Home Technical Talk

Maya Question - Object Pivot to Component Centre

Hi,

In my everyday workflow, I utilise a script from the bonus games tools, that let's me take any selection from the currently selected object, for instance, on a sphere, I can select the top most vertex, hit the script, and my object's pivot ( previously at the centre ), will now be set at the chosen vertex. This process can be repeated for anything selected, verts, edges, faces, etc.

NOTE : This is not alignment, but a simple pivot relocation to the chosen selection.

I like it because it's fast and easier than doing this manually, or in cases where I cannot do it manually.

ANYWAY...

I'm having to use Maya LT, which is MEL only, and the script I use is Python, was wondering if anyone had a similar MEL based script ?

Thanks

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Since you're entering vertex select mode, selecting the vertex and all of that, why not do it manually by holding down d to edit the pivot, then hold v to snap to the desired vertex?
  • Onion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks

I can snap manually to a vertex no problem, however, this script is faster, and I'm not limited to singular vertices with the script, for instance, I can choose 50 verts and the script will shift the pivot to the centre of that selection, or I can snap my pivot to the middle of an edge, or even a face, or the combined selection of faces, etc.

I 'can' snap manually, but i have so much more flexibility with this script, it'd be a shame to lose it when I migrate to Maya LT, it's been a solid part of my personal workflow for quite some time.

Thanks
  • Onion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a side note : -

If I go into edit mode for the pivot, and then hover over any vert / edge / face, I can then snap to that chosen component. Whereas I lose the ability to have a 'selection', i.e. 5 verts for instance, at least that trade off isn't too bad and is pretty close to my usual workflow. :)