your highpoly sculpt, people (me included) might be interested.

anyway I think youre on the right track, but really focus on learning the right techniques.

Hope this helps

Tim
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your rock is boring. I mean, dude, if your gona do a rock, do a rock man.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40371&d=1294436305
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3886/14443782303_16f76a5d89_b.jpg
    http://zebra400.com/2009-10-Northern%20NSW/slides/31-More%20interesting%20rocks%20in%20Bald%20Rock%20NP.JPG
    https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/03/f5/71/98/parco-nazionale-dell.jpg
    https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-76fe19751aff69617e4543b64bfd69a8?convert_to_webp=true
    https://c278592.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/original/137232.jpg
    http://www.freeimages.com/assets/3/21590/interesting-rocks-316458-m.jpg

Your shape, design and color choice is boring. Sure, it looks like its supposed to, and you probably will do this in a studio at some point, but this is your portfolio, the best of what you have to offer, I'm supposed to be wowed by your work, and all im looking at is 2 rocks. Make a scene man! Do something interesting. Your an artist! Put those color theory skills and composition skills to the test. If your coming into this with no art theory background, get up to speed on all of this. I can find a hundred people who can do that rock. What I want to see is someone who can take that boring subject madder and make it into something artistically interesting and unique.

Plus, a rock in the grass. Realy? Why not model air or something /sarcasm. Put that rock with other rocks. Put it in a scene. Make a unique image out of it. Add lighting. Add color. Do something that actually says your an environment artist, not someone who just started out modeling and made a rock because it was easy. The examples I showed yeah. All are pretty cool in there own way. Use references to get a good idea of lighting and composition.

Anyways, Id worry more about that then what a portfolio site looks like. Artstation is pretty good. You cannot go wrong with that. We all started somewhere. Just keep pushing it dude!
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @whats_true Thank you, you are absolutely right. It's fantastically boring o.O I've gone back and added some WIPs to the portfolio I have removed the rock breakdown. If you don't mind, may I ask if it is a smart idea to pour all of my time into having just one fully fleshed out environment, or should I spread my time out into smaller projects to fill my portfolio up more? Thank you so much again for the crit, these are the kinds of down and dirty crits I came to PC looking for! oh and amazing work in your portfolio =]

@tomenjerry I agree normally I would create the diffuse and normals as part of the whole, but the idea was to create a scaleable asset in which the texture would continue to have the same texel density no matter the scaling of the object. And I kept the Edge Cavity and AO seperate (Well combined into one texture atlas using the RGB Channels) To control different things within the texture. And as soon as I can I will post the HP Sculpt for you to check out.