Home General Discussion

Anyone own a Bosto tablet?

Clos3d
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
http://www.bosto-tablet.com/models/

I always wanted a Cintiq but the prices.... Since only character artist have them at work there is no way I'll be getting one....

I'm curious to hear if any polycounters own one

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    +1, want to know more about it.
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    I've had one for almost a year and know at least 4 other people with one. I personally have a 22HDX. I use a Cintiq at work daily and my Bosto at home. Other than it "feeling cheaper" in terms of plastics used etc I find the Bosto to be an excellent piece of kit for the price.

I have a slightly older model compared to newer ones so maybe this has been addressed.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 19
    something seems off about them, they claim they're h-ips panels, but the colour gamut is more in line with tn and they publish who bought their shit on their order page for some stupid ass reason

i'd just save a bit longer and get a cintiq
  • DavePhipps
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    I just got my Bosto 22U mini today. Works great. No driver issues or jittery lines. So far I've tested in Zbrush 4r7, Photoshop CS6, and Sketchbook Pro, on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Just remember to uninstall the Wacom drivers before installing the Bosto. I've never owned a Cintiq so I can't compare it to one. However I do have an Intuos and a Series 7 Slate with wacom tech and this beats both of those,. Ok it's on par or better than the Intuos with pressure sensitivity but I can't draw directly on the screen with my Intuos.
  • xeeshjuli
    I personally have a 22HDX. I use a Cintiq at work daily and my Bosto at home.
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    Ive been reading reviews and it seems it was shit before 2012 and it got better since.

For ''working'' and doodling in Zbrush at home, I'm really considering getting one.

I've been waiting for years for the cintiq to go down in price and it just dosent...
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Been using a Bosto 22HD for the last two years or so. I absolutely love it, for personal work and for work with clientelle. Good for the price you pay, that's for sure. Took about two months to get it though.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    oh wow the pen has an eraser, that automatically puts it at the top of my list among everything else here.

my question is how big of a difference is the battery pen versus the battery-less pen.
  • mentalfrog
    nathdevlin wrote: »
    I've had one for almost a year and know at least 4 other people with one. I personally have a 22HDX. I use a Cintiq at work daily and my Bosto at home. Other than it "feeling cheaper" in terms of plastics used etc I find the Bosto to be an excellent piece of kit for the price.

I have a slightly older model compared to newer ones so maybe this has been addressed.

What software do you use on both? I'm also interested in it for home and I use a Cintiq at work. How does the pen compare in feel and function? Do the side buttons on the pen feel about the same (distance, etc.)? What about the quality of the monitor? I don't care much about the button placement on the tablet itself as I use the keyboard for so much I've stopped using those so I'm more interested in the cheaper version without buttons. But I do use both side buttons on the pen for everything.
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Mentalfrog,

In both places I use Zbrush, Photoshop, Corel Painter and Mudbox. At home I also use Substance Painter and Manga Studio 5.

In terms of working on both I can't tell a difference regarding performance and mark making other than the feel of the screens is physically different. The Bosto's is "glossier" and the Cintiq more "matte".

I'm no monitor expert so can't go into a deep discussion about it. Other than being slightly darker than my HP main monitor the image quality and colour range are very good on the Bosto. I've had no visual issues such as dead pixels. I find the slightly darker image better as I'm not blinded by looking at it for too long.

One criticism is when I max out the brightness setting on the monitor the image tends to lose some detail and blow out a bit.

The pen has a "triangular" shape which I find nicer to grip. It does feel different. The buttons work but I honestly don't use them on the Cintiq or Bosto. I have the trusty keyboard out in front all the time.

It can be seen here:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OLmYMJAkC9I/VO7HVKR_9lI/AAAAAAAA31I/S-d35prC9R8/w990/bosto-22hdx-13.jpg

Found this new review while looking for that image.

http://www.parkablogs.com/picture/review-bosto-kingtee-22hdx-pen-display-tablet
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
  • DavePhipps
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    For those wondering the pen on the 22u mini has no eraser, nor are there any hotkeys on the tablet. If you use keyboard shortcuts like me then that won't be a problem. I would also suggest getting an ergotron LX arm for it. Having a 22 inch monitor sitting on my lap feels odd.

http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/fid/101/language/en-US/default.aspx
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    have u checked out frienden tablet blog?

He seems to give very nice thorough reviews on tablets like the Bosto, Yinova, Monoprice, Huion's etc...

http://frenden.com/tagged/review

Surface Pro Artist website seems to update more in it's news coverage though:

http://surfaceproartist.com/news/