Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spiderman Unlimited Art Dump

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
antonkoz polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to posting some art I made for Spiderman Unlimited, for Gameloft NYC.
I hope you like what I've got, let me know what you guys think. More to come soon.

Cheers

eALtfa.jpg

hq2XIo.jpg

t47dw0.jpg

dT4mvJ.jpg

OxGbhA.jpg

lLkqFe.jpg

CCngbD.jpg

FXyXZV.jpg

scgSo8.jpg

Mgpoai.jpg

ss4sS4.jpg

NE4Dll.jpg

hLovoz.jpg

CziegT.jpg

h3fjex.jpg

Fxd2b0.jpg

Replies

• stefmen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the shading of them!
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    these are really good! do mind if i ask what the average poly count of the characters and their texture sizes are?
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    yea the cell shading is awesome! nice work
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, very cool work here! Mind explaining what I'm looking at tho? lol. I'm assuming you made a highpoly, baked down normals to a lp, added diffuse and spec with this cell shader?

Curious about the process here.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn, nice. Very neat style and I mirror dustin's inquiry on the shading styles.

I find that a lot of what makes the high res stuff so special gets a bit lost on the in-game artwork. A lot of the details brought out in the highpoly work gets lost once the texture and/or render style is brought in. Maybe it comes through when lighting is hitting it in motion, though. I should play the game.
  • antonkoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

So to answer your qusetions, my role for the creation of these characters includes the zbrush sculpt, creating game topo, baking AO, Normals, Polypaint, to create the textures, skinning the model to a preexisting rig set up by our animatior Mike Woosang Kim, and creating the ramp textures for the shader (written by our TD Mike Aviles)

The characters are anywhere between 3-3.5k Tris, and the final texture sizes are 1024 for diffuse and 512 for the normal, but I work on 2048 textures to start.

As far as the shader (I will have to ask how much I can say about the code, even these images had to go through an approval process) it is basically a ramp shader that uses a small ramp texture and reacts with the light direction and normals to fake the lighting.

The ramp texture itself is a set of small horizontal ramps assigned to different channels of the texture. Red channel for example would shade the skin, and the blue channel the body. So the gradient in the red channel would be softer and lighter and the body sharper and darker and include different values like white to grey to black.

It's a bit convoluted to explain but a very clever thing and allows us to achieve many different toon shading effects.

Please let me know if I can clarify this better for you guys.

Thank you
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Really cool and clean style! I too really want to check out these in motion now.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Cool models! Good solution for the cell shader!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    These are pretty neat. Sounds like a cool setup for the shading as well...nicely done!
  • antonkoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'm very happy to hear you like it :) And yeah definitely check out the game it's pretty fun.
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice style! I like it!