Home Technical Talk

Rendering Lighting Error? 3DS Max

Hi, ummm I'm kinda new to this site so sorry if this form is in the wrong place but been looking everywhere for it, and I asked my modeling friend but we don't know the answer to this~

So I made a model, and renders fine, but when it dose render when the camera up close to the face of the character it kinda..goes flat for some reason~

Picture: http://prntscr.com/73y8qo

I'm using a 2048 Texture, and Metal ray with MR Sun & Sky

I tried everything in my knowledge but Im not sure what causing this~

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does the material look like? It looks like it has a badly-configured reflection map.

What does the modifier stack look like? An overly-complex stack can cause shading errors.

What do the UVs look like? Bad UVs can cause shading errors.

If you add an Edit Normals modifier, what do the normals look like? You might need to adjust the Display Length control, to make the normals easier to distinguish. If each vertex has split normals, that could cause errors like this.
  • Parsonsda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does the material look like? It looks like it has a badly-configured reflection map.

What does the modifier stack look like? An overly-complex stack can cause shading errors.

What do the UVs look like? Bad UVs can cause shading errors.

If you add an Edit Normals modifier, what do the normals look like? You might need to adjust the Display Length control, to make the normals easier to distinguish. If each vertex has split normals, that could cause errors like this.

here a picture of all my settings, the UV clean, there normals on both to link the head and neck, here the thing aswel, it i put on small texture to picture, it works fine but this high rez texture. so I put the camera away from the object is Fine, if I put it close up it casues this~
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The UVs look OK, and the modifier stack isn't bad.

The material you have clicked on (white outline) is not being used in the scene, because it does not have triangles in the corners of the preview sphere. I bet the material is the blue one to the left?

The Edit Normals modifier needs to be selected, for the normals to appear in the viewport.

Can you delete all but the head + camera, then archive the scene (Save As, Archive) and upload it?
  • Parsonsda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have fixed it by changing the texture to arch and design but this problem may bug me in future, here are the heads nothing on them at all no modifers or anything, as ya see, same glitch
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you upload the Max file? It is best to archive it, so the maps are saved too (Save As, Archive).
  • Parsonsda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what you mean upload it to this site?~
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The .max file, yes.

Except there is a file size limit for attachments. If you hit that limit, I would suggest using a free file host website, like Dropbox.