Home General Discussion

The Importance of Proximity

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
I would like to get everyone's opinion on the importance of proximity in regards to breaking into the games industry.

I have been presented with the opportunity to transfer to the LA area with my current non dev job. It would be a big move, but I was there a few weeks ago and I really liked it. I currently live in Houston, Tx and my ideal move would be to Austin, but my recent stack of rejection letters suggests that I have a lot more work to do. My thought process is that I could move to LA and while I continue to work on my portfolio, I'll have great networking opportunities and be in a major game dev hub. My family is on board, but I wanted to get some advice from all of you before I move them across the country. I know that my portfolio will be the biggest factor, but do you think that living in close proximity to a game dev hub will make it easier to break in?

Replies

• Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Most of Junior position are actually for local people ! I think it depend on the studio
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It's useful, but not essential. I've definitely gotten more callbacks from local studios than those out of town even when sending in my resume more or less cold, and the value of networking can be pretty huge. Still, there definitely are juniors who have gotten hired remotely, and I have personally had some callbacks from out of state studios (probably not coincidentally, all from studios located outside the big development hubs).
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Portfolio is definitely more important. But being local doesn't hurt and is really more of just icing on the cake.

Have you looked at the cost of living over there compared to Houston TX? I'm not entirely sure how Houston TX fairs, but I live in Alabama and the cost of living is significantly less than the LA area.

It's just something else to consider.
  • DanglinBob
    All of our artists are virtual, but certainly if you are looking at a local studio, being physically there is a plus... but I doubt it is worth the cost of living of LA. I don't know the numbers and LA is huge, so where you live will massively impact that cost. Basically I'd do some research as that transfer may be a significant pay cut (even if they are giving you a raise!).
  • slipsius
    From what I've seen, most "junior" positions go to locals. Companies generally cant justify the moving expenses for a junior person. And it's damn near impossible to get juniors a visa if they have no work xp. Also, smaller studios tend to hire locals as well, because they just can't afford to move someone close. Smaller studios tend to be the ones that hire more junior people. Though, they arent the only ones that do. Being local also lets you attend beer nights and such. Networking is huge when trying to get your foot in the door.

that said, if your portfolio isnt up to snuff yet, I would hold off on moving until it is. The cost of living for game dev major hubs cause be pretty damn pricey, and not worth it if your portfolio wont get you the job regardless of who you might know.

All that said, You can get a junior job from afar as well. It happens all the time. I feel your portfolio just needs to be extra special for them to choose to relocate someone vs hiring a local.

And really, if you're willing to move there on your own, you can always wait till a company shows interest, then if you really want, you can say you`d be willing to relocate yourself. You were going to pay that money anyways, might as well wait till you have a job opp so you avoid the extra rent.

Also, I got a AAA job as a "Junior cinematic animator", and was relocated across the country before. Though, I had 3 years of indie studio xp. I was also the second person hired. The first was hired before me because he was local and could start sooner. I just lucked out that they needed 2.

Just my 2 cents thou.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I think it makes a big difference for a lot of studios how close you are to them. Not a lot of studios can afford to pay people to move out, or even just to fly them out for an onsite.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    According to the interwebs, the cost of living in LA vs Houston is about 30% higher. I'm guessing that's mostly housing costs.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Housing is a big part of that for sure. Depends on what part of LA you live in too. Living on the westside (West Hollywood, Santa Monica areas) is way more expensive than say the San Fernando Valley or Glendale. But also just, just in general, things are more expensive in LA. Still, can't beat living here.
  • JonathanLambert
    Offline / Send Message
    I was there a few weeks ago and I didn't want to come back. The traffic is atrocious but the beaches and the hills are beautiful.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Depends on the part of "LA" you are in. The general area a lot of people correlate with LA are a little broad. If you are talking Los Angeles city itself, or the county, cost of living is definitely going to be pretty high. If you are in the suburbs in Orange County or north of LA like in Oxnard and Thousand Oaks, the cost of living does go down to a manageable rate IMO. Is it still going to be expensive really no matter where you go towards the coast in So. Cal.? Absolutely.

I think if you have a job already lined up to sustain your living expenses out here, and wouldnt mind giving the area a shot while grinding away on the portfolio, why not?