Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Core's Office

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Shizaiphrein polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone !
Here is a new project : Core's Office

It's a project i started a long time ago and left aside that i decided to reboot.

So i want a sort of office miles under the ground in a secret lab (a bit like Portal) .
And behind the windows you can see a gigantic core that produce energy .

I really want a claustrophobic feeling of a place where the sun cannot reach . Only the Core produce light that you can see inside of the office.

So here is the first pic of it made in Unreal Engine 4. i'll try to update as often as possible.
Even if i don't have that much time since i got my first job in the industry :)

And if you have any advises or critics please tell that'd be awesome

Cheers!

Ue4_2.jpg

Ue4_1.jpg

[UPDATE]

Here i am guys !
About to finish this project

Thanks who posted and helped me on this project . I'have learned a lot

But now i need you help one more time to polish one last time !.
Those are the pictures i'm gonna ship !

So if you have a little something to make those better feel free to tell me so

Thanks again

Paix, Amour et Chocolat

Bisous

eN4XJfX.jpg
NN0bz1e.jpg
iJX6bO4.jpg
Q3vCnLG.jpg
R73kUWQ.jpg

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The concept seems pretty intriguing so far, kind of reminds me a bit about Resident Evil in that it's "daylight" but actually underground. It'll be interesting to see what props/furniture you develop and how it'll fit into the rough looking stone/concrete.

It'll be great to see a nice shot of what the core looks like and how it emits light when you get that far, sounds cool.

There's plenty of cores to be had if you're looking for inspiration, such as the core from HL2 Episode 1 that emitted a ridiculous amount of light http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/5141/253392-half_life2_episode_one_01.jpg
    the mass effect engine thing, or even something rather mechanical and animated in nature like the core from event horizon: https://www.google.com/search?q=event+horizon+core&biw=1440&bih=802&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OiZgVPb4I_HbsATNz4G4BA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Z2Tu9iEwlCY9hM%253A%3BYeOXtt9Jw2freM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wallarena.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F07%252Fevent_horizon_desktop_1920x1080_wallpaper-368602.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.trekbbs.com%252Fshowthread.php%253Ft%253D225220%3B1920%3B1080

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Oh, and congrats on the job!!!
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Deathstick

yeah i think fit all the props is gonna be a nice challenge.But i 'm sure it's gonna be fun to play with lot of different materials

Plus i want it to be in the late 70's to give a nice touch to it

And thank you for the ref those are pretty interesting !
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Care to take us through your lighting set-up?
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paulod
    Sure !
    It's not a real lighting, it's more 'not dark'

Really want to keep the blinds shadows though
    Lighting.jpg

So a Sun and some points lights to exaggerate the light bounces (only half of them are stationnary)

And an ambiant
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, im running a similar set-up but with spotlights outside each window mimicking the set-up found in the arch vis example. Seems to work ok for the time being.
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello

New Update
    So i did some pipes, and spent some time to make nice Master Shaders

So here is what it look like

I 'm a little bit confused with the lighting though.
    I got a hard time to light this properly.The sun's bounces doesn't seem to be enough to light properly the inside of the room . And adding some points light make metallic object way too bright ....
    Even with max exposure everything is too dark.
    I'll really work on the lighting later , but that really make me wonder how i should take care of that..

Anyway here is the screenshots.
    What do you think about those pipes ? especially the layout

Cheers
    Ue_3%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Ue_3%2520%25282%2529.jpg

Ue_3%2520%25283%2529.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    looks cool :D looking forward to seeing this finished
  • Flaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaw polycounter lvl 5
    Hey,

Really cool concept. I like the scene thus far.
    You were asking about the pipes; I'm wondering if some of the metal around the room could use some color variation? Right now everything is reading the same color. Maybe it's just the intense light from the power outside? Also you mentioned that you were having issues with the metal reading too bright, so that my be part of it. Anyway, that's my thought, maybe try something to set the metal apart a bit more from the stone.

As for the darkness I was going to ask about the exposure settings. Also that auto exposure setting. It seems like maybe you've tweaked on that somewhat? Do you have a post process volume on this scene? If so, maybe the brightness issue is hidden in there. Try the bloom settings, those bright lights outside may be messing with the exposure. Hope you figure something out.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [EDIT] I feel kind of stupid right now, as I totally passed over the screenshot that showed you're indeed using pt lights as fills and the skylight, silly me! Bottom advice is probably null and void, oh well. :)

You could also up the actual intensity of the light bounces that are baked (I think in the lightmass settings), and use a skylight as well with a low value number to basically act as a fill (prevents any dynamic shadows from becoming pitch black if required)

Then there's things like possibly adding in a couple of lightbulb models as sources around the corridor as well.

