Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Character Art Internship

Just wanted to stick my progress so far at the top so people don't have to scroll through the whole thread

Original post below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm super late to this party because my computer was broken for the better part of the time directly following when ArenaNet posted their internship. But hey, better late than never. I've been in a rush to get as much done as I can and it's probably well past time to get some feedback, so here it is.

iNtAoVLjpg
FCwqZ6Kjpg

Obviously at this point I'm missing a lot of detail work, but I'm just trying to get major forms and basic detailing in for the time being. Already I think the neck brace needs a re-do, and I still need to make the little skirt on the helm and the blade things on the right arm. Some of the insert brushes I used are a bit choppy too and could probably use some love. Anyone wondering about the proportions, I built the base mesh alongside a character model I pulled from in game, so the proportions are 1:1 for a norn character with the exception of the head, which I enlarged a little.

If anyone wants close ups of any specific bits, do let me know and I'll be happy to oblige. Any critique and suggestions are more than welcome of course, that's why I posted.

Edit: It occurred to me that people unfamiliar with ArenaNet's art test may wish to see the concept image that this is based on, so here it is.art_test_arenaNetjpg

Replies

• Voltage3000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voltage3000 polycounter lvl 6
    I really like your armor design. Especially the breast plate and arms. Did you use Zbrush strap brushes for it or did you model them out in 3dsmax/maya? I know you said the base you're working off of isn't yours, but the area where the breasts meet the shoulder seem kindof off to me.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Voltage3000 : Mmm, yeah, to be perfectly honest I didn't put much work at all in to the body once I had the proportions down, because I figured most of it would be covered in armor. I'll have to highlight all the areas that show through and actually do some work on them though, probably can't get away with a completely barbie doll body.

Most everything was done in maya first, then brought over to zbrush for uprezzing with the exception of a few insert mesh brushes (which I built the segments for in maya anyway) and a few of the more basic or organic shapes. I don't have the patience to manipulate hard surface stuff like that in ZBrush alone.
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    Looking excellent so far. You really nailed some of the forms in the kinda Celtic knot armor pieces. curious are, you using the in game armor for reference too or trying to stick explicitly to the concept art? I ask because I've been working on the same art test and I've kinda been working with guild wars alt tabbed in the background with the Norn character selector up in the background since the guardian class female has that armor set equiped to preview. There's some slight differences so I wonder if i should be basing it solely off the concept instead parts of each.
  • popawheelie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    I had a go at this some years ago for some fun. Insert meshes with the spline stoke was great for that armor design. Knocked it over in a few hours.
    Just in case you want to have a look at my attempt.
    http://kelseylightworks.com/2013/11/guild-wars-2-fan-art/

Just keep an eye the forms of that female Norn, yours seems to be a bit stocky in comparison to the concept.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    You have a very nice start, since you are still blocking out some things I did a paint over of a couple areas
    R8LkOgx.jpg

The armor around the arms needs the silhouette to match the concept, currently what you have is very flat.

Not sure if you just haven't gotten to it but don't forget the tassel-type things that wrap around the helmets.

The calf and ankles could be thinned out more, they currently look very thick.

The neck brace looks fine, I'm a little worried that the carvings you have won't bake out well, if you soften them up it should do the trick.

I know the body/face isn't really the focus but I would fix up the face, a bad face can be distracting even if everything else is good. In the paint-over I made it a narrower, and adjusted the proportions a little bit. The nostrals are currently too wide, and the base of the nose is too high up. It's difficult to see the eyes but it looks like they need a little work as well, they may be too wide and it looks like the forms around them aren't quite right.

I like the way you sculpted the fur, it makes a nice base, definitely make some separate pieces for alphas

You may be planning on doing this but make sure the armor pieces have bevels and avoid 90 degree edges, it will make your life easier when you get to the bakes and will help them not look s flat.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chronicle : I'm trying to stick to the concept as much as possible. I've been using in-game reference just to see some of the shapes from different angles, but for the most part I'm trying to diverge as much as possible from the in-game interpretations of what the concept art doesn't show. I figure most people will be sticking pretty close to the in-game, so I'm trying to break free of that where I can.

@popawheelie : I did notice she was starting to look a bit stocky. I think it's because there's a lot of elements that are layering on her hips and they're ending up too wide. I'll try to slim some stuff up down there.

@Alemja : These are great points, thanks so much. I think you mentioned a paint over of the face, but it might not have posted right. EDIT: just now realizing that you did in fact shift the head in the picture you posted.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of the suggested edits.

