Home General Discussion

marvelous designer

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
So how many people are using it now and what do you think of it.
i am still thinking it's a abit annoying and generic looking, but is might save me some time when trying to get a nice 'volumes' for trousers for example

my main beef with it is that it does not produce enough creases unless you have baggy clothing on extreme settings

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I've been using Marvelous Designer for almost all the player customization stuff in Rust. I can't recommend it highly enough for realistic clothing.

Here are few examples of things I've made with it:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rust-hide-and-burlap-clothing
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/more-rust-clothing
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rust-clothing

So, that's great and all, but there are limitations. These all required some work in Zbrush after doing the initial pass in MD, and for various reasons.

MD isn't capable of the resolution necessary for extremely fine detail, and it doesn't have tools for things like stitches, buttons, or other small details that you'd usually see on clothing. In addition, it doesn't contain good functionality for creating creases and memory folds you'd usually see around joints.

With those limitations in mind, though, it's an incredible time saver because it gets all the most difficult parts of creating convincing cloth out of the way. Overhanging folds, fine bunching around stitches, and believable draping are very easy to do in MD. Once you have that stuff taken care of, you can then import your garments into Zbrush and add additional details like memory creases or wear and tear.

Also, regarding it being kind of generic looking: Part of the reason for this is that a lot of people who use it don't switch their cloth presets, even when it would make sense to use different settings. The end result of that is very samey-looking and uniform folds even when it's supposed to be multiple materials that a garment is made of. Additionally, it seems that a lot of people don't do any cleanup or add any more detail in Zbrush after they've done their initial simulations, so this ends up making things look generally terrible.

Here's a very simple example of how changing a single setting can affect the way the cloth drapes and folds:

sUUjUap.jpg

It's pretty easy to see how not changing your settings would make the stuff you're working on look really bad.

I think that MD is one of the best purchases a character artist can make at this point if they need to make believable clothing or other cloth pieces and they already own Zbrush. The learning curve is pretty steep at first, especially since you have to understand how real garments are constructed, but it's worth learning because of the time it will save you in the long run.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    @Swizzle: Nice work mate! Since Marvelous Designer is based on real pattern sewing, how did you learn that? Did you brute-force your way? Or are there reference material/book that you would recommend to understand the way that real clothes are made (and that would be understandable by people who aren't professionnal tailor hahaha)? :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Xavier, thank you so much for posting the patterns.

Do you know of any specfic places that have a host of the pattern lay outs as well?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I know a few people who've gone as far as buying extensive amounts of reference material, including patternmaking books and pieces of clothing that they could split apart at the seams to take measurements, but I found that to be pretty unnecessary. The internet has a wealth of free information on what common clothing patterns look like, and simply taking a look at the clothes you wear every day is a great way to get started.

Most pieces of clothing use the same general shapes for their patterns, even if they are different types of garments. A t-shirt and a winter jacket will usually have generally similar main body and arm panel shapes, so it's pretty easy to infer what you need to make once you're familiar with how those patterns look.

One key thing to note, especially if you're going to be taking apart real clothing to make measurements, is that Marvelous Designer's seam stitching IS ABSOLUTELY NOT the same as real world stitching. Most common articles of clothing have what area called 'seam allowances.' These are extra areas of cloth that are stitched together and are usually not visible on the outside of clothes, and do not contribute to the final visible dimensions of the garment.

MD doesn't do seam allowances unless you specifically sew things together in the most complicated (and unnecessarily convoluted) way possible, so using disassembled clothing to take measurements is a bit overkill. Instead, you can just lay a garment on a flat surface and take measurements with a cloth tape measure to get fairly accurate numbers.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_9UhjyZDY[/ame]

After watching that video, I don't think you really need to study througouly tailoring stuff, just need to know basic knowledge on where you wanna sew the attach points...

edit:oh well,looks like you got your answer
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet work swizzle!

