Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Avlaus's first character otw, c&c welcome

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
Hi folks! Howdy?

My first game character on the way :D. I think I’m done with the sculpting phase and I would like to hear your toughs on the overall silhouette, character appeal and everything else you guys think that should be improved before I go to the retopology phase.

Currently my plan for the workflow is: base mesh in Maya LT 2015 > Sculpting in Mudbox 2014 > Retop in Maya LT > Map extraction in Mudbox > Painting in Photoshop or Mudbox > Rigging in Maya LT > Animation in Maya LT > Insert character in Unreal Engine with some basic interaction with the player.

My plan for the character is to keep it somewhat simple, without much detail and hard objects that could difficult the animation and explore a more cartoonish style with exaggerated proportions; I’m going to mess with photo realism when I get more experience. A 3rd person view game character with a final polycount around 10.000 squares maybe?

The character is supposed to be some kind of escapee prisoner that was subject to body altering experiments.

I think I’m going to remove the chest and wrist pieces. They are there just to hide the seams of the different meshes of the body :P. The head, hands, feet, pants and body are separated pieces that I couldn’t merge together.

Enough talk. The character so far:

[IMG][/img]Charfrontview_zps1gdjwvns.png

[IMG][/img]Charbackiew_zps36cuxala.png

[IMG][/img]Charsideview_zpskrmbecgw.png

[IMG][/img]Charpersview_zpsaqljuk3z.png

I hope I have posted correctly.

Replies

• karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey Avlaus.

Nice job for a first character. I understand that you're doing a character in a cartonish style, but some parts like chest and arms look a bit weird with some muscles in the wrong place... have some anatomy reference or other artists work could help a lot to improve it. Keep going! =D
  • Avlaus
    Offline / Send Message
    Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Avlaus.

Nice job for a first character. I understand that you're doing a character in a cartonish style, but some parts like chest and arms look a bit weird with some muscles in the wrong place... have some anatomy reference or other artists work could help a lot to improve it. Keep going! =D

Hey karytsukino, thank you very much for the incentive and tips. Indeed, I should have paid more attention to the anatomy. It doesn’t have much else to appeal. Although it was kind of hard to find a good stretched but relaxed arm reference.

Already done some changes:

[IMG][/img]Charfrontview2_zpsegooo2nf.png

[IMG][/img]Charperspview2_zpskbpeyw9a.png
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! yeh! I understand that sometimes its dificult to find a exactly reference of what we want... Do you have any concept that you're following? Or any reference of what you're doing? Thins could help to fix problems...
  • Avlaus
    Offline / Send Message
    Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! yeh! I understand that sometimes its dificult to find a exactly reference of what we want... Do you have any concept that you're following? Or any reference of what you're doing? Thins could help to fix problems...

Hey Karytsukino, thanks again. Sadly no… I only made a small panel with reference images like strongman competitors, prisoners and Bane from Batman :P.

But I think I have done some advances in the anatomy, changed the material for better sculpting too. Also I would like to know if I should add some bumpiness to the skin and cloth and more details to the head/face.

[IMG][/img]Charfrontview3_zpsrtfyw147.png

[IMG][/img]Charperspview3_zpsdojfnzng.png

[IMG][/img]CharFaceperspview_zpskggxlmht.png
  • Avlaus
    Offline / Send Message
    Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
    Sup! Made some advancements I think…

Retopo plus texture. It’s not good, but it’s all I can do with my current knowledge, so I’m advancing to the next phase anyway. Want to experience with the rigging now.

[IMG][/img]CharLowWirePersp_zpsaalzco7q.png

[IMG][/img]CharLowTexPersp_zpsdgnqnjph.png

[IMG][/img]CharLowTexFront_zpsmmocjuh0.png

[IMG][/img]CharFaceLowTexPersp_zpsoqyjwirx.png

Critics welcome and wanted!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Well it's hard to give critique when nothing looks right in the first place. I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but what you have now barely resembles a human being. Instead of trying to finish it, I think it would be a much better idea to concentrate on studying anatomy (bones, muscles, forms). Make this character a starting point of the exercise, analyze the anatomy of the body you've made so far and try to figure out how to fix it. Read anatomy books, browse youtube videos on the subject, find a 3d anatomy software that will help you with that. Use a lot of photo reference to help you with forms, in your case you should have tons of photos of bodybuilders ready on your computer to use as inspiration and reference. In Zbrush, never try to go highpoly from the start, always work one subdivision at a time and make the most of what you have.

I know you probably just want to finish something, but I think there are things that need your attention more right now.

If you have any questions, just ask.
  • Avlaus
    Offline / Send Message
    Avlaus polycounter lvl 6
    Well it's hard to give critique when nothing looks right in the first place. I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but what you have now barely resembles a human being. Instead of trying to finish it, I think it would be a much better idea to concentrate on studying anatomy (bones, muscles, forms). Make this character a starting point of the exercise, analyze the anatomy of the body you've made so far and try to figure out how to fix it. Read anatomy books, browse youtube videos on the subject, find a 3d anatomy software that will help you with that. Use a lot of photo reference to help you with forms, in your case you should have tons of photos of bodybuilders ready on your computer to use as inspiration and reference. In Zbrush, never try to go highpoly from the start, always work one subdivision at a time and make the most of what you have.

I know you probably just want to finish something, but I think there are things that need your attention more right now.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Hey SuperFranky thanks for the sincere critique. Well, I have exaggerated the proportions intentionally but I’m failing to achieve the cartoony but believable feel in the character. As you pointed out, I should learn to do the basics before I dare with anatomy so I’m abandoning him for now. I will restart with a new and simpler idea another time.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I suggest drawing your character out on paper first. With stylized characters like this, it's really about how the shapes feel. if it works well in 2D, it is likely it can translate well into 3D assuming nothing is impossible to sculpt from the 2D reference.

Solid concept art basically gives you a visual roadmap and goal to accomplish, and you can check against it frequently without ambiguity. 3D modeling from then on just becomes "does it look like the concept?" which can lighten your burden tremendously.