Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seraphim (WIP)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deano93 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys. This is my final year project for university, still currently a WIP. The basic idea is to create a game ready model of a seraphim.

All advice and criticisms are welcome so feel free to pick it apart.

Anatomy_zps53749559.png

CharacterArmourWIP_zps26882d13.png

Weapon_zpsa7159951.png

CharcterwithwingsWIP_zps5d21a1a9.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why do his abs look abnormally concave?

And why are his pectoral muscles so flat?

EditorialThumb_6.jpg?itok=8VoQ_3LS
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback. I've worked on the things you've pointed out.

Anatomy_Update_01_zps3f283c30.png
  • martygalinskas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martygalinskas3d polycounter lvl 4
    neck is too thin from the side view and head seems too small.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's a Seraph. He's only Seraphim if he has some friends.

Before you get too into building your feathers (which are looking nice if in need of a bunch more layers), you need to take a good look at the anatomy and particularly the musculature driving the wings. Having three sets of massive wings extending from his back is going to have a not insignificant affect on his overall anatomy.
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neck is too thin from the side view and head seems too small.

Thanks for the critique. You were right. It was around half a head to long proportionally. I've corrected it and thickened the neck a little.
    Jackablade wrote: »

Before you get too into building your feathers (which are looking nice if in need of a bunch more layers), you need to take a good look at the anatomy and particularly the musculature driving the wings. Having three sets of massive wings extending from his back is going to have a not insignificant affect on his overall anatomy.

Ahh right, I didn't realise that was the plural, my bad.

Because I'm making it a character for importing into Unreal engine 4 I'm actually going to bake out a few types of feathers on to planes, then place them in 3dMax. So they'll be more layered and filled out when it comes to that stage.

Yeah I've been trying to solve the placement of the six wings for a while. I'm planning on enlarging some of the back muscles then making the wings attachment more muscular. So it should look like he can support them.

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have close ups of the face?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »

Yes. this.

Either you'll need some very interesting creature design, or just go the comics route and ignore it entirely, having them magically pop out from his back where you want them through convenient holes in the armor that couldn't have fit over the wings anyway.

I've tried to do the 6 wing thing, Its tough to do believably on a humanoid of normal human proportions (frankly even 2 is). If you want to go for 6, you might want to spread them across the back of the rib cage, or give them all a common root, so there are only two main wing stalks to deal with, but they spread to 3 limbs each. Just remember that flapping motion is handled by muscles pulling down and in on the lower wing limb via the pectoral muscles, so you'll need some analogue if you're going the proper anatomy route.
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since the last update but the projects still on going.

The wings have been attached now. They've been shrunk down a bit to make it feel a bit more realistic, there was just no way I could could get a realistic look with them being that size.

I went with a bit of a different approach to how angels might normally have their wings. I've done it as if the bones grew out of the back, kind of forcing themselves out, pushing through the skin.

Wings_Back_zpstsuffcgj.png

Wings_Size_zpssmqagjan.png

I've also done all the retop and the unwrapping so I should have updates with some texturing pretty soon.I'll be using a mix of photoshop and substance painter. I'm hoping to have it finished within 2 weeks ready to be rigged, imported into UE4 and do some beauty shots.

The lowpoly character currently sits at 16k tris without the wings, with them it's 33k. Although I will be editing the wings a bit more so this could change.

LowpolyModels_zpsrohzotcm.png
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update on texture work. Still not calling these final so they're likely to be tweaked and fixed up a bit.

Images are taken from within UE4.

Armour_01_zpsrbxmqbnv.png

Weapon_01_zpsptz2rroz.png
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I'm enjoying the clothing textures that you have, they look pretty solid (I'd say maybe just turn down the amount of spec on the skirt, it's starting to look a bit too close to the metal above it). I think thought that the top half of your hammer still needs a lot of work. I can't really tell what materials they are at the moment. Pretty good progression!
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Nick.

Yeah I agree the hammer still needs a lot of work atm. It's mostly the roughness values I need to sort out I think to make the material read better.

I should have a post of more texture work coming up in the next couple of days.

I'm hoping to get this wrapped up by the 28th
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to render it out now. Added in some APEX cloth to give the character a little life in the turntable.

The project is due in a couple of days now so any last min C&C would be appreciated :)

dean-lawrence-render-02.jpg?1430607655

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7IyYvfFVHg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7IyYvfFVHg[/ame]
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this project finished now.
    Thanks to everyone for their critique, it's been a huge help and is really appreciated.
  • devonmousseau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devonmousseau polycounter lvl 4
    Hey man, if you don't mind my asking, how did you achieve that cloth wrap effect around the hammer?
  • Deano93
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Nice work! Did you create a lowpoly for this character?
  • Deano93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Above the post where I started texturing is a post with a lowpoly screen. Everything from there is the lowpoly model in UE4.
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    Those wings man so epic! :)