Home General Discussion

Practice schedule

pangaea
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
pangaea polycounter lvl 5
Sorry for asking a stupid question.

But, do you guys have any practice schedule?

I can find people posting practice schedule, but it mostly on 2D art like say this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/264716-Practice-Schedule . However, I can't seem to find the equivalent for 3D art.

I remember reading this as a teenager, however I was too lazy to do it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Natural-Way-Draw-Working/dp/144742249X"]The Natural Way to Draw - A Working Plan for Art Study: Amazon.co.uk: Kimon Nicola

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey pangea,

its not a stupid question, maybe misguided, but dont ever sell yourself short like that. Confidence (not arrogance) is key!.
    that being said, by schedule do you mean a set time to draw each and every day?
    You should make a schedule that fits your needs.
    I plan around my jobs, and honestly I dont get too much time, But when I do I focus.
    Thats a big part I find that people miss.
    I dont think its ALL about how much time you spend. Because you can spend 6 hours 'drawing', and only spend 30-40 minutes of that time actually doing any drawing. The rest of the time is used to "get started.
    I believe a lot of it is how you use your time as well.
    Once again, Make a schedule according to your needs.
    I tried to make atleast one different portfolio piece every month. I also gave myself deadlines, that helped a lot.

Hope this helps.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    pmiller001 wrote: »
    Hey pangea,

its not a stupid question, maybe misguided, but dont ever sell yourself short like that. Confidence (not arrogance) is key!.
    that being said, by schedule do you mean a set time to draw each and every day?
    You should make a schedule that fits your needs.
    I plan around my jobs, and honestly I dont get too much time, But when I do I focus.
    Thats a big part I find that people miss.
    I dont think its ALL about how much time you spend. Because you can spend 6 hours 'drawing', and only spend 30-40 minutes of that time actually doing any drawing. The rest of the time is used to "get started.
    I believe a lot of it is how you use your time as well.
    Once again, Make a schedule according to your needs.
    I tried to make atleast one different portfolio piece every month. I also gave myself deadlines, that helped a lot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, it really helped.

Guess I need to start setting myself targets and deadlines to complete pieces. I guess I'm procrastinating too much with my work and not pushing myself to complete the monthly challenges or monthly projects.

Its easy to get into habit of starting something, then stopping it, then starting something again.
  • drawntothenorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drawntothenorth triangle
    I don't have specific advice for a 3D practice schedule but something I noticed in my own practice. I wanted to improve in my figure drawing so I just did an hour of figure drawing each morning focusing on doing as many as I could and repetition.
    After a few months I had pages of figure drawings and studies etc I hadn't improved really at all, I think its really important to test your memory of what you've learned often and also to have a target to match in terms of quality.

I found this pretty helpful as well

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/level_design_tutorials/deliberate-practice-for-level-designers-game-environment-artist.php