Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 Mine

Hello,

I've been trying to create a mine based on the ref image I post. Regardless of the topology, polycount, Only judging by the shape and form. Do you think it's perfect and ready to be used in a game or looks off?

dl2rhrn6a79pkph3w7nq.jpg

gsd1znf6h2du62micv5a.jpg

Replies

• Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would make your bevels on your edges rounder and not as tight. Really try and pay attention to the shapes of your bevels.

The shape of the handle needs to be reworked. Round out the corners some more, they are not sharp 90 degree angles. And add a bit more thickness to the handle as well.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo wrote: »
    I would make your bevels on your edges rounder and not as tight. Really try and pay attention to the shapes of your bevels.

The shape of the handle needs to be reworked. Round out the corners some more, they are not sharp 90 degree angles. And add a bit more thickness to the handle as well.

Thanks for the feedback and here is another question.
    Generally in modeling for video games, for such assets that are not a hero asset and are %99.99 of the time not in player's face, is it wise to spend more polygons and get every curve , edge and angle exactly like the reference images? or people usually save the time without going that close into details?
  • JasonHeckmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonHeckmen polycounter lvl 8
    Well you should at least try and get the forms to be accurate. At least for practice and showcase purposes. It shows an ability to be accurate in your work and not gloss over specific details that the client and their customers may want replicated.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the feedback and here is another question.
    Generally in modeling for video games, for such assets that are not a hero asset and are %99.99 of the time not in player's face, is it wise to spend more polygons and get every curve , edge and angle exactly like the reference images? or people usually save the time without going that close into details?

You don't necessarily have to get every curve perfect on your low poly mesh. But it wouldn't take that many more polygons in your low poly mesh to round out the corners a little bit more in the handle. At the very least you could add an additional edge loop on both sides of each corner to round it out a little more.

So instead of 1 edge loop creating the corner (making it a perfect L shape). You would have 3 edge loops for each corner to more gradually bend the corners (making it closer to the concept).

Adding a few more polygons really isn't that costly on performance if "noticeably" at all.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically what is happening is if the handle itself is a 16 sided spline (16 is an example), it goes 5 directions so 80 polygons, adding a second edge loop to the corner makes the handle 160 polygons, and adding the third loop makes it 240. So the curve isn't a perfect L. But that's also only 1 curve, there are 3 more curves on the handle, if we calculate it, with perfect L shape the handle is 80 polygons, with rounder curves (3 loops per curve) the handle would be 960 polygons.

Now what I'm asking is would you artists do that to get curved edges on the handle? or artists in the industry tend to skip these kind of details?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    You can create a spline that is the same shape as the handle.

This link isn't what you are making, but I guess you can use it for what you are doing:

if you go to 9:50, or just click the link (it should take you to the correct time), it shows how to make a curved tube.

https://youtu.be/YuaMllw_O6o?t=587

It shouldn't be that high poly to make the handle.

Also from what I can see, I think you have the shape of the handle wrong.

It seems to be like this:

4ywRTT9.png
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Just use a fillet on the spline.

Now what I'm asking is would you artists do that to get curved edges on the handle? or artists in the industry tend to skip these kind of details?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Basically what is happening is if the handle itself is a 16 sided spline (16 is an example), it goes 5 directions so 80 polygons, adding a second edge loop to the corner makes the handle 160 polygons, and adding the third loop makes it 240. So the curve isn't a perfect L. But that's also only 1 curve, there are 3 more curves on the handle, if we calculate it, with perfect L shape the handle is 80 polygons, with rounder curves (3 loops per curve) the handle would be 960 polygons.

What you have is the high poly correct? My comments were for when you do the low poly. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.