Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Creating a clean colour ID map?

zogthedoomed_UK
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
zogthedoomed_UK polycounter lvl 8
Issue .. colour ID anti aliasing with Zbrush - xNormal - DDO pipeline

So I've been following some tutorial videos for using Zbrush, xNormal and DDO. Colour Id's being created in ZBrush and the maps exported with xNormal. The video suggests simply using a hard edged brush is enough. I've also tried solid coloured subtools.

One of the videos in Question

https://youtu.be/0A7Pq8bY3SM

1. Unless you're using incredibly high poly counts you won't get a sharp edge in zBrush via poly painting. You can use subtools which helps.

2. xNormal doesn't have a No Anti-Aliasing option (unless I'm missing it) and no matter what I do baking down the high res Colour ID'd mesh to a low poly UV always results in anti aliasing.

Since a lot of people seem to use this pipeline I assume I'm missing something because my colour ID maps are ALWAYS anti alaiased.

One sollution for me would actually be a fuzzy range slider for ID selection. Never do I use a colour thats almost indistiguishable from another so being able to say that this colour is x AND 3 points of R,G or B on either side of it should also be included. Overlaps would occur in the order you choose the colours.

A simpler one would be a way of creating a non anti aliased map from a highres to a low res UV.

Some context .. I've 100 plus characters and game assets to be created extremely quickly. Hand editing each colour ID map will be out of the question so I need as much automation as possible. And I don't always want sharp edges between materials.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies