Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40k Dreadnought

TheRod
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TheRod polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys I started this project a while ago and forgot to start a thread for it, so I thought i'll jsut post some WIP's followed by the current stage my project is on now. It's still unifinished have few more bits to do. First time using substance to texture it's pretty damn cool. :D Would love to hear your thoughts on it, so I can make those all important changes to pose, detail and so on.

Here it is, Dark Angels dreadnought...

p134RhU.png

oZf98zn.png

fVcMd1g.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cool stuff man. The high poly is excellent, really awesome job there! The texture could still use a lot of love though. I think it just isn't reading great right now. I think its a combination of the render (lighting), the pose, and some not so ideal color choices. Maybe someone else would like to chime in to elaborate. But based on the high poly I think the end result could be pushed a lot further. Nice work though!
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    This is pretty nice, good attention to detail, wear and tear done well. Nice colors too
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, will change the pose n lighting once its done so maybe will look better then :)
  • BubblegumTate
    Offline / Send Message
    BubblegumTate polycounter lvl 5
    TheRod wrote: »
    Thanks guys, will change the pose n lighting once its done so maybe will look better then :)

I love the grey render, looks like an unpainted miniature. Spot on.

As for the top render, and subsequent shots, I think you could really play up a couple of things. Most images of dreadnoughts, miniature or art, are usually up-shots or forward facing. it's a large machine, it should feel daunting. Also, the green background with green painted metal doesn't help it to pop. As for the pose, having both legs planted strong in the ground will help to give it weight and feeling as a large war machine.

I think it's going to be an awesome display piece.

latest?cb=20110306233737
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback, I have a base for it yet to be done one foot in on a rock thats y it's raised, but yeh will play around with background and pose once all the pieces are done :) might even have to use that pose from that image u showed its pretty cool!
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    This might help
    QEgQeL3.jpg
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    some more updates!
    3m17Dh8.jpg
    l0tczoK.jpg
    aItlAwB.jpg
    zNddcKj.png
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    any other thoughts on final images?
  • reckzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    reckzilla polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, I'll throw in some minor things I see.

1. Some of the damage is really large the weird thing is it makes your model looks "small"
    i.e. The bullet whole in the shoulder are kind of large just for the sake of first impressions, as an audience we almost immediately think handgun so the holes are big so it can viewed as a small mech but if the thought continues it's obvious that holes could come from AA guns, gatling guns, shotguns anything but just saying.

2. Saturation!!!! In some places namely the tips of the rocket and the green paint are a bit over saturated so the paint feels toy like so color weathering and pulling back on the saturation bit could add some epicness to it much like the concept art.

3. A senior artist friend of mine always yells this at me so I'll say it to you!!! "Put a platform under it don't let float in space!!!" I think a platform and some cool rocks will really make it pop maybe even take some of the flags and place them around him waving in a different direction to suggest wind!!!!

Just ideas great work, I love this guy!!!!
  • TheRod
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRod polycounter lvl 9
    only heavy weaponry could create holes in a dreadnought such as a Heavy Bolter, and they are narly the size of a space marine, which are twice the size of a human, it fires a .998 caliber round even the marines standard Boltguns fire a .75 caliber bullets so you can imagine the size of them :) im following Warhammer universe. As for saturation I'll look into will try tweak make it slightly less it and yeah still working on base :D thanks for ur thoughts