Home Technical Talk

Exporting multiple Subtools with Polypaint/Vertex Colors

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Trixx polycounter lvl 4
I'm back with another question! I was wondering if its possible to export my subtools as one .obj with vertex colors intact. I've tried using Decimation Master to export all of my subtools as one .obj, but it doesn't preserve any vertex color information like the Subtool Master.

I also tried exporting each seperate subtool as their own .obj with Subtool Master, and I loaded them all into xNormal to bake all at once to one low poly mesh, but I get these results:
c3Il5zc.png

Does anyone know the best method for baking multiple subtools with polypaint to one low poly mesh? I've tried merging the subtools before exporting, but that destroys my polypaint. If someone knows a better method with that approach, that will work too.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Trixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trixx polycounter lvl 4
    Never mind guys! I found the solution. I had layer recording turned on in my subtools, and that was causing the polypaint to be destroyed when I merged all of the subtools.

So to anyone that finds this, make sure to turn off layer recording, merge all your subtools, export as one .obj, and all the vertex color information is exported with it. My diffuse came out beautifully!
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Trixx,

Just in case you didn't know in the preferences menu in decimation master setting you just have to select preserve polypaint and after decimation you will keep all the polypainting.

Generally 20% will keep the topology fine and retain enough detail on the polypaint.