MD is ace once you get used to its "quirks"

I use it a lot, especially in work that requires a male/female of the same garment, swap avatar, adjust pattern a bit and bang second high poly done (mostly :D). I think that a solid base in cloth sculpting is really helpful when creating stuff that concept artist make up. Pattern adjustment comes down to knowing your anchor points for creases and cutting the pattern accordingly.

An added bonus is free perfectly flat UV's on the high poly I dont always use them, but having them there is great.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I love it particularly for draping cloth (skirts, capes, etc). Its takes the pain away....
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeahi always find a point where I can't go any further and greedily try and get more:/
    but then i have to go back in to zbrush. i think where it has helped is with the base forms - I always seemed to stick too close the human shape underneath when sculpting form scratch, but I still find that my cloth seems a bt too baggy with MD

Its finding that happy medium I suppose

I wil say one hting make sure that if you are using a custom avatar, that you get the scale similar to the default or the sim will not work as good
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Xavier, thank you so much for posting the patterns.

Do you know of any specfic places that have a host of the pattern lay outs as well?

Get a book on drafting pattern blocks/slopes from measurements and you will be able to make any tailored garment you can imagine.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I love it.

I use it to make super quick base meshes for sculpting in zbrush. I also use it for super tight clothing, and sometimes to do realistic stuff, although I find the sewing etc sort of annoying when you could sculpt a lot of it pretty quickly.

Seth is amazing with md, by the way, you can see a some of his soldiers in the md design gallery on their site (you'll know it's his because they say "first place" on them).

Beyond that, md is fantastic for drapery - simulating fabric like curtains or drapery. It would be impossible (mostly) to sculpt certain things (particularly bunched up things) while ending up with perfect uvs for tiling patterns etc. But md makes it super easy.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I remember a friend mentioning he had bought version one a few months before they released number 2.

Apparently they removed features from number one to try and get people to upgrade.
    Take it for what it is about support of customers.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    That's weird, maybe it was before the current monthly pricing? It's pretty cheap at 30/mo, especially for freelancers. As a freelancer I would just grab a month of it when I needed it for a specific client, otherwise I would let it lapse.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah this was ages ago. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    with version 2 I am sure you could stitch the seams in 3d, which is much more sensible I think
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    MD looks like it can produce great results, but I honestly find it so difficult to get my head around the program and always end up reverting to sculpting on a base mesh instead. I would love to get better at it and use it professionally though, so will be putting some more time into learning it soon.

That and the fact that a few people I know who use it tell me it's really easy to use and I'm like "Ahh screw you" haha XD
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well the interface is not that complicated, because you realy only have a few tools and options.
    that said it doesn't make creating cloth easy.
    you just become more of a taylor rather then a sculpter.

i've been using it for a couple of projects now and it has its ups and downs.
    for example certain types of clothes are very hard to get right, especially stiff clothing like suits.
    also if your base is not realistic, you are going to have a bad time:
    Just+a+bodybuilder+wearing+a+suit+https+wwwyoutubecom+v+7u4rnzyukkm+version+3+start+49+end+54+autoplay+1+hl+en+us+rel+0_abcba9_5091749.jpg

also you cant subdivide the meshes, so if your resolution isn't high enough for sculpting you are kind of fucked (maximum resolution is one face per 1mm)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Goeddy you're not 'fucked' if you don't get high-res enough in marvelous, its not much of a hassle to zremesh and project. You lose UV's, but you have options with the UV's if you really need both them and the re-mesh.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That's what bothers me, losing the UVs. It's not a massive hassle, but not having to re-UV my work after remeshing would be really nice.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Totally agree that it sucks losing the UVs.

The only real solution when you absolutely need them is to save a copy of the original, then remesh.

After you remesh, but before you resculpt, UV your remesh, and save that as well.

At the end, you can apply the needed texture to the original MD mesh with properly laid out UVs. Then you project the texture onto the remeshed version with the UV's (the one you saved before you sculpted, so that the projection is quick and easy and has no/few errors. Then duplicate the texture and apply it to your resculpted version, which should have the same UV's.

