Home Technical Talk

Hand Animation Issues

I am having an issue with rigging up my characters hand in Maya 2015.
The screenshot below shows how I have it rigged with IK solvers form knuckle to tip.

Rig1_zpslcpe4rwi.png

I added a controller to the end of the fingers and set a point constraint to the IK so that I could bend it just using the controllers instead. I then parented the controller to the Arm controller.
Once all this was done I had tried moving the arm back and forth it would when pull the fingers inwards as if it was bending but it warps it out of control.

Rig2_zpsuh7mvdr3.png

I figure it may be the IK solver breaking it but I'm not sure as it is my first time adding fingers to the whole rig.
Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Check if you have some kind of cycle, eg. the ik of the finger although influences the arm/shoulder bones, which have somewhat a influene on the arm controller which have an influence on the finger controller. Limit the finger IK only to the finger bones.
  • xMuku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I can tell there isn't a cycle happening. I have one IK solver going from the shoulder to the wrist for the elbow bend. I then have an IK solver from the knuckle of the finger to the tip for the finger bend.
    The bones are all parented from the hip - chest - and then shoulder down.
    Then I connect the controller at the end of the finger to the IK with a point constraint. I can move the controller individually from the arm and the finger bends but the arm as a whole gives me the result above.