BeEkVDH.jpg
  • Emanuel_palalic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emanuel_palalic polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome design man. I don't know if it's just me but the proportions feel a bit off. The torso feels a bit wide, maybe a bit long too, that could just be the cape covering things up thats throwing me off a bit. The armor in the torso is also feeling a bit thin. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Mamiebrjota
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I'd like to give you any constructive criticism, but I'm a newb :(

I'd just like to ask, you probably use a drawing tablet: what tablet do you use ?
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Emanuel_palalic : Some of that wideness could just come from norn's bustyness and the angle that I took the screenshot from, but the chest piece does open up a little at the bottom where it doesn't need to, so maybe I can do something with that.

The design definitely makes the torso look long though. The skirt is suuuuper low on the hips and the ultra wedgie thong just makes that whole torso to hip transition very ambiguous. I'm hoping that's something that can be clarified somewhat when I go back and refine some of the anatomical detail where skin is showing. Right now the whole thing is very barbie-like and I'm sure that doesn't help at all.

@Mamiebrjota : Don't worry about your own skill level when making critiques. I would say that while skill level definitely helps your ability to pick up on things, most people's ability to offer legitimate critique exceeds their ability to create, and there's nothing wrong with pointing out if something looks off to you regardless of your own ability. If you frame things constructively, most reasonable people will welcome your comments.

To answer your question I use a Wacom Intuos 5, though in my dreams of being a wealthy artist I'd have a cintiq like they had in the computer labs at my college. I will say that Wacom tablets have an issue where the connector plug is not particularly well seated on the internal chipset and it has pretty serious connection issues if you start to move it around or keep plugging and unplugging it (this is how my Intuos 4 died, and even being very careful with my Intuos 5 it's pretty touchy).
  • winf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks to me like the proportions of the concept art are a bit strange to begin with but you should keep the following things in mind:

The woman is a triangle, meaning her shoulders are wider than her hips. This character also has a very short torso and long legs. Your torso also feels a bit flat where as I think this character should have some abs and volume (they are of course covered by her armor though).

Her underwear looks to be sitting below her hips bones (not baywatch style). If you look closely at her more exposed hip you can see that part of her upper thigh is actually showing. You need to move her draped skirt down onto her upper thighs.

I would look at Taylor Swifts's legs for reference. You can see that from the top of her leg down are to converging parallel lines with very little curvature. The armor on her legs needs to be more like her arm armor and sit further away from her leg.

Also that last band of her torso armor should fall on the smallest part of her waist.

Her face is not as wide as you have sculpted.

Another over all thing to keep in mind is this character is tall and slim, but strong. She goes out and swings a heavy sword or ax and then comes home and eats a steak.

Hope all this helps c:
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Curious, since there's gonna be a lot of using a lot of opacity in the low poly stuff, what advantage do you see there being for starting on a highpoly sculpt and moving to low poly instead of starting low and bringing it to a high poly sculpt afterwards?
  • AcidZack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I cover the head with my hand the body proportions look a bit better, honestly I think the head is much too small. You should also exaggerate the flaring of the antlers a bit, the back ones should bend down more so the silhouette looks more like there are 2 separate antlers from the front. If you were to give it a flat black shader it would look more like one set of antlers.

Also I would recommend fixing the face, I'm aware the ArenaNet people said that it didn't matter that much, but I would still give it the same attention to detail because some of the other applicants are going to make a nice face AND armor.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Sorry, I had done the liquidfy paint over of the face on the full body image, completely forgetting you had a close up (was working on it late at night) Here's another image to go along with the points I made

abS3tJQ.jpg

Since your face is missing a lot of the structure and landmarks I would recommend looking at this for reference http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76733
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @winf : I agree with most of your points as to where the armor falls and such, but as I mentioned I'm trying to build the armor around the exact proportions of the in-game character model, and there are certain conflicts between that and the concept piece (namely that the breasts of the concept piece come down much farther while the in-game model has them pushed up very high and nearly spherical, this makes placing the bottom edge of the chest piece correctly make the whole thing look overlong). I do think the design of the armor causes some ambiguity around where the hips are and stuff as well, but I also haven't added any anatomical markers on the body, it's very barbie like and doesn't communicate anything at all at this point. I'm hoping that once I go back and sculpt the body out a little more, that stuff will become clearer, but I totally agree that it's a problem area at this point, and I'll definitely keep what you said in mind while I work on it.

@Chronicle : The benefits of going high to low are pretty significant. I usually start by making a low poly "block out" to get all my shapes, then move in to zbrush to make it high poly, then completely remake the final low poly to bake on to. Reason for this is that a lot of shapes can happen in the high poly that you might not be totally aware of when doing the low poly. It is much easier to plan out where you need the geometry and where you can re-use texture space when you have the whole finished model in front of you. You don't get caught up adding geometry where you don't need it, and it's easier to tell where you need texture space for detail and when you can down rez a little bit. The most important thing though is that your normals bake much more cohesively when everything is in place. If you're just painting on normals and building up the low poly with them, or worse, building the low poly assuming you'll just be able to normal and alpha everything out without guidance, it's going to end up looking very artificial.

