Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Advice and help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

So I have began a project for my demo reel, in-between doing other bits. Now since animating I have never done a scene with characters interacting. What best way to practise then a small fight? Gives me chance to practice all the key fundamentals. Now I have only recently picked up Maya and the Body mechanics pack. I am by no means good with Maya and I am far more comfortable with Max however I cannot deny that Maya just seems the best for animating so am making myself learn.

Now as mentioned this is my first time animating multiple characters interacting so I am looking for any hints and tips to make the process simpler. Time is not a factor with this project since I am in the process of finding a place to live among pulling mad overtime at work.

Is there a set way to go about starting this? Would it be simpler to animate a character fully, so blocking in a few swings until the very end, then animating the other characters actions and reactions to how the previous character is moving. Or is it simpler to block each character at each stage of an action? So animate a swing, then go to other character and animate the anticipation to said swing or the start of a dodge whatever it may be.

I am needing a bit of help with workflow with two or more characters since I am a bit overwhelmed. I think this is also due to zero professional experience. Not picking up a couple of tricks. I know this forum is full of some superb animation professionals so would love some incite! Any hints on Mayas UI to make the transition a bit simpler would also help!

[IMG][/img]4VO4oO.jpg

Replies

• Widunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo! Cool to see you're pushing yourself to learn maya and new things :).

Characters interacting is not easy, so I would advise you to start small. Don't make it a long elaborate fight, focus on one big moment in the fight and end it. Maybe just a killing blow of some kind after a block, something like that. Of course it's up do you, just some advise :).

Regarding workflow, reference is key!
    Do LOTS of research on the kind of moves you want to include. Record yourself with your phone and use as reference. It's common to say animation is 50% planning. Reference is the biggest thing here.

Other than that, try finding the key moments in your animation and create the biggest key poses at first, get a feel for the overall flow and find the timings you want. Don't stress the small things.

If I were to do something like this, I would first plan out my shot, what moves I want them to make. Then look for reference and record some myself. I would then probably plan out the timing of things, when and where what pose should be hit. I would pose both characters. I usually start with the hips, legs comes by itself after that as the hip is sort of deciding where the feet can go. Same with arms, it comes in after the hip has done it's part.

Don't know if my wall of text helped at all, hit me with questions if you have any. And GL HF! :D
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, defiantly got me some ideas. I was thinking a one, two strike from the large guy, with two dodges and then a powerful knee from the smaller guy. Like you said, start small.

Any good sites dedicated to reference? I have found a couple of YouTube channels but they are mainly based around walks, runs and a couple of basic actions like sitting. If the site is worth it I don't mind paying a fee if you can frame by frame and so on.
  • Widunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would really recommend Rhinohouse.com. They have a small fee, but really worth it imo. Great player too that lets you step frame by frame and other neat stuff like saving keyframes in a video etc. Tons of good reference.

There is also tons of free material of course, like referencereference.com and the endless reference youtube channel

You can also just youtube-search or google search and see what you can find :).
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the links, I shall collect a good amount of videos that will help me begin the process, I guess this is also now a progress thread but I do imagine progress will be slow because of moving and so on. A month or so should be settled in somewhere new and can use all my free time after work devoted to this animation!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also on a totally unrelated note Widunder, just took a look at your reel and saw you worked on Old Blood. I am so jealous of your skills!

You and your team did an amazing job with the title!
  • Widunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaw thanks man! Happy to hear you enjoy it!

No skills, just tons of practice ;D. Keep at it!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding Maya playblast, everything comes out really low res and pixelated, even though I have set it to output at full res. Any help to get a nice playblast to show progress would be appreciated!
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Take a screenshot off your settings. So the actual resolution is incorrect and the pixelation is because you stretched the window? Or do you have some wonky compression going on?

Off the top of my head - if you don't have "render offscreen" ticked it will disregard the resolution settings and just grab the size off the slected viewport.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a lot of progress just blocked in a couple of the main poses but I would appreciate feedback from the get go to make this as good as I can get it!

http://syncsketch.com/playground/8e8e60215b6748eeab0a13366a585d02#32955
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Your punch needs some offset. You've got your feet and hand moving at the same time on frame 7. Takes a lot of power out of it, and makes it look a bit awkward
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you slipsius, I shall offset the foot to lead in first by a couple of frames:)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    lead with the hand. that way he is pushing all his weight into the punch with his feet firmly planted.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates are going to be slow as of now for around a week since I will be away from my PC for the entire week :(
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (UPDATE)

Righto had a bit of time to mess with this but I am really struggling to get the jumping knee to look right, both the execution and the landing! Any advice would be so helpful! The only reference I have is from a standing position.

http://syncsketch.com/playground/134cf9bc979f46e28e43697847f0cd71#33773
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Giving this a quick look!

About the knee. The Left foot doesnt feel planted/weighted. So the Knee feels very floaty because its not being properly driven by the foot it should be driven by. Keeping it extended, and only hovering slightly off the ground might help out with that.

Secondly, the Right Knee is worried way too much about landing and not enough about following through to give it a pow. I'd keep it cocked on impact (like you have it) but then push it further into the enemy driving him backwards.

I'd also question your landing foot placement. Just jumping around in my apartment, I always seem to land on my driving foot, keeping my knee-ing leg in air just a little bit longer. Just from a quick ref search, it seems that people either land with their driving foot shown here or land on both feet at the same time shown here. Like i said, super quick ref search, but I'd be interested in seeing where you got your reference from.

Finally it seems less impactful due to the backwards step back to idle. Taking a step forward would help him feel more imposing/impactful on the other enemy.

(Also it doesn't help that the enemy feels very floaty/magnetic-y on his fall. Play with his curves to give him a split second of hang time before coming down like a bouncing ball. Even have him bounce just a lil' bit. Even if its just a block out, it will help to sell the kneeing action just that much more.)

Hope this helps! Just my 2cents.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Heboltz for the detailed feedback, Now been new to Maya the graph editor works differently in max so I am still getting to grips on learning how to work Maya graph editor. Any help or tips regarding that?
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And another update, tried to add more power to the strike as well as sorting the landing. I find it so hard to not adjust the little annoying bits!

http://syncsketch.com/playground/a45063e5e38f46ee866942ede305d7ff#34004