Home General Discussion

Doing Game Art Test, advice please!

I'm doing an art test where I'm supposed to create a character from a real world person, then stylize it to match game look. I asked the company if it's alright to change it from the reference a bit to make it a new character, as long as it's fitting in the style, and they said "yeah."

So, is it more important to make a character look awesome, and somewhat similar to the reference (Different expression, but keeping some features), or stick very narrowly to the reference? They did not specify how closely I need to match it.

Appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Make what they ask for (they want to hire someone that can make what they need)
    2. Make it awesome
    3. Go above and beyond and give them more than they asked for (if you have time)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    When doing my art test for Naughty Dog they said "dont copy the concept, make it your own"

So instead of making this one small temple in the jungle I made this big temple complex in the jungle. Same style and such but I didnt make the concept image because I thought it would be cooler to show I could go beyond just this single concept image and make it different but still the same theme and style as what they wanted.

They sent it back to me after I turned it in and basically in red drew the concept on top of my test. They said they loved what I did but they want to see the concept they sent me. They said dont copy it exactly but make the concept we sent you.

Bottom line, make the concept they sent you but add your personal details to it to make it stand out. Don't change it from the concept they give you because that concept is what they want. Even if they say you can.

They use the concept as a benchmark to judge your and everyone elses work. Its like, ok everyone has the same concept, so we can really see how each artists stacks up doing the same thing,
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    1. Make what they ask for (they want to hire someone that can make what they need)
    2. Make it awesome
    3. Go above and beyond and give them more than they asked for (if you have time)

I'm a bit sceptical about 3. I hire people and I want artists to stick to specs. If you give me more - in a real production setting - than asked, you're wasting time and money. For an art test, give it extra polish and go the extra mile, but stick to the specs! People who can't stick to specs usually mean problems + extra work for whoever manages them.

except... if the "extras" are so absofuckinglutely awesome that they'll net you so many bonus points, that nobody in their right mind can ignore them ;)
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For extras, I'm talking about maybe putting the character or asset in a simple scene, or on a pedestal. Pose a character or show how a prop can animate or look in motion, or give the asset a little companion asset. Just don't do anything that will distract from the requirements, just stuff that will make the test more awesome and stand apart.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    @ZacD - yes, presentation is definitely important. Although even there it could be hard to draw the line.

I'd definitely try to loot out with the recruiter what it is they are looking for. Accuracy? Creativity? How much feedom do you have in interpretation of the test?

If you have to be exact, limit your "extras" to good craftsmanship. Center on 0/0/0, use proper names for objects, group and organize items in your scene. Make it look neat. Name your files properly. But I would stop there, unless given more freedom.
  • antihero
    Aside from the face, I think they're asking for a bit of creativity. But I'm going to need to redo it to make what they asked for.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I'll let you know how it goes
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Any game company giving anyone a test, is because they see a potential candidate they know nothing about.

At the end of the test, all companies want to see results from (Your test) as though they were the results of one of their own hired artists being assigned this task. If not, someone more amazing who did things they didn't think of doing. It's that simple.

Do anything below those expectations (they have) then you will be put aside to that ignore pile.

Solution: Research who works under the positions you are testing for. See their portfolios and observe what makes their work (work!). Figure out what made these persons hire-able beyond being friendly and easy to work with. Analyze their work, and put yours beside theirs.

Good Luck! :)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Going above and beyond seems to be ok from what I have seen as long as you do what's asked in the art test first. I've seen several character art tests where the accepted tests were full body even though the test asked for just a bust. Now, the ones that were accepted were exceptionally well done but it just goes to show that it didn't hurt them to do more.
  • antihero
    I tried and failed :)

I was going to make this dude more stylized rather than closely match the reference (I think I had a cool idea), but thought better of it.

Anyway, glad they let me try at least.

EDIT: Remove images
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know the specifics of the test, but the texturing is not styalised. It just looks like you poly painted on photo reference. I guess that would be ok if they asked for something realistic, but doesn't work for "styalised". The model doesn't seem styalised either.

First thing that hit be is that both eyes aren't looking in the same direction or one eyeball is slightly higher. That's a big "oops!"

I did just about recognise it as Ryan Gosling. Right?
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Autocon wrote: »
    When doing my art test for Naughty Dog they said "dont copy the concept, make it your own"

So instead of making this one small temple in the jungle I made this big temple complex in the jungle. Same style and such but I didnt make the concept image because I thought it would be cooler to show I could go beyond just this single concept image and make it different but still the same theme and style as what they wanted.

They sent it back to me after I turned it in and basically in red drew the concept on top of my test. They said they loved what I did but they want to see the concept they sent me. They said dont copy it exactly but make the concept we sent you.

Bottom line, make the concept they sent you but add your personal details to it to make it stand out. Don't change it from the concept they give you because that concept is what they want. Even if they say you can.

They use the concept as a benchmark to judge your and everyone elses work. Its like, ok everyone has the same concept, so we can really see how each artists stacks up doing the same thing,

Just out of curiosity, how much time did they give you? And how finished was the end result? i.e. texturing, making sure its in engine, etc.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Make it look as good as you can, that's the most important part.

Use your own interpretation of the instructions as best you can. A lot of the times, studios are looking for a particular mind set from the get go of how someone make art. The way a lot of art tests are given out I'm not a fan of personally.

You can make the character look awesome in either way you described it. I'd come up with the best ideas I could of how to stylize the character and make it look great and then ask myself if it fits in line with their requirements.
    ZacD wrote: »
    For extras, I'm talking about maybe putting the character or asset in a simple scene, or on a pedestal. Pose a character or show how a prop can animate or look in motion, or give the asset a little companion asset. Just don't do anything that will distract from the requirements, just stuff that will make the test more awesome and stand apart.

I'd advice not doing this. Presentation does count but all these bits of animating or making props is a waste of time I think. Just focus on good rendering and lighting for the the final.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    if you get 10 days to do a thing and you finish it in 8...find 2 days of things to make it better.
  • antihero
    I DO think I had an idea that would have at least been more like their style, but I definitely need more experience in general and especially with texturing skin and the face. And yeah, I totally just used a photo to polypaint and obviously it shows.
    Fomori wrote: »
    I don't know the specifics of the test, but the texturing is not styalised. It just looks like you poly painted on photo reference. I guess that would be ok if they asked for something realistic, but doesn't work for "styalised". They model doesn't seem styalised either.

First thing that hit be is that both eyes aren't looking in the same direction or one eyeball is slightly higher. That's a big "oops!"

I did just about recognise it as Ryan Gosling. Right?

Basically, I thought that might be what I was being tested on - whether or not someone would recognize the guy. And you're right about the eye, I thought it might look interesting having it be a little asymmetrical but it looks odd.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I've done this test.

Do you remember their other thing about a certain franchise?

And just to err on the safe side, you did sign an NDA I'm assuming. Unless you got express permission, I'd take the image down and explicit mention of specific test guidelines until they give you an ok.
  • antihero
    Nah don't remember signing anything but I think you're right, thought I was being vague enough but I'm new to this so I'm trying to figure out what I could do better without giving too much detail about their process.

Thanks for that.