Home General Discussion

What's With The Ribcages ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hey mates, I always wondered. But don't forget I am not from an art background.

When people make characters, especially females, they just can't stop but almost exeggerate the ribcage.

It almost seems to turned it into a fetish at this point, or at least it seems to me. I can literally count the ribs on a model by just looking at it almost." One two three... on the other side one two three... Yes she has enough ribs. Passed"

On a personal note, I don't even like rib cages. To me they neither look beautiful nor work as intended.

They always seemed like a last-minute stop-gap measure of nature. They are the first bones to break on your body on serious hits. They splatter and cause even greater damage inside. And they are hard as hell to repair.

So what is the thing that eludes me if anything does ? Also we can talk on other body parts or anatomy in general in an artistic way also.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    It's all about the silhouette, really.. Pronounced rib cages make for a more interesting silhouette
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It's such an important part of the structure of a torso, and since artists usually start with the structure of a thing, it makes sense that they'd let it take a more important part of their finished work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    but they are great for playing the xylophone on, makes a lovely sound
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    My current self-study dilemma with ribcages is...I can't tell from photo refs if the last bottom rib (of one side) that's visible on the skin surface is the tenth or ninth. Ribs 11 and 12 are the "floating ribs" which I don't think are visible.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Can you post examples of what you're talking about?

As for reasons why you might be able to see ribs in a lot of art, there are a few:
    1. A lot of artists really enjoy doing anatomy studies, so showing the underlying structure is always fun or informative.
    2. Many -- if not most -- characters that 3D artists make have very low body fat because most of these characters are idealized humans. As such, you're more likely to see things that would otherwise be covered by various layers of fat and other tissue.
    3. Many times, you're not actually seeing ribs. Especially in the case of very muscular characters, it's more likely that you're seeing the serratus anterior and external oblique muscles and their attachment points.

Here are a couple examples of where you can see ribs because of very low body fat/muscle mass:

nDeHaoO.jpg

MdSC2TX.jpg

Here are a couple of images where no ribs are visible, but the serratus and other muscles are very prominent and look a bit like ribs:

diCd0ay.jpg

j7ldn7C.jpg

And here's an example where both prominent musculature and ribs are visible:

CzofnRl.jpg
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    This thread reminded me my lack of practice in anatomy.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Should we post more naked pictures ?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Because it IS pronounced on the naked female figure as people point out.

But seriously I'm getting tired of people shaming others for what they find attractive. Who cares if you find it weird and unnatractive? Go find artists making the things you like.

Regardless this seems like a good place to dump this exxcellent proko vid.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2A4SgWWQpM[/ame]
    On a personal note, I don't even like rib cages

Well that's pretty bleedin obvious. Maybe you would be more into zoidberg?
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Swizzle wrote: »

First I thought about that bu then again I didn't want to post someone's work here and trying to talk on it like I am a big shot. Bu you really nailed down what I was trying to say. Thanks :)

Muzz wrote: »

But seriously I'm getting tired of people shaming others for what they find attractive.

I am shaming only myself here mate. This is basically a "teach me" thread. Like I said in OP "I am not from an art background" and "What is the thing that eludes me" Basically I can not understand why it was held such a high regard. That is it.

My apologies if it sounded otherwise.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Ok in that case I'm just confused.

It isn't something held in high regard. I've never seen any artist ever focus on that aspect of a drawing over anything else.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think a lot of people over do stuff and don't make these kind of details subtle enough. Its like we can look at anatomical images and know whats there, but in reality more often than not, these sort of details are often covered by water under the skin and fat. If you just hint at the ribs when going for realism its usually enough unless you are making a bodybuilder or extremely lean individual.

So I think its a case of people looking at ref saying "okay x amount of ribs, sculpting 1, 2, 3..." Where really it should be more of looking at your reference and try to acheive the same shapes on the surface, not what we know is underneath! I'm guilty of this as much as anyone, just trying to fix these sorta bad habits myself. Also, a minor pet peeve of mine is how people so often choose to do inhumanly lean or muscular studies. I think its a lot cooler to do a slightly above average physique vs. a god like, impossibly to acheive sorta physique. Just my 2 cents on that.

