Home Adobe Substance

Is it worth it?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I'm wondering if Substance Painter is worth the money. I already have Zbrush and I know I can texture objects using that. I've barely tapped my feet into texturing so I don't know the limitations or disadvantages of Zbrush. I'm toying around with the trial version of Substance and to me it feels very similar to Zbrush. If Zbrush can pretty much do everything Substance Painter can do, it may not be worth it. I'm just wondering if I should just use Zbrush and glance over this program or if I should look into perhaps buying it. What advantages does Substance Painter have over Zbrush?

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Zbrush is a sculpting tool.

Painter is a material painter.

They are VERY different products. For just material creation and application, Painter is fantastic.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Quack said. Painter can do many things Zbrush can't, and Zbrush can do many things Painter can't because they serve different purposes.
  • gruntpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Patty,

Like everyone is saying. Substance Painter and ZBrush are 2 very different packages. The only thing I use ZBrush for as far as texturing goes is painting my ID Maps and my Diffuse for facial skin textures.

As far as costs...Painter is very cheap for how powerful it is. You can do all of your texturing in it. It's very easy to use and Allegorithimic provides excellent FREE tutorials on youtube to learn all of their programs. Along with buying Painter, it has an awesome Post Effect engine in it called Yebis I believe.

Download the trial and see if you like it. If you do, buy it :)

https://www.allegorithmic.com/download