Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Gauntlet

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys!
I started working on this fantasy leather gauntlet today, I had to do something new because my current bigger project is completely draining my creativity. So, what do you guys think so far, is there something that looks off and do you have any thoughts in general? Take note that it is in quite an early stage so the polish is pretty poor and there really isn't any detail to speak of. Thanks in advance for your advice! :poly121:

Us6yhkB.png

vB2bb6C.png

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I changed a few things around, what do you guys think now? I still haven't added any detail but I still would like to hear your opinion.

9neHz8F.png
  • Lukitscherie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe I don't understand clothing, but the seams seem redundant to me. Seems like you would be opening and closing the buckles to wear it, but the seams would stay fixed and get in the way.

Other than that I don't know a lot about ZBrush but it looks good to me, I like the pattern of the mail.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I thought of looking at this is if you made the highlighted digits bare skin and used those loops in the back as arrow holders, this would be a ballin' archers glove.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I don't understand clothing, but the seams seem redundant to me. Seems like you would be opening and closing the buckles to wear it, but the seams would stay fixed and get in the way.

Other than that I don't know a lot about ZBrush but it looks good to me, I like the pattern of the mail.

I don't know if by seem you are referring to the rings, however, if this is the case, the thought is that where the rings are the leather is so loose that it kind of just slides on, as for example the upper part. Then you use the straps to tighten the glove, so that it is fixated. You can almost view it as a plate as well as a glove, the chain mail is supposed to be a loose part and the leather glove slides over it.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    One thing I thought of looking at this is if you made the highlighted digits bare skin and used those loops in the back as arrow holders, this would be a ballin' archers glove.

Interesting, I like the idea of the arrows, bare skin not so much. Its not a bad idea with the bare skin but I think it kind of sends mixed messages with chain mail and bare skin together, like it should be armored or not.

The arrow idea I really like though, first I kind of thought of having small potions in that space kind of like the Witcher or something. But arrows could be just as cool, but I'm thinking more crossbow bolts then, since they are shorter and wouldn't get in the way as much. Thanks for the thoughts!
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't been able to work on this gauntlet for quite a while but I had some time of this weekend. I tried to make the glove a bit more natural looking with some wrinkles, I'm struggling a bit with it. What do you think of this change?

mJHJaDq.png
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator wrote: »
    I haven't been able to work on this gauntlet for quite a while but I had some time of this weekend. I tried to make the glove a bit more natural looking with some wrinkles, I'm struggling a bit with it. What do you think of this change?

mJHJaDq.png

the wrinkles make it look more cloth than leather. (it IS leather... right?:poly142:) take a look at some leather reference, they pinch differently..

im not convinced by the chainmail inside. looks a tad too small. you can try to enhance its depth for readability.

i don't get why the chainmail is sealed off by some leather/cloth border at the top of the glove though. is there a gauntlet like that? will be good to see your references used.

edits: i like your seams. you can enhance the gauntlet by sculpting definition of the fingers wearing it + wrinkles, like those leather gloves. keep it up!
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happybell wrote: »
    the wrinkles make it look more cloth than leather. (it IS leather... right?:poly142:) take a look at some leather reference, they pinch differently..

im not convinced by the chainmail inside. looks a tad too small. you can try to enhance its depth for readability.

i don't get why the chainmail is sealed off by some leather/cloth border at the top of the glove though. is there a gauntlet like that? will be good to see your references used.

edits: i like your seams. you can enhance the gauntlet by sculpting definition of the fingers wearing it + wrinkles, like those leather gloves. keep it up!

Thanks, ill try to make the leather seem more leathery, so to say, I see the problem. As far as the rest goes, I didn't really have a reference for it since its fantasy but the style I'm going for is a bit inspired by the Witcher. The covered chainmail is also from the new design of geralt, namely his shoulder pads, see pic.

468px-Witcher1e3.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I adjusted the wrinkles and added quite a bit of detail to the glove. What do you think of this? (Don't mind the potion bottles/mini-beers, they are merely placeholders xD).

nC0fsUx.png
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, I started coloring, this is pretty much how far I've gotten and I'm just trying out color combinations at the moment. I did this yesterday but looking at it today, I think I overdid it, there should probably be less combinations, what do you think? (only the main part of the glove is colored, the rest is just filled)

oMMQyPk.png
  • gruntpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Maxilator! Glove is looking pretty cool. I would suggest adjusting the seams on the 3 fingers with the seams running down the top and bottom of the fingers and move em to the side. As far as patterns go with fabric making, it just makes more sense...unless you possibly show that the glove has been damaged and self repaired it would make more sense to have the seams run that way. Also the folds in the glove should run parallel to the belts do to compression it would create.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gruntpunch wrote: »
    Hey Maxilator! Glove is looking pretty cool. I would suggest adjusting the seams on the 3 fingers with the seams running down the top and bottom of the fingers and move em to the side. As far as patterns go with fabric making, it just makes more sense...unless you possibly show that the glove has been damaged and self repaired it would make more sense to have the seams run that way. Also the folds in the glove should run parallel to the belts do to compression it would create.
    Thanks! You are right, the seems are really weird, I contemplated on whether or not to keep them that way but now that you say it I cant really keep them in that awkward fold.
    The leather is even worse, I can't believe I screwed the direction up so bad :poly116:. I tried making a little part of it running horizontal and it all ready looks way better, I'll post again when I have made all the alterations.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, go the wrinkles redone and removed the color, I didn't like it. I'm thinking if just making the color this brown with some details a little bit darker, what do you think of this?

hACWFDP.png
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    Cool looking glove.
    Definitely put some value changes between different parts of the glove, it looks too boring right now.
    Also, the chain mail at the opening of the glove isn't painted.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren wrote: »
    Cool looking glove.
    Definitely put some value changes between different parts of the glove, it looks too boring right now.
    Also, the chain mail at the opening of the glove isn't painted.

I'm aware of this, all I have done here is sculpted and put some base fill color on it, I'm texturing right now :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, started coloring a bit, I'm kinda happy with it so far, I'm kinda considering putting some deeper cuts in it on some places but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

vZnvd8X.png