Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seeking Critique / Advice

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
Hi! I'm seeking critique on my first "Likeness" sculpts. It was a challenge and I've obtained better references since these. I took quite a bit of notes when it came to finding a better reference.

A questions/advice I was seeking along with this was, Is it better to start from scratch as a new artist so you can build up forms or use a base mesh? I'm a little lost when it comes to starting. The start of projects always seems to be trouble for me.

aqAuxcS.png

s1WnPGA.png

Here is the reference (Couldnt find original link so I reuploaded) http://i.imgur.com/F63zky5.jpg

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You have some good stuff going on.
    Look at face planes
    f03c515b30a153aa19cb9def13715715.jpg
    Planes will give you an idea of volume, volume direction and are just darn handy to check out structure (search them on google). At the mo the eyes and eyebrows are not really correct shapes. You are modeling them how you think they look not really looking at the construction.

Its usually better to do loads of sketch sculpts where you can explore for, relax and have fun, than it is to do one or two pieces that you sink a lot of time into and that end up looking stiff and less natural or expressive.

Also your ref image is lit in a glamor style that will give you very little idea as to what the heck is going on form wise.

Keep going man, great start!
    Edit this is not my model above, just an image I found.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, dude! Awesome to see you posting!

Your basic forms seem to be alright, I second having a look at planes of the face refs (my personal fave is the asaro head). Try to look at the more subtle forms, you seem to have the bigger bases covered.
    And I recommend building from scratch each time for personal projects until you understand what you're doing well enough to make your own base meshes (otherwise you'll always be stuck not knowing how to start). Also, it's funner. :)

When doing a likeness, it's also important to measure out proportions and angles as best as possible. A couple of angles and proportions here don't really match up (See: the nostrils from the side, the jawline from the front). This is sort of hard with different cameras and non-perfect angles, but it can be eyed. I learned how to do this through trial and error in figure/life drawing and it's been reasonably applicable, but I don't really have any good links for you unfortunately. Drawing tutorials might bridge a bit of a gap in knowledge here?

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/visual-measuring
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/visual-measuring-proportion

Just thoughts. Looking forward to seeing more, so much improvement from your first stuff.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Mr.Moose, at first glance I can tell that your eyes are too close together and the enclosed eyeball is probably too large. the eyelids should wrap around the eyeball at sharper angles than what I'm seeing. This video should help you immensely in navigating the proper proportions and distances for the female head.

That's a cool site BagelHero, I've never seen it before, thanks for posting.
  • DataDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mr. Moose,

First of all, I like your name. Second, do you have any advice concerning the development of a model? How do you get such results, what type of brushes do you use?

Thanks.

I would certainly like to see more of your work, has a good style.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    @Kanga Thank you~ I will that all this in mind, I was curious how you might recommend sketching? I feel like my blocking out skills aren't strong enough to start sketches yet?

@BagelHero Thank you! I figured starting from scratch was the way to learn, my blocking out skills are pretty sub-par. I agree that drawing could bridge a gap here. I really need to start doing so!

@Jhoythottle Thank you, I will check this video out when I get home! I really struggled with the eyes in this piece, I think I lack the understanding of the anatomy there.

@Datadragon If you're asking for advice Im really not qualified! I pretty much only used move topo/ Clay buildup / Dam standard / verrry little pinch.

I am looking forward to posting more, I have a long way to go!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You should start with learning bones and muscles of the face first. There are great books about the subject that are invaluable:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Complete-Guide-Facial-Expression/dp/0823004325"]The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression: Gary Faigin: 9780823004324: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This one is a great visual guide on the face. It shows you pretty much everything you need to know to get your head wrapped around the subject.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Human-Head-Burne-Hogarth/dp/0823013766"]Drawing the Human Head: Burne Hogarth: 9780823013760: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This one deals mostly with planes, proportions and stuff. I dunno about this particular edition, but the old one I have has some interesting tidbits.

Also find 3d anatomy software or websites that could help you with orienting around muscles and bones. Can't recommend anything in particular, but paid ones like Visiblebody should be quite good.

Anatomy for Sculptors website also has a great book available on the subject, please check it out too. It's worth every penny.

It's a good idea to just go to Youtube and star watching videos on Portrait drawing. There's some great stuff and knowledge out there that you won't find in books or tutorials.