Home General Discussion

Web Developer to Game Developer?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EvanTideswell polycounter lvl 3
Good morning all (its morning by me)
I hope this is in the correct place and board.

I have a question if i may, I am currently studying web development and my question is, is this a good stepping stone to get into game development?

The reasons im asking is because i live games and i love game development, but do not have the time or money to go to a school to learn just game development.

I am currently studying web development threw Udemy which i think is also a nice safety net to have if i cannot get into game development.

The subjects im learning are HTML, CSS, MySQL, JavaScript, Java, Phython, and a bit of Objective C. are any of these viable to make games with or with a bit of further learning will it be easier to get into game dev?

i am looking more at making mobile games (android & ios) and indie games.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Safety nets are fantastic, getting a great paying day job and then learning game development on the side, including actually making the games can be a way to get a career started in games.

This way you only have to make the jump when you are able!

Your languages are fine, it's all about the logic and the game design, they can be made in any language after that.

Partake in game jams like ludum dare, make games all the time, brute forcing the learning process is the best way.
  • EvanTideswell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanTideswell polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks @eld that does point me in the right direction.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm glad you mentioned Udemy since they have some excellent Game dev tutorials. I snapped up 11 courses for £15 reduced by £1000+ in web dev and game dev. The web ones are at the same level as my old university. Just go on a youtube rampage, instead of music listen to tutorials and do said tutorials.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If you're familiar with Java / Python, I suspect it won't be much of a leap to start working with games. Many games use a scripting language to implement gameplay mechanics (Unity as an example can use Javascript, and some engines use Python).

The vast majority of games are written largely or entirely in C++ (including Unity), so it pays to get familiar with the language. If you want somewhere to start, Unreal Engine 4 is free to download and use non-cmmercially, complete with the entire source code. They also have a monthly game jam.

The best way to get started is to just dive in at the deep end and start making games. If you take the UE4 route, try making something like Breakout first in the scripting system (Blueprints), then again in C++. It should server as a good learning exercise :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    with these skills you may have an easier way entering the industry via a tech-artist / pipeline dev role rather than jumping to game programming directly. production pipelines are increasingly networked, database backed and accessible via web interfaces.