Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Barrel

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!

Recently got a design tablet and have been working on hand painted textures.

I am looking for some feedback, as harsh as you truly want it to be, I want to improve!

Here is my latest design, a simple barrel.

Barrel.png[/url]

Replies

• JabacOrdof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JabacOrdof polycounter lvl 3
    You've got the right idea, but you can definitely make it better by pushing it a bit more. Take those cracks you have on the wood and push them and exaggerate them like the deep black gaps you made between the boards. You can also do the same thing to the metal, really emphasizing the highlights and creating some deep scratches. Keep experimenting and you'll keep getting better!
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    If you're using Maya, go to Lighting > Use no lights. That takes away any default rendering done by maya. We can give better feedback if you take unlit screenshots, and probably see the texture flat too :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well to begin with, don't ever use Black or white. They don't exist ! :)

Keep in mind that handpaint is about faking volume. if you take a piece of wood stack it with another, the crack in between isn't going to be black, it's going to be SLIGHTLY dark than the original color.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    From what I can see, the light direction for your highlights is coming from both above and under. Decide where you want your imaginary light to be originating from and keep it consistent throughout the texture.

Quick example of light direction I found in the handpainted thread:
    4f13c0c0622aeb9d8033e79c1362f762.jpg

You can see it's coming from the upper right.
    Also, like Odow said, no use of pure black / white. Try to always have some colour in your shadows. No matter how dark something may be, it's never pure black.
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! thanks for all the advice! Figured I would restart the texture completely with a new approach.

Here is the outcome! any improvements people can see?

image.png
  • Bloodhound8784
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloodhound8784 polycounter lvl 3
    It seems much more visually interesting than the first pic. You are doing a better job with the lighting info, however I would suggest are greater variety of color in the wood. Wood naturally has a variation of color within it. Don't be afraid to throw some reds, yellows, and greens in it. It makes for a much more visually interesting texture and breaks up the muddiness that comes from using colors that are to close together on the spectrum. Overall I can say that there is improvement keep it up.
  • funkbro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funkbro polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a video by Jamin Shoulet that I found useful for metal (Y)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQodOJ3-dCQ
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback Bloodhound, I will try to implement more color into the wood.

Funkbro, that video has been super helpful, glad you noticed my struggle with metal ;)
  • Heather_Bea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heather_Bea polycounter lvl 5
    Needs more color variation imo. search hand painted wood, like this one:
    woodWIP.jpg
    Bloodhound put it well. Other things you can do is look at real wood. Searching "Wood planks" will give you a variety of different colors, types, etc.

Also, it looks like there is a bit of an outline at the bottom of the second barrel, and all over the first. I think its a neat idea, one that I haven't seen around a lot. Just remember that 3d does not usually have outlines, but shadows. (Hope that makes sense)

Overall I think you improved from the first to the second. I'd love to see you do a third!

My only advice to you is never be complacent, always think that you can do better. I'll usually leave something I think is complete for a day or two, then come back to it and see all the things that I missed/can do better.

Good luck with your hand painting adventure! ^_^