Home General Discussion

You may have hated on the Amazing Spider-Man 2 but....

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
BUT DAMMIT!!!!, these CGI swinging shots were completely mindblowing and you can't argue on that.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F--wGjZNDGI[/ame]

An animation prowess If I may say so and a rendering one too!

Animation behind the scene: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLXI4w2nuc[/ame]

Rendering behind the scene: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG2qDR5ka5w[/ame]

Props to Sony Imageworks. I hope I'll be able to animate like that one day.:drool:

This isn't a thread to talk about how the movie sucked or to discuss if the original trilogy was better (we alreadu have enough of these).

This is a thread that was simply made to acknowledge that CGI feats that were presented to the spectators ( I could almost feel the wind during swinging in theaters).

I am especially amazed by the swinging scene from TASM2 but the one from Raimi's movie were also good.

Here's a comp of all of theme.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25JtAgroN0[/ame]

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Holy moses, that's some jaw droppin stuff. I have enjoyed every one of the spidey flicks and it amazes me how they always succeed in taking the concept to 11. My favorite super hero. Thanks for the clips!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I like this film and I dont even care. The beginning pov shot's were amazing I had no idea some parts in the film were cgi, it's damn good animation and rendering.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I liked it too. Electro was kinda wonky, but I was very satisfied with the film on the whole. Thanks for the clips. I think I may watch this again tonight just to admire the great work done on this.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Dude I think you win the award for most clickbait titles on Polycount.

The breakdowns are pretty sweet though.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    His swing poses were pretty legit. He seemed a lot more aerobatic in this movie then in previous movies.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I thought the movie was good!

was sure as hell better than this:
    sZiwa69.gif
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Man i loved amazing spider man, and 2 even more.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I thought the movie was good!

was sure as hell better than this:
    sZiwa69.gif

Oh man, How come I never noticed it was a doll?! Ha ha ha.

Hey, anyway, my favorite swinging sequence is when he chases Electro, the scrambling-swinging motion is simply phenomenal..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Blond wrote: »
    Oh man, How come I never noticed it was a doll?! Ha ha ha.

Well that, and her hair is going the wrong direction
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    That too + lighting stays the same. SUspension of disbelief make sit all work I guess.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Doctors worldwide HATE on this weird Spiderman rendering trick !
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    well, to be fair, ont eh first tamsp moviue, they used alot of practical effect.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzwU9KYsPfs[/ame]

I'm in awe.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I can appreciate that the graphics and special effects of The Amazing Spider-Man were capably implemented. But I'm still going to hate on that movie. As I've pointed out numerous times, the quality of the tools do not dictate the quality of the final product. What those tools are used to produce effects the final outcome.

In the case of this film, we have very capable tools being used capably by very capable people, to make a movie that sucks something awful. I envy those who are able to appreciate these quality elements while ignoring everything flawed about the film. I can't turn my brain off to the obscenely bad screenplay, wooden acting, and terrible characterization.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I envy those who are able to appreciate these quality elements while ignoring everything flawed about the film. I can't turn my brain off to the obscenely bad screenplay, wooden acting, and terrible characterization.

I honestly pity those that can't. Nothing is flawless, and if you focus on nothing but the flaws, you don't ever appreciate anything. Sure, some flaws are more minor than others, but I've always found giving things the benefit of the doubt, and enjoying things for what they are makes everything in life more enjoyable.

Just roll with the good and forget the bad.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Loved the look of this movie. To bad the actual movie sucked :/
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, cool stuff. This movie had some of the best spider-man swinging and action scenes, and best version of the costume too IMO. Too bad it's by far the shittiest spider-man movie in almost every other regard. Seems like they were too fixated on setting up sequels they forgot to think about actually making this movie good.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Never saw any of the Amazing Spiderman movies cause the villain designs were so stupid in both movies.

I was very happy when it was announced that Spiderman was being rebooted again because it meant we didn't need to stick around with those design decisions any longer.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A few good effects scenes do not a good film make. Look at the 3rd Raimi film for example - The creation of the Sandman sequence is a really striking piece of CG animation
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXOa5bWFRKw[/ame]

Everything around it is still rubbish though
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One wrote: »
    Just roll with the good and forget the bad.

