Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2015 - Render to texture, Visible Seems, Padding problem

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
horrorente polycounter lvl 5
Hey. Last week we had so switch over from max 2011 to max 2015. Now im facing several problems and I cant find a solution. I'm working for 8 years now with this program and feel a little stupid here, like in the first days.

1) The Element Background Color when rendering to texture is completely ignored by max. Its always just black (Except normal map, it just gets white).

2) When rendering Normalmaps there is a strange white in the padding. (May be in relation with the Element Background Problem.)

3) The Edgepadding does not seem to work correctly. In the AO I always get black visible seems (May be in relation with the Element Background Problem.)

4) The hard Edges on the normal map and AO map are not nice, sharp and crispy, they have a weird noise in them.

- Using NVIDIA mental ray renderer
- latest service packs are installed
- trying to bake AO, normals, complete and difuse map.
- using a new scene does not help, neither restarting max or the computer.
- Of course I could use other tools like xnormal, but since I often need maxmaterials, I want to get this done in max.

Here is an example maxfile:
http://workupload.com/file/pxKXVNqu

Thanks for help in advance.

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Why not render with Scanline? I can never get good baking results with mentalray
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baking in max is... difficult but not impossible it would be great if Autodesk actually fixed long running problems but they haven't and they don't seem like they are going to so here are some work arounds to get you "better" results...

Background color: Only use mental ray for Ambient Occlusion, switch to scanline for everything else, diffuse, normal, spec, height ect... Especially normal maps it will never get the background color of normal maps correct. It's been such an stupid bug for so long I don't think they'll ever fix it.

Edge Padding: There are two things you can do here.
    1) Only add one output map at a time, diffuse, render, delete, add normal, render, delete, ect... This still might fudge up the edge padding in newer versions of max (2011+) but it did solve the problem in older versions.
    2) Render with no edge padding and use the xnormal dilation filter to add edge padding to your maps, this is what I use.