Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Team Robo WiP

MrTrip182
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MrTrip182 polycounter lvl 2
I am new to the Polycount Forums, so I thought I'd start with a WiP thread. I found this robot online and am working on making a 3D game asset. I am starting with a high poly model and I will update this thread as I finish it and move on through the process. The goal is to have a fully textured and rigged game asset in Unreal 4 by the time I'm done. I would welcome any comments and critiques.

Design by CreatureBox
http://creaturebox.com/

0v4SCHn.jpg

e0men7K.png

CtXRwwu.png

Replies

• Revocare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unique concept, looking forward to more!
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    you should really get that oval shape right before adding an more detais. Maybe try adding more parts to get the overall feel of the shapes before splitting more polygons. What software are you using...Its a nice concept and you are creating clean lines which is nice.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Nice concept choice.

Try to block in the whole body before going into detail. It will be a pain if you have to resize the inside cables because the proportions don't match.

Best of luck!
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    yes if you have any issues with scale and proportions when all done with the single parts :D
    und u got something to reposition scale and form omg... :P
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I really like what you've got so far. My critique would be that I would say to maybe look at the proportions and shape that you have right now if you're going to be trying to go directly from the concept. I would do an overlay and try to adjust the shape accordingly. Right now it looks like the top is a bit too flat, the little spike/bolt things on the bottom are too large and separated, and the little circle thing in the middle is too far up and directly looking at the camera, in the concept it is angled down a bit. Other than that I really enjoy your start and this concept is pretty great!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i would say you need to flesh out the rest of the parts before you start shooting more polys at it. You have a lot of shapes wrong and they aren't setup to join together with other parts. It would also help you get a better sense of scale. I would make sure everything flows well and can move properly before the edge loops are added for the HP
  • MrTrip182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few more WiP pics. I still may work on it for another couple of hours so i may post more later tonight but this is what I've done so far today.

oobersli - As always, you feedback is invaluable and I will incorporate it into my workflow.

nickcomeau - You are 100% right on the bolt things at the bottom. I will re-size them today.

OctoKube - I am modeling this in modo 801

RiANLCR.jpg

0WZ9wYR.jpg

3JaFpG1.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The shape of the tubes in the illustration gives it a bulging outward look, while the shape you created makes it look like the tubes are going straight down.
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    be careful, that concept art has a lot of depth perspective in it, simply superimposing your 3d model on it to match the scale of the drawing wont do it justice. The head is small at the top because from our view it looks smaller, think of looking up at a building and seeing it shrink at the top (the robot isnt that tall so it has this effect at a lower rate)
  • MrTrip182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a few days since I've had a to update this thread, so here goes. This is still very much a WiP but that arms are coming along nicely I think. Any thoughts or feedback?

kE9GuZo.png
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I feel the center of the belly with the tubes is actually more spherical and recesses into the body instead of flat like you have it. A spherical shape is also much more interesting than just being flat.

I feel the shoulders and head need to be bigger as well.

Don't rely on overlaying your model trying to match the concept to get the finalized scale. Use your eye judgement. By all means look at the reference, but also look at the parts in relationship to each other to better determine the scale.

Also do take note of what OctoKube has said. The reference image perspective is skewed a bit. Keep that in mind and try and use your best judgement.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I think this is looking pretty spot on right now, great update! I do agree with Tobbo's comment though, so keep that all in mind when moving forward :) you should post a side/ 3/4 view as well
  • MrTrip182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a few weeks off from this project but I'm back working on it now. So I thought it was time to update this with some now WiP Pics. I am done modeling in MODO and will be taking it into Zbrush next. In Zbrush i will adjust the shape in the front (making it rounder) and i will add some wear and tear. Once that is done I will be back in MODO to retopo and turn him into a low poly game asset.

WBD91iF.png

wJeXZLP.png
  • MrTrip182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My finished model, rendered in Unreal 4. The texture is close to the reference, however, I made a few creative changes to suite my own style. The low poly model came in just under 32,000 tris.

vJK0KFd.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    pls more lights
    one can hardly see all the work u put in this... three point lighting ftw
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    agreed with the 3 point lightning to showcase your work :)
  • MrTrip182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]8e20bf5e82864dc1ae51de153560df28[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
    most of that wire detail could have stood to be planes. there's so many of them that are mostly out of sight or in places where them being full geometry would go unnoticed.