You can also keep in mind that all lighting doesn't necessarily have to have an actual physical light source/representation of the light source. You can, for instance, place a few point lights with certain colors and a low intensity/adjust light attenuation/radius/adjust specular intensity/min required roughness of the highlight in specific locations of a scene to act as your fill lights, and even disable any shadows cast from them to further hide the fact that they're actually there without being obviously faked to the viewer.

So while you should have light sources and shadows that make sense (your primary lights), you should totally feel free to experiment with adding in fill lights and "fake" lights that get the lighting conditions per area exactly how you want.

Also don't forget cubemap actors if you aren't using them already, I find they're still important in Unreal Engine 4 to make things like metal really shine even though every material technically has a little bit of reflection from roughness now.
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody !

So first Thanks for your previous inputs on this !
    I worked on my scene:Cleaned my materials, tweaked values , moved props.

I filled the ceiling so it looks more busy and keep the attention on the room.

I also noticed that after making the whole office i'll need to make a much more interesting ground to make a better link between the concrete and the carpet.

So now i can finally work on the office.

Any comments appreciated !

Ue_4_2.jpg
  • Flaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaw polycounter lvl 5
    That whiter light color looks much cleaner. You can really see the variations of the materials. Looking much better. That screenshot is blurry though and hurts my eyes. lol
    Not sure what happened with it.

Looking forward to your progress!
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !

@Flaw thanks for you comment ! i tried some post process and put way too much chromatic aberration... i'll deactivate it for WIP shots

Here is a new props for my environment : the desk
    i did a quick 3DO renderscreen03.jpgscreen01.jpgscreen02.jpg
  • KsiNadie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty nice! don't know why, but it has that silent hill vibe.
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody and happy new year !

Good resolutions : Finish that project ASAP

Here is an update !
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far, it's nice to see how the rooms starting to take function. It's sort of like Resident Evil meets HL2 EP2!
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks !
    Those two games are right in the feeling I want to give ! Glad you mentioned it 😃
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody new Update ! without post process (well except the last one ....)

So i added computers , chairs and lockers ! Changed a little bit the layout of the room . Also the mood : But i'm not very happy about it ..

So my next challenge : models more props and the core

And my problems :
    -i'll like to find a good mood (need to find more references, if you have some in mind feel free to show me , maybe that could give me fresh ideas )

-The Fresnel on dielectrics are way too high ! i don't know if it is a Unreal 4 problem or my lights are too powerful

-maybe put less props in the room , got kinda stuck when i had to put some cameras.

Open to any comments!

Cheers
    dkhiP6r.jpg2hKUOTW.jpg
    LRKrOvc.jpgbnCdwJb.jpgj9H3Zg4.jpgTvDeRe0.jpg
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second set of pic
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on Layout lighting of the room.
    I'm trying to establish shots before getting to much into details

Here is one
    UYdY0BX.jpg
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Wow, this has definitely come along way from the first post, and is looking really nice.

One little thing I noticed; the wear patterns on the rock near the window don't make a ton of sense to me. The concrete around the windows looks so beat up that it's hard to imagine how they could still be holding the glass in place.
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Meloncov !
    You are right . I won't modify the wall though : i think i will make a bigger structures for the blinds , so it looks like more it can support a heavy window

There is still lot of work to do ( i'm kinda stuck right now trying to have nice composition in every screenshot i have )

This is my first real time environment

Guys when you model an environment do you make a layout first and then place cameras OR the opposite ?
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on layout ,and mood .

I'm not totally convinced yet.... i like the mood , i may need a contrasting color .
    So i'm still looking for references to improve the quality of my pictures.

So if you have any references pic or ideas to go from OK to good , that'd be great !

Cheers !
    DTnipIS.jpg7Awa4t1.jpg[IMG][/img]8Ne5gA3.jpg
    tRoa72q.jpg
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !

slowly get to the end of this project !
    Made some Supercomputer, changed the layout and lighting .

So hopefully this week i'll make a Decals pass, then an fx pass. Some final lighting and screenshots and then i'll be done
    Any feedback would be super great ! Cheers
    wz3dG3b.jpg
    CJKw5bK.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fix the shading/material on dem pipes :D

Lookin' sahweet
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya god damn right . Doing this tonight !
  • Shizaiphrein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here i am guys !
    About to finish this project

Thanks who posted and helped me on this project . I'have learned a lot

But now i need you help one more time to polish one last time !.
    Those are the pictures i'm gonna ship !

So if you have a little something to make those better feel free to tell me so

Thanks again

Paix, Amour et Chocolat

Bisous

eN4XJfX.jpg
    NN0bz1e.jpg
    iJX6bO4.jpg
    Q3vCnLG.jpg
    R73kUWQ.jpg