Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First environment piece

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Polycruncher polycounter lvl 4
Hi Folks

I'm new here and i want to share with you my first environment piece. Its a remake of an old tutorial of Tor Frick i did in Unreal4. I hope you like it.

/Jan

ktV8ynq.jpg

522XQ5j.jpg

qRdWDXK.jpg

4aS5AAn.jpg

ccshr25.jpg

MMxGa8W.jpg

CGHJRKv.jpg

dKFUqgp.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Wow. Dem shots.

The photographic style and framing is top-notch. Love the depth and the lens effects, just the right amount.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is lighting. The contrast is fairly aggressive, so while it's very striking, you don't get a good look at a lot of your nice props in the shadows. All of the shelves and benches along the outer walls are getting lost. The best-illuminated area on the floorspace is an empty patch of concrete. Your eye is getting draw there, why's it empty! You could consider adding some kind of hero prop there. I'd get some kind of prop or clutter in there to break up that space at the very least.

Speaking of density, you seem to have done a great job of getting some large and mid-sized shapes in there with the shelves and pipes, but you could use another pass with some more dense details. I'd start by filling up those shelves with some smaller props, to get some richer depth to the clutter. Also, an abandoned space like this would probably have accumulated a lot of debris by now as bits of the walls and ceiling flake and fall off onto the ground- which is very clean at the moment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other thing that really stuck out to me is the hole in the ceiling- it seems a bit chunky/blocky to me. If the roof is sheet metal (which it certainly looks to be, and would make sense for a structure like this), you wouldn't see it break down in big chunks like that. The material also seems way too thick. Sheet metal is fairly thin.
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply. I agree with your critque. i will do another prop pass. maybe i can put an abandoned vehicle in the center of the blank space with an open hood. maybe the engine can stick out a bit as well, stick to a crane or something. I will also tweak the lighting a bit and decrease the contrast. third step will be fill the scene with minor props. I will change the roof as well. I agree. Its to clumpy right now. but at first a have to proceed with my relocation. I'm to buisy right now but i hope i can move on asap to finish this :)

/Jan
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Got some time to start blocking out the Engine for my hero prop:

qjLM8MR.jpg

9l3r0GO.jpg
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last Update for today

14OmW20.jpg
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found some time again. slowly getting there.

T74wZD6.jpg

wWIV516.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing!

Can't wait to see it when it's done. Or how you would even go about LP'ing this. So many little shapes!