Home General Discussion

About modding games...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Say you worked 2-3 years on a project. You're super proud of your work. All of the team is happy of the art and everthing.

Then during PC release, modders creates new 3D ''upgraded'' models, with new HQ textures, lighting,etc.

Aren't you a lil bit upset that they denaturlazed the original art style and work just to make the game fit their photorealsitic vision?

As much as I'm impressed with, for say, all of the Skyrim mods or the GTA IV mods, in which pretty much, alot of textures, animations, models have been re-worked, don't you think it's like disrespecting the work of the people who worked on it?

I was in a thread earlier and you know how some gamers are really ignorant about the game industry. There's this comment that really made me angry.

They were discussing about the new available mods on a game and then this guy went and said'' Oh man, it's sad to see modders make a better job than the devs''..

It's like these people don't give about the original vision the art direction had for the game, it's like for them, your work is never satisfying and so they completely change the art style to fit their ideal visions on how the game should look like..

It kinda makes me...upset.

Replies

• Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    This forum first started as a modding forum, fyi.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel you. I too had made such comments back when I was just a young gamer...

Now, we have to learn to take it with a grain of salt. you'll run into much worse comments as you walk down this career path. Can never let yourself become demotivated by it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expecting consumers to understand the complexities of development is setting yourself up to be disappointed. This applies to any industry, not just games.

I wouldn't be upset if someone wanted to redesign or improve my work, hell, I've often wanted to go back and re-work my own art. I don't see why this would make anyone angry. Most artists will tell you an asset is never done, you simply have to stop working on it at some point.

Often times with mods, especially mods that remodel or texture assets with higher resolution maps or more polygons, the modders do not have the same restraints as the original developers. If I mod a 1 million poly car into GTA that only runs on super high end GPUs I'm sure someone will think that is cool and download it. If a dev does that, it will ruin performance and compatibility on a wide range of hardware. Modders typically are not working under time constraints either, so it's not directly comparable.

Its sort of like comparing restaurant food to what you can make at home. Sure, if you can afford to buy the best ingredients and spend half the day cooking it, you can make a restaurant quality meal. But can you make 100 of them in a night? Can you make a profit doing it? Etc.. Apples to oranges.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    The way I see it they do what they do because they have the same knowledge and respect for game art as I do, with the added passion to do it on their own time. They've already respected my work, so I would respect there's in turn.

Whatever the uninitiated have to say about it is unimportant. Enter comment sections at own risk.
  • Jonathan_AV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan_AV polycounter lvl 6
    Time restraints and performance costs aside, some people just like playing and experiencing their games a different way.

For example, I've heard some chefs get frustrated when the customer adds extra condiments to certain dishes such as rice, steak, or soup. You'd think the chef would season the food just right to attain that certain perfection, but everybody has their own taste.

I'll admit I've downloaded Skyrim mods that add a ton of trees or torches in one town, but that's just the way I like it.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Well there are a lot of misunderstanding in the gamer community, like EQ mentioned they don't have any restrictions, and also they aren't aware that a lot of the stuff that actually do look good is not created by hobbyists but by professionals in their free time.
    I'm pretty sure most gamers think that the workshop stuff for example is created by non professionals, but in reality the top stuff is created by the best of the best.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Modding is by no means disrespecting something. Modding is done by people in their own free time, working to improve or alter a game which they are passionate about. It also tends to greatly increase the lifecycle and community of a game.
  • DanglinBob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it sounds to me like you're upset because someone is stating an opinion about art. When I look at a painting, even one by a master, and say "I don't like it" - a certain woman in my life will begin a tirade of how I don't get the subtle meaning or how it connects to his earlier works or... well... whatever it happens to be. The end result though is I don't like it and I don't have to justify why.

If someone looks at a game piece, then compares it to a modded game piece and says "I like this one better." - you can't judge them for judging art. It's just personal preference and all the art history in the world isn't going to change the fact that we all see art differently :)

That's of course why it's an important medium for human history and development.

/Soapbox

:D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Trying to force people into enjoying the vision you put down for the art is like trying to force people to play your game the way you want it to be played.

I think it's best to embrace the interactive side of games in every possible way.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Blond wrote: »
    Say you worked 2-3 years on a project. You're super proud of your work. All of the team is happy of the art and everthing.

Then during PC release, modders creates new 3D ''upgraded'' models, with new HQ textures, lighting,etc.

Aren't you a lil bit upset that they denaturlazed the original art style and work just to make the game fit their photorealsitic vision?
    No! I would be thrilled for my work to inspire and enable others to do their own. Could there be a bigger compliment to your work than to continue it unpaid for you?
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Mmm I see your points. Forgive me. I had a really close minded view on the subject.X-(

Yeh, I guess we should take these positively..
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    I can understand taking it personally; artists in all sorts of mediums get very fierce when it comes to people "messing" with their works. The thing that stops me from feeling that way is that I don't want my works to be butterflies pinned under glass.

For me, when a piece of art is shared with others, it becomes theirs too, because its in their imagination. To insist that no one should ever imagine anything past what the original artist created is, for me, missing the point. A game with a huge modding community is a game that's loved. It reached people and made them dream of new things vividly enough that they wanted to share it with others.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I think of it as a positive form of appreciation, only good games are given the time to be modded, they liked it so much they wanted to add to it themselves.

I love seeing the mod community for games I've worked on, means it's not a shit game to me. Especially since I started through a love of modding.

They will also sometimes think of weird or obscure ways of using what we've created, which is always interesting to see it viewed through different eyes.