Its not ideal, but it works.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    heheh thanks for the kind words ysalex, if I remember correctly you have "first" written on your gallery stuff too ( beat me into 3rd ya git :D) you aren't too shabby with MD either

I have found that quadrifying the mesh in MD before export at a low particle distance gives me a good enough sculpting base, I don't use MD's thickness though cos the edges are terrible. Instead I panel loop the parts keeping a slight profile on the edge, that way I have a sculpt mesh that still has UV's on it. the edges need a little tidy but nothing too drastic.

Avatar size plays an important part in MD too, scalling your custom avatar up a bit before import to MD will give you tighter creases and a more dense mesh if thats what you need. Or if thats the look you are going for.It does mean that you have to rescale to target size somewhere down the line but I usually leave that till the low.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lol, my fat dude -
    fatcloth.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's looking pretty great Ruz - are you using the suspenders as a way to pin the cloth to the mesh ? And even if not ... it still looks like a pretty smart approach !

I need to dust off whichever version I bought back then ... I've only used it a few times for very simple things, but that was enough to convince me that the program is pretty powerful.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers pior , yeah i didn't actually need to do that - just messing about, but it does give you another option. you can draw internal lines and pin stuff to them
    normally you have to draw a box but if you double click you can terminate the box and draw straight lines. great for stitching belt loops.

I put every stitching seam on maximum fold also, gives a nice tidy seam
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Something I found pretty handy is bringing in a posed version of your mesh to use as a morph. ie. so the arms are straight and allow the mesh to wrap around it, then morph the mesh to bend the arms and get the creases in the crook of the elbow and tension on the back. This might also be useful for adjusting the avatar size as Seth said (but you'd need to scale up the pattern too to accommodate).

parka.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Great tip Mongrelman, nice job on that jacket as well.

Something I've had success with is increasing the friction coefficient of a material (under the material's Physical Property tab). Doing this means the folds are more likely to stay in place on something like an arm for example while you're tweaking, giving you more control over the final wrinkles.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks great Mongrelman - you seem to have a lot of control over it
    back of the sleeves seem a bit smooth though:)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers :)

Yeah it could still do with some work; this was the first project I've used MD for so it's a learning experience. I think the main thing to take away (as others have said) is that you can quickly knock out a mesh to take into zbrush and do the final touches there. And you can take the pattern onto other characters and tweak it.

A couple of handy things with this mesh is that you can pull the hood up or down by grabbing it and that the two fabric strips where the zip goes (bottom parts in the 2D view) have a division on the edge where they are sew together. By pulling those 'verts' up or down in the 2D view you can essentially zip/unzip the parka (delete the sew line to completely unzip). So this gives quick flexibilty that would be more cumbersome in other apps.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Has anyone tried using morphs to generate multiple normal maps and blend between them in game during animations to get some moving folds?
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks so much to those who showed their patterns :D Can't wait to play around in Marvelous Designer some more!
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    At first I was impressed what MD is capable of, but I never got anything working by myself. Couldn't get garments to fit. They were either too tight, or too loose. No cool-looking drapey, and sewing patters is kind of a pain for me. Even a tank top is hard to make a believable-looking. Well, after dozens of failings with MD...

...I created basemeshes for clothes from a scratch I'll try to sculpt folds and wrinkles all by myself from a scratch. And that's hard too. :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    FourtyNights : Did you use actual real life garments as reference ? From my short experience with MD, it's pretty much impossible to get anything good out of the program without those (and that makes a whole lot of sense, actually !)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    FourtyNights : Did you use actual real life garments as reference ? From my short experience with MD, it's pretty much impossible to get anything good out of the program without those (and that makes a whole lot of sense, actually !)

yeah exactly. i went to a thrift store and bought a whole bunch of "disposable" clothing - clothing that was so cheap it didn't matter if i ruined it. pulled apart all the stitches and seams and stuff, and made plans that were as close to identical as possible in MD. (you can actually do this even easier, as i found out, by photographing the garments and applying the photo as a texture in MD, then planning your segments on top of the photo).

once you build up a library of garments MD becomes a really REALLY fast way of getting a quick base for your characters clothing.