Home General Discussion

Why do so many people seem to hate cgi?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
I feel like whenever I watch documentaries about special effects, or listen to people like Adam Savage or Ray Harryhausen talk about working in movies, they seem to sort of resent and talk down about computer graphics. Do you guys think it's got a lot to do with the older generation of movie makers sort of resenting change or do you think that they're right about "practical" effects always being better than CGI?

Personally I kind of have a middling opinion. I like what directors like Guillermo Del Toro are doing, where they have a very mixed usage of both practical effects and CG. Pacific Rim for example utilized the strengths of both mediums.

What's your take on the whole discussion?

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I think the middling opinion is the most sensible.

There's always going to be things that are not practical for practical effects, and there's going to be things that will always look tacky/unconvincing in CG. And vice versa, really. Use whatever's more appropriate for the situation, that's what seems more sensible.

Insisting that one or the other is "always" superior, that's just silly.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    the times where it's abused, which is often, tends to color people's opinions about it.

Personally, I can't stand heavy use of CG in films. I would rather have spiderman on wires and stuff then CG-spidey flying around with rubber limbs. I think movies need to have that suspension of disbelief.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    First things first ...
    Why do so many people seem to hate cgi ?

and
    they seem to sort of resent and talk down about computer graphics.

are wildly different things :)

Also, and quite ironically, I would venture to guess that for a while old school practical guys actually had a better eye than CG artists themselves when it comes to spotting bad CGI - things like bad lighting and exposure for instance. Therefore their stance is quite understandable, even if it is somewhat tinted with nostalgia.

Also, and regardless of how advanced CGI becomes, there is just no way for it to be all real-time and in-camera - which means much less control on set than when using practical effects, and much, much more iterations being required ... and then there's render times ...

On our end, I think we are biased the other way around because we are just way too used to CGI and we tend to forget how striking practical effects actually are. I was just watching the first two Hellraiser movies the other day, and it was quite obvious that the skinned body makeups would put any CGI render to shame, even today. So wet and slimy ! Delicious stuff :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I dislike movies where at some point I start noticing the CGI, because it sticks out like something that doesn't belong. Either it doesn't belong because it doesn't add to the narrative - e.g. "our story is weak, let's add CGI! Kaboom Explosion!", or because it doesn't integrate visually with the rest of the movie (i.e. it's cheaply integrated or artificial looking).

Otherwise I don't care. There have been great movies with tons of CGI where it was appropriate, well integrated to support the story and well executed. But there's far too few movies where it's done right.

Unfortunately CGI is often treated like tabasco sauce. Your food is boring and tastes like crap? Add tabasco.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    First things first ...
    and
    are wildly different things :)

Sorry that was a bit sensationalist of me to title the thread like that. I should maybe have used "resent" instead of "hate." :poly136:
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all the same in every job in the world. Some people are just desperate for work, allowing themselves to be abused and underpay. At the end it's everyone for themselves, sadly. If you don't protect yourself you'll be sucked dry of blood.

I'm happy with my work yes but I do have to protect myselves too when it comes to unfair pay and stuff.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    People dislike CGI, not necessarily because of the CGI, but because of the emphasis on CGI.

Too many films are putting an emphasis on the CGI over the actual content of the film - frequently the CGI does nothing to enrich the film or the story being told. There are now three hour films where the plot is so vacuous, the entire script can be written on the back of a beer mat - the rest is filler; expensive CGI filler.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I think it's the same issue some games face those day.

It seem like the budget is all in the look, and nothing in the story.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    If you listen to a lot of the Still Untitled project you get a good sense of where Adam Savage is coming from. I mean the guy worked for ILM in the days prior to the big CGI things they did with Episode I and later. Of course his opinion is gonna be that practical is better than CG.

That being said I think he does a good job of qualifying that on his podcast by saying that the best CG is the stuff the audience doesn't even have a clue is going on. Stuff like the compositing work a lot of movies do today to get a set just right. Check out the wolf of wall-street demo real that's been floating around to see what I mean.

Now that aside I think there is a large bandwagon trend going around amongst the armchair movie-maker types who like to lump all the bad special fx we've seen together with a lot of the good and right it all off as terrible. Quite too many of them seem to be looking through rose colored glasses at the old way of things and forgetting just how bad some of that stuff looks compared to the fx we see today.

A few cracked articles and a large push from reddit seem to have made a lot of people bag on the industry. Oh well I guess they get to have their cake and eat it to.

IE I like Star Wars Guys and the massive scale and scope of the project bring in the big bucks BUT DAMNED IT ALL BE if Lucas/Disney use a computer to do it.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Because they heard it wasn't "natural" so to speak, or they heard other fellows defaming the use production by such a method. It's the same thing with most of the controversy surrounding media, outsiders making absurd claims and trying to take action. Similar to those gate fellows.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Most CGI effects look super fake. It has been getting better though. Rocket Raccoon is something that in no way could have been done convincingly with a puppet. There are still plenty of bad effects but it is a lot better than it was in the 2000s when nobody could make anything convincing.

