Home Dota 2

Hattery Competition Idea

Hello fellow counters of polies!

I would like to get some feedback on a very raw idea that I've been kicking around. With the new design for the Hattery coming, I will need to have articles and other "events". Expect the redesign to come hopefully in May or June since my designer is busy with the Polycount contest.

Anyway, you know how all those people say "Why don't you make a set for hero X???" or "Why don't you make a set that looks like or has this theme?"

What if...

What...

If...

We host a competition where we let everyone submit their ideas/concepts and the participating artist/team picks the one that they like the most and makes it into a real Workshop Submission in a similar fashion to how pro player sets are done. The winner gets their idea made into a Workshop Submission and MAYBE like 1-5% of the percentage split since the artist(s) will do all the real work. Maybe more like just 1%, just so that the winner gets a "self-made" version of the set and some pennies if it gets in game. The potential of revenue, even a teeny tiny 1-5%, and a "self-made" version of the set would hopefully encourage people to participate and really try hard to submit cool ideas.

Since most of the more experienced artists are busy with their own projects and other commitments, I envision mainly newer or less established artists participating in the competition as it could provide some really good exposure/promotion for them (although all artists are welcome to participate)! If it's a format that catches on, obviously we can do more than just one so that lots of artists can participate. Maybe one every month or every other month?

I can see this as something done via Reddit (expect a lot of shitideas and the usual Reddit hate towards hats and artists) which will surely (hopefully) get Valve's attention. Obviously we would have to lay down some very strict and explicit ground rules on what would define a "legit" idea/entry. Who knows, we may even find some new talented concept artists hiding among them! Maybe we'll get a long thread of people adding ideas that could result in a really cool combination of a bunch of people's ideas resulting in multiple winners. Worst case we may end up with a bunch of hilarious shitposts! :poly142:

I fully intend this to be sponsored by the Hattery. The Hattery will advertise and promote the competition and participating artist(s) and possibly document the progression of the set with posts on WIP images and stuff like that. Also, the final workshop submission would get a dedicated featured advertisement for it on the new homepage (until the next competition's winner or until after a certain time period -- details to be determined later). The Hattery would benefit from more exposure and page views (and maybe someday service providership -- Lord GabeN pls).

Time frame-wise, I would expect to maybe do it after TI5. Hat Submissions are probably going to have a weird dead period between June and the end of TI and most artists will be at TI or watching it.

What do you all think? Is this something that you might be interested in participating in assuming all the details get worked out?

Thanks!

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Great idea tbh.
  • whatever
  • waleed
    I can see this as something done via Reddit (expect a lot of shitideas and the usual Reddit hate towards hats and artists) which will surely (hopefully) get Valve's attention. Obviously we would have to lay down some very strict and explicit ground rules on what would define a "legit" idea/entry. Who knows, we may even find some new talented concept artists hiding among them! Maybe we'll get a long thread of people adding ideas that could result in a really cool combination of a bunch of people's ideas resulting in multiple winners. Worst case we may end up with a bunch of hilarious shitposts!

We provide fast success in http://www.esixsigma.co/ dumps exam by using our high quality http:calarts.edu prep resources. We offer up-to-dated uconn.edu dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there Remixx - here are a few notes to help kickstart the discussion.

- First of all, I think the (currently running) Polycount Chest event showed us that there is no real need to have artists compete against each other in order for them to be motivated. After all what ultimately matters is whether or not a given set or item is accepted by Valve ! Now of course things are different when a third party judging panel is involved, like for the Chivalry contest officially held by Torn Banner whose winners were guaranteed to be integrated into the game. But here I think it is not really necessary, as the group dynamics are usually a good enough motivator for the participants, and getting an item into the Dota2 store is basically the ultimate prize anyways :)

- About the pairing of artists, with CG artists picking the concept they want to work from : I think one needs to be careful with that, because not every group of persons ends up being a good team of compatible members working well together. And while working from a random, unfamiliar concept found online can be a lot of fun, this could easily backfire in the context of an event like this as you'd run the risk of people putting a lot of work into a conceptual design ... only for it to be not taken to fruition because something unexpected happened down the line at the modeling stage. With a set taking about 2 months worth of work more or less equally split between design tasks and execution tasks, I believe that's a rather high risk to take for everyone involved.

- I love the idea of tackling heroes with few existing sets. And then there is also the case of heroes which are clearly workshop-ready (with their items already split up and slotted in the game files) but simply not available in the in-game importer just yet. These are clearly risky to get involved with, but the reward of releasing the very first set for a given are undeniable. So maybe that's something to keep in mind too ?

I hope these remarks make sense - they are personal observations based on my experience with art contests and collaborations between artists.

Good luck !