Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D - Gnomish Sorcerer

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MrRagingSunshine polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, I started working on a new character and wanted to get some input on the design and critique in general. He's pretty early on but my intent is to do texture-only pass on him and see what I can work up in the next week.

I did a paintover of the model I sketched up to get the general feel for what I was going for, so do tell me what you think!

2015-05-18_2327.png
2015-05-18_2351.png
2015-05-18_2352.png

All critiques are welcome

Replies

• MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some clean up and minor adjustments with the time I had today, and I'm digging it so far. Feel free to tell me what you think!

2015-05-19_2338.png
    2015-05-19_2338_001.png
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    The wrinkles on the cape seem a but to even too me + bag strap is not evenly curved when viewed from the back, otherwise, good job.
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, I adjusted the cloak based on what you said and it definitely looks a lot cooler. Thanks for that!

I also went ahead and UV'd while adjusting some of the edgeflow and shape on the gloves, the fingers were looking a bit stubby for my tastes.

2015-05-20_2329.png
    2015-05-20_2330.png

I also did a very basic paintover as a base for texturing in Zbrush with the time I had left tonight, not much too it, but if you have any comments on the colors or what have you, feel free to keep up the critiques

2015-05-20_2321.png
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed working yesterday, so I decided to push through a first pass on the texture today. Definitely love getting into this part of the process, and would love to hear what you guys think of what I have so far.

2015-05-24_0108.png
    2015-05-24_0108.png

Thanks!
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 15
    Great start! Now just add more contrast and detail and you're done. : D
  • Megacorpse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    I Would make the leather quite darker and slightly less saturated. Also I would add some detail on the pants like seams and pockets.
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got caught up with work, but I did do a small update to the leather on the gloves, dropping the saturation and adding more detail in general. I plan on adding more stitching around the hand in general as well, but I wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought.

Tell me what you think, as I believe this is the type of route I'll end up going with the rest of the leather pieces!

2015-05-27_0037.png
    2015-05-27_0038.png
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Neat concept so far! He has a lot of character.

I did a paint over of your leather gloves to give you a feel of some things you need to watch out for.

bsxWqJY.jpg

More contrast! If you desaturate your model you'll notice that the darks and lights don't stray too far from the base color, pushing both of those values will help make things pop.

Use overlays of color to give your model more life, right now the lights and darks are just value shifts of the same color. For example in the paintover I used a almost-black purple to get inside the creases, and a very light yellow to accent the edges of the leather and highlights of the stitches.

Don't forget wear and tear! Understanding how materials wear away, leather especially, it really helps sell the material

Gradients and lighting: Very important on hand-painted models because it gives a visual hierarchy, and illusion of depth. Most often lighting is painted with light shining down on the model, since most attention is usually paid to the face and less so to the feet. I would gather reference of what kind of lighting and style you want. You can bake out AO and gradients to assist with getting the lighting information correct.

I hope this helps!
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found time today to get back into working on this guy. The critique you gave was very helpful and gave me a lot to think over Alemja. While I still have to go over a few objects, I am definitely digging where this texture is headed!

Feel free to tell me what you guys are thinking!

2015-05-29_0050.png
    2015-05-29_0050.png
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again all, I found some time to work on this, and am looking to pushing this into it's final stages. I know some of it is rough around the edges, but I am loving where it's ending up. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

2015-05-30_0209.png
    2015-05-30_0210.png
  • Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    Personally i would have relocated the hip bag.
    It too low and would be annoying if you actually have to walk with the bag.

Other than that it looks really great, keep it up.
    Give him a unique pose please!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    He's looking better! I have some more paint overs for you to help push him further:

His skin is currently bothering me, it looks like some of the areas you have painted don't work with the geometry, it's pretty apparent on the side view with the shin and lower lips. His skin is also very yellow and is in need of some cooler tones. Warmer tones will also help the skin look more lively on areas like the nose, ears, cheeks and lips.
    9VNWRCS.jpg
    NBhus3z.gif

I made your renders gray-scale so it could be easier to see where you need more contrast. Some materials also need some more defining, especially the things that need to be shiny like the metal and glass materials. Considering your model is also stylized it would look great with a top-down gradient (lighter on the top darker on the bottom) to help draw attention to the face and help fake the lighting a little bit more. Look up Dota2 or LoL style gradients if you want to know how to achieve this.
    6Sbb8iD.jpg
    C2AWuyn.gif

I hope this helps and keep at it! :thumbup:
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time to get some good work into this guy again, once again thanks for the critiques guys, I really appreciate the input. Alemja, those gifs are really helpful and the critique really made me think about how to go about the texture.

I went about giving a general gradient to the entire model while adjusting the face based on facial hues, and the result is pretty great as you said. I'm loving how he has come out so far.

Looking to wrap this guy up texture wise, so definitely give me your thoughts guys, thanks!

2015-06-01_2215.png
    2015-06-01_2215.png
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work! looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, apologies for the lack of updates, in between work I've been trying to pick rigging back up as I've been kind of lacking in that department for a long time.

Does anyone have any solid tips for painting weights specifically? It's always been something I struggle with, and I've yet to find a really solid source to help me think through it more effectively.

Thanks, looking to update with some posing action soon!
  • MrRagingSunshine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again guys! I worked through the rigging and managed to learn a few tricks along the way, so that's always good. I'm gonna cut it off here and finish this guy up now, so I can move on to a new project so I can stretch out to newer ideas. I wanna thank you guys for the critiques and input you gave, it was incredibly helpful and I'm grateful for it.

Looking forward to my next project, thanks again!

gandryinwebsite_01.jpg
    gandryinwebsite_02.jpg
  • Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    The right top pose is abit awkward, other than that, i think you did a great job :D
    I really love it.