While I agree with your sentiment, I can't approve of this particular statement. Forgetting what you don't approve of is denial.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And more importantly, giving money to crappy movies just encourages the creation of more crappy movies.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I don't have the same feeling, I haven't watched the movie, but I can tell the shaders on the spiderman's cloth look unrealistic and you can see it's CG there, it's like the city on the background, even being 3D, was more convincing than the character itself. Animation is fantastically well done, but there could be a bit better filtering or shading on spiderman's cloth on the rendering side.

Hope someone noticed it too?
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    While I agree with your sentiment, I can't approve of this particular statement. Forgetting what you don't approve of is denial.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

You got me there. I should have said "forgive the bad".

Also, I may be in the minority, but at this point, I only go the theaters to watch movies that are big on effects or action. I much rather watch deeper movies in the comfort of my own home, where I can comfortably reflect on what I'm watching.

Mad Max, Jurassic World, Terminator: Genisys, Ant-Man, Mission: Impossible are all movies that I want to see in the theaters. None of them are based on any new IP, and none of them are going to have exceptional dramatic acting or depth.

Are they going to be perfect films? Probably not.

Are they going to make money? I'm going to go out on a limb and say "yes", to one degree or another.

Am I a part of the problem? Sure.

The AAA gaming industry suffers from the same problems. Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, are established IPs. They all have flaws, but they're all still entertaining games. More importantly, they all make money, and until that changes, we're going to continue getting more of them.

Bottom line: I still find a lot of the huge releases of movies and games to be entertaining, despite the flaws they might have. I much rather have imperfect Superhero and Sci-Fi films, than none at all. If they don't make money, they're not going to make them... at all.

As an aside. I liked the last two Amazing Spiderman movies far more than the Raimi Trilogy. I though Garfield's portrayal of Spiderman was superior to Maguire's.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Jackablade wrote:
    And more importantly, giving money to crappy movies just encourages the creation of more crappy movies.

Perhaps it does but Hollywood already learned a long time ago that crappy movies can be quite profitable. I don't think they need any encouragement at this point :p

X-one wrote:
    If they don't make money, they're not going to make them... at all.

People desire to create stuff, if there were no FX driven blockbusters there would still be all kinds of other movies getting made.
    In fact movies that aren't expected to make big money are being made all the time, just not necessarily in hollywood or US.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One wrote: »
    Are they going to be perfect films? Probably not.

Well, I'm not demanding perfection. This is a cop-out that a lot of the boom-fest crowd bring up whenever someone criticizes the "Bay" school of film-making.

Making a big-budget summer action flick doesn't mean that you have to make a brain-dead film, or a poor film. And we've had numerous examples of this over the past few years. While films like Transformers (it doesn't matter which, just pick one) are aggressively bad, the Marvel Studios offerings have been solid across the board, while still being action-heavy. Guardians of the Galaxy came out last year and nailed it. Avengers: Age of Ultron just recently nailed it.

These movies don't have to be perfect, far from it. But making a spectacle-fueled flick doesn't give you a license to ignore basic tenets of script-writing, directing, and cinematography. And making a profitable movie doesn't really excuse you from this either. Perhaps in the eyes of the shareholders, but what artist in their right mind would be satisfied with that?

There have been enough prime examples of high-quality, enjoyable popcorn films that I am now growing increasingly tired of Platinum-Dunes-style offerings.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dunno, I would call reality tv aggressively bad. Something so awful people become even less intelligent while watching it :) After watching transformers I could still eat an ice cream on my own, while after 5 seconds of jwow I went blind.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Just want to point out (to Richard Kain), that not all Michael Bay films have sucked... If anything largely just the "spectacle" films like transformers have sucked.

The actual story driven films like The Rock (which people seem to forget he made), or The Island are pretty good! So maybe the problem with the transformers movies was quite literally that they said "people want to see robots and explosions".
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He gets another strike on his name for Pearl Harbour though. I'd put The Island alongside Armageddon in the "only if I was really hungover and it happened to be on TV" part of the list.