Home General Discussion

Kojima vs. Konami: An Investigation (Video)

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Im a sad person now :(
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Good, maybe this will kick him into finally making something that resembles a Zone of the Enders sequal.

I'm a die-hard metal gear fan, but... it's time to move on.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Watched this earlier and thought "this does not look good" soon after Konami officially stated that Silent Hills is cancelled. Then I find out that Konami just delisted themselves from the New York Stock Exchange.

Everything comes to an end, but man all of this is so sudden. On a side note, I wonder whats going to happen to all the big Japanese made IPs. It's becoming very clear that mobile gaming is getting very lucrative in Japan while console gaming is slowing down a lot.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It make sense from a $$$ point of view especially if the owner has no care for video games... But man, treating employee like that...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    oh jeez guys, come on. The entire basis of this video is an email from a guy that thinks KONAMI IS GONNA BURN MGS TO THE GROUND. Sounds like a 12 year old wrote that. Believe it or not Konami doesn't need to BURN THINGS TO TEH GROUND and sabotage their own company to stop making MGS games.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude wrote: »
    Watched this earlier and thought "this does not look good" soon after Konami officially stated that Silent Hills is cancelled. Then I find out that Konami just delisted themselves from the New York Stock Exchange.

bawwww, nvm. sad news.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    aesir wrote: »
    oh jeez guys, come on. The entire basis of this video is an email from a guy that thinks KONAMI IS GONNA BURN MGS TO THE GROUND. Sounds like a 12 year old wrote that. Believe it or not Konami doesn't need to BURN THINGS TO TEH GROUND and sabotage their own company to stop making MGS games.

"burn MGS to the ground" is likely a reference to all future MGS games being mobile titles and crappy spin off gambling games. I think that's equivalent.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    iadagraca wrote: »
    "burn MGS to the ground" is likely a reference to all future MGS games being mobile titles and crappy spin off gambling games. I think that's equivalent.

Did you watch the video? There were screencaps of this person's emails where he said konami is sabotaging their own teams like knocking out their own servers. That's retarded.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Also, torturing your employees to make them quit to evade payment is almost a custom in Japan. Sony does it too. So at least this part checks out.

I hope this all is a hoax. I don't wanna believe it is gonna end like this. Metal Gear vs Pachinko machines....
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you watch the video? There were screencaps of this person's emails where he said konami is sabotaging their own teams like knocking out their own servers. That's retarded.

Like he said in the video, he can't confirm the rumors, so take them as what they are, rumors. The only thing that can be confirmed is that the source is a Konami employee.

As stated, a lot of these rumors sound hyperbolic, but with what we have seen from Konami it certainly does frame their actions pretty well.

Konami pulling out of the NYSE is a pretty good indication that NA is no longer going to be a main focus for them.

Also what TAN said is very true custom in Japan. They don't really "layoff" employees, instead they move you around a lot and give you meaningless work to get you to quit.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5

Thats not a new concept to me, I've both heard of it and seen it.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    spiderDude wrote: »
    Konami pulling out of the NYSE is a pretty good indication that NA is no longer going to be a main focus for them.

Konami announced that months ago to their investors, and said they where doing that because they had to pay 5 million dollars to keep being listed at NYSE while only 0.4% of their stock is being traded there.

so that has nothing to do with anything.
  • AtomicChikkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm seriously wonder how Konami managed to dig itself into a grave. On the other hand, they've been doing pretty terribly over the last several years and even when Kojima was on board, the overall numbers are pretty bad.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    Konami is one of the most mismanaged companies in the history of the industry. They've stopped using nearly all their old IPs over the years, even the most popular of them. They don't even bother to advertise or make enough copies of games published under them. One of their most popular franchises in japan, Twinbee, has not been seen in over a decade. Their most popular toyline, Busou Shinki, was cancelled as the cartoon series started airing. Castlevania was destroyed the moment they decided to do those god-awful 3D ones. Contra, Goemon and Gradius have been relegated to the realm of Pachislot to sit and rot for eternity. Silent Hill 2's rerelease was garbage and they were sued by the voice actor for the game's main character for trying to avoid payment for further use of his work.

Really, none of this is suprising. At all. Any shred of doubt was gone LONG ago.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    TAN wrote: »

The video is back up now.