(edit) The ref, of the muscular dude above for example is probably a bodybuilder who is stage ready. Meaning, he doesn't look like that year round, the water has been intentionally depleted and his body fat percentage is most likely much higher 90% of the time. Even bodybuilders don't usually walk around in that kind of condition year round, (I know because I compete myself). The irony of it all, while this guy has an incredibly lean muscular physique people often exaggerate this considerably further, which ends up looking cartoony or deformed. I think these kind of refs are good if you are going for this sorta extreme look, but probably its best to have more average body types to achieve realism.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Man ribs are great. I am pro-ribs.

I can't stand people drawing knees though. Personally If you put knees in your art, I've lost all respect. Also, the inside of an elbow is great but why bother, y'know?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    fearian wrote: »
    Man ribs are great. I am pro-ribs.

I can't stand people drawing knees though. Personally If you put knees in your art, I've lost all respect. Also, the inside of an elbow is great but why bother, y'know?
    I luv neez. I put them in everything, goulash, hats, even shopping bags. How dare you dis neez!
  • Count Vertsalot
    TAN wrote: »

They always seemed like a last-minute stop-gap measure of nature.

Ribs protect all of your vital organs and, at the same time, can expand and contract to allow you to breath. Doesn't sound so last-minute to me. Sounds like a good evolutionary design to have. If they were any thicker and stronger, the ligaments that attach to the spine would have to be stronger, each thoracic vertebra would have to be larger to handle the joint stress, the cartilage and bursae would have to be thicker to compensate for the increased shock from larger moving masses, then your muscles would have to increase in size to compensate for the increased mass of it all. Suddenly we're all over 500lbs now and you've ruined jumping into swimming pools cannonball style forever. Way go to dude.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    bbq-sauce-recipe-for-ribs.jpg

MMhm My kind of ribs...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry, who is first female, just some random women ? She is purrfect IMO. :)
    Swizzle wrote: »

As for reasons why you might be able to see ribs in a lot of art, there are a few:
    1. A lot of artists really enjoy doing anatomy studies, so showing the underlying structure is always fun or informative.
    2. Many -- if not most -- characters that 3D artists make have very low body fat because most of these characters are idealized humans. As such, you're more likely to see things that would otherwise be covered by various layers of fat and other tissue.
    3. Many times, you're not actually seeing ribs. Especially in the case of very muscular characters, it's more likely that you're seeing the serratus anterior and external oblique muscles and their attachment points.

Here are a couple examples of where you can see ribs because of very low body fat/muscle mass:

nDeHaoO.jpg

MdSC2TX.jpg

Here are a couple of images where no ribs are visible, but the serratus and other muscles are very prominent and look a bit like ribs:

diCd0ay.jpg

j7ldn7C.jpg

And here's an example where both prominent musculature and ribs are visible:

CzofnRl.jpg
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Ribs protect all of your vital organs and, at the same time, can expand and contract to allow you to breath. Doesn't sound so last-minute to me. Sounds like a good evolutionary design to have. If they were any thicker and stronger, the ligaments that attach to the spine would have to be stronger, each thoracic vertebra would have to be larger to handle the joint stress, the cartilage and bursae would have to be thicker to compensate for the increased shock from larger moving masses, then your muscles would have to increase in size to compensate for the increased mass of it all. Suddenly we're all over 500lbs now and you've ruined jumping into swimming pools cannonball style forever. Way go to dude.

Oh something I like to discuss all they ! :D ( IMPORTANT NOTE: If I say anything wrong please tell em and please give me links/sources o I can learn. I want to learn about this seriously mates. Really.)

I explained in OP. but let me elaborate a bit. The main idea I am trying to tell is:

Ribs barely can protect themselves let alone protect you vitals.

