Home General Discussion

Legality of using Autodesk student version question

So I guess that me as well as a lot of my friends are questioning the fine lines of Using Autodesk student versions. For example, I made a few character and other models in school, which I would like to use for games I worked on or sell on Turbo-squib. I currently have the legal version of the program, but what's the fine line. Do I have to completely recreate my models from scratch in the legal version. If I import them in to the legal version and export them from that, does that help me avoid an legal problems. My friends question this as well, so specific sections that talk about this and its fine line in the autodesk, user agreement that mentions this would be very helpful.

Thank you everyone for the help in advance.

Replies

• seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    can´t show you the section where it´s written but there was a lot of talk about this in the area forums and the result is always: what you have done in the student version can never be used for any profit. even if you get the commercial version later you have to everything from scratch! sorry!
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard seb3d. If that's true someone should award Autodesk with a trophy for stupidity.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    than read the lic. agreement or search in the area. i just tell you whats the result of a lot of threats there. i didn´t use a student version for long time now and never read the license agreement myself.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard seb3d. If that's true someone should award Autodesk with a trophy for stupidity.

From what I have heard it is true, remember it is Autodesk.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything made with the student version can never be used for sale or profit. Even if you open it later with a full licence it will actually flag it up and remind you. I can only assume that even when saving as a .obj or .fbx etc it still leaves some kind of marker.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    even if you get the commercial version later you have to everything from scratch!
    jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    here you can read what Autodesk had/has written in their eula;
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ton/Autodesk_EULA

my advice;
    start using tools you can afford to buy as a full licence and simply avoid most if not all student/edu/educational versions
    and what you always should do, read those Eulas and see if they still suit your needs.
    your return of investment will be much higher if you avoid restrictive Eulas of programs which take away your intellectual property.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Given the current pricing models and stuff, i'm of the opinion that people studying at university should either purchase:
    Maya LT
    Modo indie

Or run blender for free.

And i also believe that universities should be pushing this agenda too, instead of encouraging students to use free versions of software that ultimately will just hold them back once they start looking for real work or making money etc.

At least if you own Maya LT or Modo indie you can still do freelance work.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Anything made with the student version can never be used for sale or profit. Even if you open it later with a full licence it will actually flag it up and remind you. I can only assume that even when saving as a .obj or .fbx etc it still leaves some kind of marker.

I think this has been brought up before and Im almost positive FBX is human parsible in the FBX SDK. Maybe not though
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The volume of stuff you made with the edu version is nothing compared to the stuff you are GUNNA make as a professional. The edu version of max has allowed you to learn a popular app that is mainstream and incredibly useful for getting a job not to mention there is no restriction to showing what you have made with the student version so you get to make a folio with the only cost being your time. There are no watermarks, no size restrictions, not export restrictions. I think it is kind of weird to get all this for free and then complain about not being able to sell student work.

The hope is that it will be easier for you to get a job and when you get there perhaps you may need your employers to buy a copy of max, or if you start freelancing that you buy your own copy (which you have done) or if you start your own business that you buy 50 copies. Personally I find autodesk"s take on free versions very positive!

That's just me though.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    haha I asked the same question myselft and it's a huge no. Don't even think of cracking it, you might get even more serious problems.

I'd suggest you using Blender for this kind of purpose as a student (i know it's hard to learn another software but in the end, it'll be wroth it).