Home General Discussion

Looking for advice on training abroad

mod
Hey guys, so there's a couple things I've been really wanting to do.

The first is to return to studying and learning art on a more serious scale for a couple years. I'm trying to decide what the best way for me to approach this is, whether it's an atelier, community college, self studying, etc. My goal is to simply be more competent at 2d/painting.

The second thing is to travel. I live and grew up in the US but I love seeing the world and would ideally like to mix this with my first goal by studying abroad. I am pretty open regarding where but I do have some ideas of places I would like to be.

What I'm looking for is some kind of school or place I can go to improve my skills, but I would need to be in a mostly english speaking environment (it's my only language unfortunately), and a place that gives me a visa for the duration of time (most places I've looked up have been only 3 months, outside of France/Germany which seem to have an exception for up to a year). Going back to some kind of school seems to be a way to stay longer.

Self study has occurred to me while being abroad as well, but I think I would much prefer a social environment, so I won't go completely insane.

I know I just threw a jumble of text at you guys, and I appreciate any ideas or advice on how I might be able to mix the two. I don't mind spending money on schooling but I certainly don't want it to be an expensive debt-wreck like my original college experience. I would just love to be able to live in a foreign country for a bit while spending a majority of my time on the arts, and traveling in between.

thank you for your time!

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Why not spend 3 months or less in different locations? Hopping from location to location seeing the sights and self studying, maybe taking classes in those specific areas or online? Or maybe jumping from location to location for different workshops being held around Europe or something? Ideas.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hey Add3r, thanks for the reply. I've actually considered that, but I'm not sure how comfortable it will be constantly on the lookout for a new place to live as three months is a very short time. Ideally I'll be able to find a station for 1-2 years and use that as a base to travel from as I study. It's definitely something I'm still considering though, there's just a lot of stuff I have to account for and that's one of the reasons I made this thread. It's so intimidating! haha. Thanks again!
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a U.S. citizen living in Thailand and to over come the 30 days limit, there are services that would drive us foreigners on a bus to the border of the country where we'd leave the country for a few hours, maybe have a meal in Cambodia, and come back in to renew our 30 days. A lot of foreigners are doing this here. Cost around $100 USD or so. I'm pretty sure this service is very common among less-developed countries. Once in a while low-cost airlines offer round trip tickets to neighboring country for even less.

I just made a round trip to Malaysia this week and it cost me $70

Anyway there's not a whole lot of art learning choices here. There are a few really talented 2d artists, some of the most skilled in my country imo, working with me and none of them are interested in running classes. They tried and they no longer want to lol...

Some phenomenal painters, who actually teaches, are mostly in Chinese. Look at this guy...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh that's really interesting. I guess there might be a lot of that out there, I will have to find out what I can. 100$ to renew per month doesn't sound bad at all for something like that. Also, I totally recognize that art. Would be crazy to have them for a teacher. Really cool. Thanks for the tip!