They are fragile as hell. If you are not a trained athlete or sportsman, or simply an everyday Joe or Jane. a good punch directly to your sides shatters at least one rib. There are few possible no other structure om your body that can be destroyed with such less force.

And believe me that is the "good part"

They are hard to repair as hell when "broken" (not cracked broken) because of their structure, shape and positioning. Have you ever seen in a hospital a broken rib being "replaced" so that docs can hold attachers around it ? There are two ways you either undergo an operation or a doc uses his/her hands from outside.

All I can tell you mate, just pray that they will choose operation and morphine you to moon so you won't remember anything. I know a couple of torture techniques that causes less pain then treating a real broken rib old way.

Oh by the way it is not over.

A real broken rib simply shatters, meaning it will be a free moving element(s) in your chest. Remember that your ribs are just near your lungs and heart ? Yep...

I googled "broken rib" first couple of links gave me results such a this:

Many broken ribs are merely cracked. While still painful, cracked ribs aren't as potentially dangerous as ribs that have been broken into separate pieces. A jagged edge of broken bone can damage major blood vessels or internal organs, such as the lungs.

Oh thanks nature. For giving me a protective part that tries to kill me the first chance it gets. At least it absorbs the damage right ?

A blow that is hard enough to fracture a rib could also injure your lungs, spleen, blood vessels, or other parts of your body.

Wait. You wot mate ? So what is the point of having a skeleton around my centermass that is the easiest part to get hit ? Nature, you 'avin a giggle mate ?

A common injury when you have a fractured rib is a punctured or collapsed lung (pneumothorax).

So this s... happens often ? Like sneezing or caughing ?

The most common cause of a fractured rib is a direct blow to the chest, often from a car accident or a fall. Coughing hard can also fracture a rib

WHAT DA F.... NATURE ! Are you trying to kill me ?

OK I guess now I could express my thoughts on ribs :D

That is why I told "last minute stop gap measure" . It is like nature went:

" Oookaay, everything finished, lets send this design to production.... Wait the centermass is uncovered ?! Sh...e ! I forgot that completely. And the deadline is tomorrow..... Oh I know ! Let me put whatever I got left around it so at least it sounds like a good idea. OK ready. I am done ! ;) "

You know what we can do better :D
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, last minute measure. Most animals have ribs similar to ours; hell, even dinosaurs had rib cages. During hundreds of millions of years evolution created all sorts of wicked, weird creatures, some are beyond imagination. Evolution has enormous power, but it kept rib cages.
    Doesn't sound like last minute measure, does it?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Not having ribs would mean that anything coming into contact with your upper body would also potentially come into contact and damage your heart, lungs, etc.
    It seems more like youre hung up on the concept of damage/pain/repair. Which to be blunt nature does not care about.

All bodies are engineered to try an maximize the odds of survival for as long as possible. If protecting your organs means that a very painful broken rib, then so be it. Yeah you're in pain but your heart hasnt been crushed so you will survive. What if the rib doesnt heal correctly? Doesnt matter, you can still survive.
  • Count Vertsalot
    I think the skull is worse than the ribs. If it's cracked it could hurt your brain. Hell, you're eyeballs aren't even covered. Don't even get me started on the Coxsys. It just sits there. I can't even wag it.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Ribs are kind of important besides protection, because muscles kind of sort of maybe need to be attached to something, unless you're a worm. :)
    4NTdSJQ.jpg

There's always the vertebrae, but from what I hear I'd much rather break a rib than my spinal column.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job Swizzle, now we're all on an FBI database.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I personally think if you ever make another bust model of your favorite game/movie/series, you're a disgusting human being who needs to be quartered and who's ribcage be used as a beehive.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    MrHobo wrote: »
    It seems more like youre hung up on the concept of damage/pain/repair. Which to be blunt nature does not care about.
    /QUOTE]

I guess that is right.

Ok then let's pull the conversation to an anther point. Aesthetics.

So you mates think that structure is ... well.... likeable ? Is it aesthetic in your opinion ?

Me ? :D Well without fat and muscle that really erases it's existence from the eye.... nope most certainly no.