James Gunn though went out of his way to use a lot of physical props and sets . He was well aware of what does and does not work and has experience in both ends of the spectrum with Scooby Doo and Slither.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I was just thinking but it feels like most of the movies with good effects from directors like Neil Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuar
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Most CGI effects look super fake. It has been getting better though. Rocket Raccoon is something that in no way could have been done convincingly with a puppet. There are still plenty of bad effects but it is a lot better than it was in the 2000s when nobody could make anything convincing.

James Gunn though went out of his way to use a lot of physical props and sets . He was well aware of what does and does not work and has experience in both ends of the spectrum with Scooby Doo and Slither.

Actually, most CGI is so fantastic and so well made we never notice it, some front and center pieces in some movies will stick out though.

It's all mental though, we expect the racoon to be cgi, we don't expect that entire background in a criminal series to be cgi.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    Actually, most CGI is so fantastic and so well made we never notice it, some front and center pieces in some movies will stick out though.

It's all mental though, we expect the racoon to be cgi, we don't expect that entire background in a criminal series to be cgi.

Looking at you Boardwalk Empire. I couldn't believe how much of that show was CG. :poly115:
  • ninja master jimbo
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd say lord of the rings is probably one of the best mixtures of cgi and actors. Can't imagine it being solely one or the other.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    what bothers me about the CGI nowdays, is that the film makers act like they achieved photorealism. they are all like "look at jeff bridges face in tron, count dokus flip in episode 2 or the orc in the hobbit, look how real it all looks! you cant tell its computer graphics can you?! we can easily put a real person and a cgi next to eachother in a scene and you wont be able to tell the difference!"
    and the audience, at least me is like "ehm, are you talking about that weird mask faced jeffbridges, the rubber doll count doku is replaced with, or the videogame cutscene orc that somehow found its way into middle eath?" and the filmmakers put their fingers in their ears and yell "NANANANAHAAH, way lower production costs, NANANANAAH"

in the cases where i havent noticed it, i obvouisly have nothing agianst it. im just suprised that any art directior or the movie making eqvialent that have been working on those films would have said "yup this totally works, it doesnt want to make me tear out my eyes or anything"
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're projecting a little there. I don't think anyone believes we've crossed the uncanny valley yet.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think a large part of it is that practical effects are such an enjoyable part of the movie making process.

Actors are more engaged, and team work is better. it puts more of the work in pre-production than in. At great as CG is, it's much more of a group of hermits working in a closed room.

It also plays a huge part in the role of design, designs become more grounded when they need to be built.
    For example.
    Bolg_in_Ravenhill.jpg

Vs
    BOLG_ORC_HOBBIT_.jpg

Lets face it. Something magical happens when things are made into physical objects that live in spaces.

http://www.pinterest.com/pascalblanche/juicy-junks/
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Take it from a CG artist who works with a lot of practical effects people. There's a lot of seething resentment towards digital effects. And not entirely without good reason.

The Thing prequel is a good example. Take a look at the movie (or the trailer if you'd prefer not to waste a couple of hours) Now go take a look at the work that ADI did for the movie on Youtube, which was then completely removed in favour of mediocre CGi, without notifying the practical effects team.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets face it. Something magical happens when things are made into physical objects that live in spaces.
    A time machine appears and your movie warps back to the 80s? :)

*ducks*
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    A time machine appears and your movie warps back to the 80s? :)

*ducks*

You say that like it's a bad thing!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I like CG in films and TV. It allows things that simply aren't possible or are cost prohibitive to do. I can never say, "Well, I'm sure X doesn't happen ... there's no way to film that."

Nuh-uh!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Bleh, dont mention the Hobbit. The CGI was horrible.
    The 3 Movie the big clash at the end. Grey CGI dwarfs versus grey cgi orcs with a greyish mud background, horrible scene composition.

CGI are not bad in general but they must accept that cgi are not always the first choice like close up shots for a scene. I mean when a director dont like a scene he can play the scene a dozen times until he is satified. What is when the scene is computer generated? How much time consume the rendering and can the director render a scene a dozen time? What is when you have a water leak in a ship but the water must be computer generated. You have the whole scene and the water comes later. After 3 weeks you know that the scne was not really good and the cgi will never be good because of the camera angle. Do you think they can always make the scene new or must he accept a bad cgi effect.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I actually think peter jackson is one of the worst offenders, maybe I'm in the minority. He just has this need to show you everything, there's no hinting at grand sweeping armies, no he has to show you half a million orcs on screen at once. Fellowship was the best in regard to CG, imo.

It's interesting to me how once directors get massive budgets, their imaginations go wild and they go and blow it on spectacle. It was similar with the matrix trilogy, first one was a perfect example of how to use CG and integrate it into the story, the 2nd and third overused it and the films were kind of ridiculous as a consequence.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    I have no problem with CG at all these days because it practically looks like real life anyways, though i dislike bad CG which really breaks the immersion. Christopher Nolan's latest screens has been my favorites both in terms on CG and execution.

