Home Technical Talk

How to get a totally flat lit render on Max?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
Hi there, I'm making a hand-painted skybox and I need to bake it from a sphere in 3ds Max to get angular deformation at the borders. I'm using the self-illumination material, but unfortunately it doesn't ignore the lighting, as you can see there are brighter and darker zones on my bake while I need everything to be uniform like on my original painting :

ORIGINAL

vd0ZkuX.jpg

BAKED

PVS6VAl.jpg

There is a lot of shading from the sphere showing on the baked texture. My question is, how do I need to set up my material to get rid of any light information? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The Self Illum should work. Maybe your specular level need to be set to 0?
  • Eric Chadwick
    In the Standard material, try setting the Ambient/Diffuse color swatches both to black. They're linked by default, so you should only need to edit one swatch.

Also if you're baking a cubemap, using a Reflect?Refract will get you better results. Not sure if this is what you're after though.
  • Megacorpse
    Offline / Send Message
    Megacorpse polycounter lvl 8
    Also if you're baking a cubemap, using a Reflect?Refract will get you better results. Not sure if this is what you're after though.
    I'm actually using reflect/refract, as far as the deformation goes, it's exactly what I needed.

I tried playing with your hints and found the solution : The trick is to set the "self-illumination" "slider on the right to 100. No need to use a self-illumination map or to change the diffuse/ambient, maybe you were referring to that when talking about self-illumination, monster. Thanks for the help guys !