Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio : Feedback welcomed.

After working on my first full-time gig for a PC game,I find myself in the position of seeking more work. And with that making a new Portfolio.

This is what ive cobbled together from the best assets I produced for Dead State, hopefully resulting in both an accurate and positive showcase of my skills.

Tip on the portfolio itself as well as the pieces are welcomed,I really don't have much of an experience on how to best do this.

LINK: http://barrartist.com

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Some solid low poly work, but for the portfolio, I would absolutely ditch the loading swipe type gallery. It takes forever to load, and is not that intuitive to use. Took me a moment to figure out how to work the slide show. Just toss some nice renders up on a flat single gallery page, and make it easy for your audience to view your work and you are solid. No need for fancy galleries or P3D or anything like that in a port (unless its just supportive to your future easy to use port)
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    The gallery took 30 seconds to load on my net (20 mbps). The quality of your assets are nice, however I'd like to see some more complex assets. The portfolio thumbnails are not loading anything on my end. Also, what's the point of having a gallery and a portfolio tab, it would seem to me that they are essentially the same thing unless you are differentiating between traditional art and digital art.

Overall, I think the biggest issue right now is your portfolio presentation. I'd rather see all of your work in thumbnails rather than slowly scrolling through them not knowing what's next.
  • modsoft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modsoft polycounter lvl 8
    Barrartist,
    Hey man I'll try to give some feedback for you on the website itself. I am having a few issues viewing your site in Chrome. Although the gallery works, it seems to load images slowly. That said, I am in the US and the site looks to be hosted in Germany so you may only care about EU visitors.

Personally, I find the single-image scrolling format quite slow and annoying and it takes me a while to get the 'big picture' and see your overall experience. (maybe others will agree/disagree). I think people who will look at your website will prefer a format that is more easily navigable and shows more work at once. Here is one of my favorite examples:. Single page with images, much easier to scroll up and down than to scroll left/right one at a time. I would also just cut the welcome page and have you site go straight to a page with all of your work, and maybe a small 1/2 sentences with you name at the top and what you do. (this is another great example of a very accessible artist's site)

With that said, it does look like you have a solid body of work (especially focusing on low-poly weapons) you may do well targeting mobile development.

Hopefully this helps!
  • Barrartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Useful feedback so far.
    while not working on the website directly,the choice of the slide show presentation was mine. the person aiding me with the web design did suggest galleries and was beginning to implement them when I vetoed that. Guess I owe her an apology. Time to scrap and rebuild, oh well.

Thanks for the complements on the actual assets. Leinad,could you please elaborate on what you mean by more complex?
  • Barrartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump: Website design changes done as per feedback.Sorry it took a while, further feedback still appreciated.
  • eam1215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to say what your specialty is if you have one. For example, character, env, props, etc.
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickaelb polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, I just come from your website and on Chrome there's a problem with floating target URL address. Of course tabs are just hidden when our cursor is over a link, but I think you should have your tabs as header of your website. ;)
  • altermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    altermind polycounter lvl 5
    I feel that your poly count is way to low for the texture sizes that you are using... most systems have problems with texture size.. not poly count... and the style of gfx that you are using is not suited to low poly
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Barrartist, you've got some interesting content but a lot of work to do. I'll list a few pointers for you.

What is your ideal role? A Weapons artist? Look at other similar artists who produce weapons and compare the quality of their work with yours. There's loads of artists out there and you'll need to get the quality of your work on par with theirs in order to stand out. Difficult, but can be done. Check out Lonewolf for instance.
    Nearly all of your weapons are using last-gen textures, whereas more recent work by other artists are using textures to replicate PBR materials, which is something you might want to consider looking into. You have some diverse objects, but the quality isn't quite that high yet. Some have fairly poor lighting; what have you used to render your assets and weapons? Try rendering inside a game engine or a real time renderer such as Marmoset.

In general; the navigation of your site is quite poor and I find it difficult to find my way around. You only get 5 seconds to impress most hiring managers/directors; I took longer as I simply wanted to help you. Fix the navigation and the overall layout.
    The asset pieces are not named. Some might recognize what they are; but many will not know unless you tell them. And go into some detail
    Remove a few of your pieces and show off only the best. If in doubt; bin it.

The toolbar on the left prevents the user from scrolling down, which is off putting.

About & contact bars should be floating on the top or on the left hand-side as it is hard to spot at the bottom. Also, the About page I feel is lacking something. Such as: "why did you get into 3D modelling"? Just something for you to consider.

Finally; increase the resolution of your images. Thumbnails are unsightly, and it's even more problematic when you have to click to enlarge. Make the viewer's life easier by filling up the screen space.

Hope this helps.