Home Technical Talk

Out Of Focus (blurry) areas mask on photo?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello, im playing with 3d scanning via photogrammetry. I want to know (not just for the purpose of photogrammetry), if there is any function/feature in photoshop or after effects or any other software , that allows you to automatically select (mask) out of focus/blurry areas on photos. In photography as you know, you have a limited depth of field, not everyting can be in focus in one photo (most of the time). Is there a way how to create automatically masks (selections) via some input number, and it selects only "sharp" (not blurry/not out of focus areas) on photos?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Not that I can think of...I can't think of a logical way really in which a computer would be able to tell the difference between what was in focus and what wasnt, unless the photograph itself had data about that from a digital camera.

Anyway, the nice thing about out of focus stuff is that there's usually a blurred edge, so you can just mask it out with the wand tool, put some feathering on that bitch, and invert your selection.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    Well there has to be some way, for example focus stackign software like zerene stacker or even the "auto allign" and "auto blend" layers feature in photoshop (under edit) (which does similiar thing), can focus stack images on top of each other, so they can find "blurry" areas on the images. But i have only 1 per per shoot... there has to be some tool, even in photoshop or some work-around that would allow me to select the "blurry" parts of my picture... really cant anyone think of some tool?