Most memorable was Interstellar which was completely spectacular from start to finish, and i mean spectacular to the point of me staring at the screen with my kisser open the entire movie. One of the best movies i have ever seen both CG wise and "movie in general" wise.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    first, I've worked in VFX and games a bit, but mostly, I spent 5 years building practical props like this.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxdi3XIgfIo"] this.[/ame]

I came out of it with a complete inability to pretend that films are real, both with CG and practical stuff.

second, did anyone watch Life after Pi?
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE"]Life after Pi[/ame]?
    the big take away is that the visual effects industry is stuck in a rather silly business model. Visual effects are EXPENSIVE, and only sometimes look great.

Story is Queen. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Rocket Racoon, which I think is a good example of something that worked rather well, but wouldn't have been convincing at all 20 years ago. If a method of making something works, and convinces you it's real, and you forget it's fake, and enjoy the movie, your effects are working.

Budget is King. I think there's been a bit of a realization lately that CG often isn't convincing enough for it's price tag, and practical effects often just look more convincing for things where you could use either. Have you ever sat in a movie and gone 'huh? that seems like a silly direction to take the film.' Maybe it's because they wanted to do something else, but it cost too much, so they had to settle.

Practical effects are getting better too. Look at the difference in books vs film before peter jackson's LOTR. How many books had epic battles with thousands of non-human participants? Lots of them (yes, I'm generalizing here). Movies? not so much.
    The technology gets better, but it's also costing a lot to do it. The technology is also helping make practical effects easier too. Stuff like flat screens. The PADD's in ST:TNG, and how many ipads and screens I used to make sci-fi looking data pads and such. CG is getting better, but so are practical effects.

...I think I've made a muddle of all this now.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worst example of relying on cgi to sell a movie: watching superman crash through hundreds of fucking buildings for 30 minutes in the man of steel.

Swear to god he did more damage than Zod in that one.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Cibo wrote: »
    Bleh, dont mention the Hobbit. The CGI was horrible.

haha. Peter Jackson makes some of the very best and some of the worst use of CGI. I guess that makes him a real master ;)
  • steven168
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just start to learn 3D.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one does not simply make movies with cgi successfully
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lego movie was pretty much spot on in terms of CGI and as much as I wasn't exactly blown away by "the guardians of the lost galaxy" I couldn't help but think how nice it looked and I've never thought that about a film. I think the problem comes in more with if the CGI is good or not so good. I don't think its fair to say films rely to heavily on CGI... I think its more a case of directors want to show battle scenes and thus CGI provides the only feasible ability to do such shots etc so its more fault of the director than "CGI"
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I took a chance on the "last planet of the apes" movie I was lucky enuff to screen with some of my most notoriously CG allergic friends. And during one of the more breathtaking examples of beautiful realistic animation and lighting I was able to pull off this gem:

"It is so much better when they use real apes like this and not overuse cheesy special effects!"

And every single one aggressively agreed!
    Joy!
    I'll never let them live down their idiocy.
    As CG at least will be part of whatever art replaces cinema as the dominant and most socially relevant artform. Cg should then be required academic study so all the cheesy cg can be spotted but brilliant hard work will not be dismissed either.
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was reading Interstellar article about how Nolan wanted to use miniatures from the start for the spaceship. He was convinced CG wouldn't get it right. I actually agree with that direction as well, there's something about it.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I actually think theres a problem with just saying CGI, because most of the time people will think of it in terms of characters. However I think that most of the CG/VFX burden on films go unnoticed by a large amount of people, even films that don't feature any otherwordly entities(like aliens, spaceships, monsters etc.) make heavy use of CG. This is everything from digital doubles, to simple set extensions and digital make-up. My honest opinion is that people who watch movies and series don't even spot 50-70% of the CG work that goes on except on glaringly obvious things like The Hobbit and Guardians of the Galaxy etc.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    I actually think theres a problem with just saying CGI, because most of the time people will think of it in terms of characters. However I think that most of the CG/VFX burden on films go unnoticed by a large amount of people, even films that don't feature any otherwordly entities(like aliens, spaceships, monsters etc.) make heavy use of CG. This is everything from digital doubles, to simple set extensions and digital make-up. My honest opinion is that people who watch movies and series don't even spot 50-70% of the CG work that goes on except on glaringly obvious things like The Hobbit and Guardians of the Galaxy etc.

Exactly,
    Popular kneejerk opinion by an army of ditto heads reacting to the lowest common denominator only.

On the bright side...
    Most practicing a cg discipline aer rabid practical fx fans as well. And as some have pointed out, both fields are only getting stronger.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah there's tons of places where things like mattepainting come into play. It's not all for action scenes and explosions.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think anyone is complaining about the things that obviously work flawlessly.

That isn't the argument.