Home Quixel Megascans

Can you bring multiple map channels/textures in to DDO/3DO?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, is it possible to lead multiple map channels in to DDO? I have a main texture on my mesh but I also want to bring in another diffuse texture to handle the parts of my mesh with transparency. Is that possible?

Thanks

Replies

• Ryan Hawkins
    No need for a multi channel map just goto add material Opacity map and you will have control of the transparency.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks but What I want to do is have two diffuse materials as I need to make a new map for the transparent parts (I don't have room on my first material and for optimization I'd rather have a new map for the transparent parts)

Is that possible? Thanks for your help
  • EarthQuake
    Yes, like Ryan said, add an opacity map, that can be used for the transparent parts.
  • instg8r
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, you can. To answer the question for folks who might be looking to have multiple materials that would not be able to use the transparency map option, you would have to split up your mesh and have each material applied to each model. If you've used Marmoset TB2, you'll be familiar with this. For example, let's say you have a big tank model that uses two textures: one for the body and one for the turret. You might have the tank broken down into separate pieces depending on the animation needs, etc, but you'll want to consolidate it to just two pieces, let's say tank_body and tank_turret. Each of those pieces have their specific material applied to them. Export the whole thing out as one .obj (i.e. big_tank) and bring it into dDo. DDo will see the two pieces when you bring in your mesh. You can click on each one and import your maps for each material.

A bit lengthy, but hopefully that clears things up for you or anyone else who has been wondering this as well :)
  • SpaceJunkee
    instg8r wrote: »
    Yes, you can. To answer the question for folks who might be looking to have multiple materials that would not be able to use the transparency map option, you would have to split up your mesh and have each material applied to each model. If you've used Marmoset TB2, you'll be familiar with this. For example, let's say you have a big tank model that uses two textures: one for the body and one for the turret. You might have the tank broken down into separate pieces depending on the animation needs, etc, but you'll want to consolidate it to just two pieces, let's say tank_body and tank_turret. Each of those pieces have their specific material applied to them. Export the whole thing out as one .obj (i.e. big_tank) and bring it into dDo. DDo will see the two pieces when you bring in your mesh. You can click on each one and import your maps for each material.

A bit lengthy, but hopefully that clears things up for you or anyone else who has been wondering this as well :)
    This works quite well, thank you for the mini-tut. Just to add a little to what you mentioned, I did a quick and dirty test with three meshes and after loading my single obj including all three meshes, I had the option to load input maps for each separate mesh. Here's a shot of the three pieces in 3Do and dDo. Notice the tabs circled in red.

*edit* On a side note, all the input maps are in separate folders for this test. The mesh is in the "box" folder but all the projects were placed in the "cylinder" folder. Is there a way to have each mesh gets it's project saved separately in it's own folder? Everything was saved in a single Project.xml file.
    dDo_SUITE_3_OBJs_1_mesh.jpg
  • ImmortalEmperor
    Offline / Send Message
    ImmortalEmperor polycounter lvl 7
    Been trying to do this myself though for some reason it keeps breaking the connection between the maps and the meshes so that only the first mesh gets a material in 3DO and everything else is a glossy white. Anyone else run into this?
  • instg8r
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    I've personally not run into that. You've added your base maps for each material/mesh, right?
  • Methexis
    Offline / Send Message
    Methexis vertex
    I tried doing the same thing. First I got a list beside the Mesh import recognizing the two models but then when i imported the .obj file Ddo did not recognize the two meshes in a way that you show (with separate tabs for each mesh). I was able to make two sets of maps for each model but I could not use them as one to create an atlas texture common for both.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Methexis - DDO supports one OBJ per project but multiple meshgroups per OBJ. When you use an OBJ with mulitple meshgroups you need to set inputs for each group, and each group will be handled as a separate project. Hope this makes sense :)
  • Darth_Biomech
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth_Biomech polycounter lvl 10
    What are meshgroups? I thought that it is material ID, but that didn't helped, reimport of the mesh doesn't add new meshgroups. My obj meshes are exported out of the max as a separate objects, with separate materials, with separate MtlID's, so I am don't know what else to do.
    I use 3ds max 2012.
  • Vipera
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    I thought that meshgroup is the Element of editable poly (mesh) object in terms of 3ds max. But when I open an mesh object with few elements in dDo I cannot see these meshgroups. How can we create a meshgroup in 3ds max?
  • rubenius86
    This works quite well, thank you for the mini-tut. Just to add a little to what you mentioned, I did a quick and dirty test with three meshes and after loading my single obj including all three meshes, I had the option to load input maps for each separate mesh. Here's a shot of the three pieces in 3Do and dDo. Notice the tabs circled in red.

*edit* On a side note, all the input maps are in separate folders for this test. The mesh is in the "box" folder but all the projects were placed in the "cylinder" folder. Is there a way to have each mesh gets it's project saved separately in it's own folder? Everything was saved in a single Project.xml file.
    dDo_SUITE_3_OBJs_1_mesh.jpg
    dHow have you exported these meshes that DDO knows that it has to seperate tthem? I have a model which is tiled in multiple objects and exported it as an obj. as an group but ddo won´t load it as a multiple object! :(