As a side note, zBrush does a very good job baking normals if you sculpt subdivisions on a pre-topologized and UV'd mesh (ie starting with the low poly, and sculpting up). It's still quite hard to know where all of your shapes are going to be though, so a lot of people re-topologize halfway through their sculpt and project what they've done so far on to the clean mesh. This is very good practice for creatures, animals, or anatomy sculpts that don't have too many separate parts, but it doesn't work so great for armor since you mostly want to keep that stuff separate. It's also totally useless if you have 3D armor pieces that you're eventually just going to bake on to a 2D plane. You still want them to look 3D when you bake them down, but they'll be nearly impossible to sculpt cleanly when the edges are "fake".

Now the opposite is true for things like background buildings or trees that are going to use tiling textures. There are some situations where you can just get much higher resolution textures on to non-organic things like buildings by using tiling textures; or really don't care about there being visible seams, like on small trees, rocks, or bushes that no one is going to look at. Sometimes people sculpt out things to use on a tiling normal map and bake them to planes, but most of the modelling happens after the texture is complete. In this case there isn't really a "low to high" workflow, so much as a "texture to low" one, and it does require at least some degree of advance planning.

I hope that helped, but I may have also misunderstood your question, so please let me know if you want alternate clarification.

@AcidZack : The head is actually somewhat large for a norn (they have very very tiny heads). I built the model along side one I pulled from the game so everything is 1:1 to the in game model. I'm in agreement that there are some interesting proportions on norns, but you'll have to take that up with ArenaNet. What I think is an issue is that I don't really have any surface markers of anatomical detail on the body mesh, and that's because I frankly haven't worked on it at all since I first made the base mesh. That sort of causes a lot of areas to become ambiguous and messes with your interpretation of the proportions (especially given they're already a little weird). That's becoming increasingly commented upon, so it'll be what I'm posting on my next update along with the face fixes (I totally agree with you there). I'll keep an eye on the antlers too and see if there's anything more interesting I can do with them. Thank you for the feedback.

@Alemja : Thanks so much, that reference is super helpful.
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BKegerize. That was exactly the question I had in mind. Currently when working with this project, I had originally planned on modeling and UVing the low poly stuff, then bringing them into zBrush, sculpting and baking directly. I was kinda trying to plan in advance where certain transparency was gonna be and modeled the armor planes accordingly. Based on your advice I'm beginning to think I might be better off just blocking out armor shapes and then just sculpting in dynamesh and retopologizing later. My only concern was that I'm fairly new to zBrush since my Uni taught mudbox(gee thanks...) so I wasn't sure how difficult that process would be. Thanks a bunch for the advice btw, and for letting me pick your brain a bit.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chronicle : Re-topologizing in ZBrush can be kind of a pain, it's unnecessarily complicated, and is missing a lot of standard tools that you would find in other re-topology programs. I personally prefer Maya 2015's quad draw feature on a live surface as it is very flexible and allows you to additionally edit the model outside of the constraints of your high-poly; but barring that I would recommend Topo-Gun for your re-topologizing needs. If you have no other option though, don't worry, ZBrush can still get the job done, it will just take some patience.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright. I've gotten some great critiques and suggestions so far, thank you all so much. Here's my progress with the sculpt. At this point I'm going to move on to building the low poly, but I'm still very much open to edits on what I have so far.

f6ClD4h.jpg
    Nq8ie8z.jpg
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a bit. My job had mandatory overtime most of last week and I've only been able to get a few hours in here and there, but I've finally finished the low-poly / bakes.

I did a really quick color pass in substance painter just to get my color areas down, since that's a really great program for masking out areas in 3D space. Unfortunately I can't see back-faces in substance painter, if anyone knows if it's possible to turn them on please let me know. Google isn't helping me with this one. I also have alpha's turned off for the moment, but I left myself some texture space for hair tufts later on (so that blob of a back cape isn't going to stay that way)

Sorry for the poor quality image, if anyone wants one with more detail I'd be happy to oblige.

yzOaOjq.jpg
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a lot more I wish I could do, but I'm out of time for now. I might go back and touch up some parts that I'm really not happy with later, but for now I'm satisfied with what I've managed.

Huge thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions, you guys really helped me through this.

NE81th8.jpg
    VQWOqTR.gif
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! The only thing that really jumps out to me is the underwear strap. It looks really painted on and super flat. I suggest either extruding the mesh or applying new normals to that. It's distracting from the beauty of the rest of the model, really great work! Also, looks like the normals got a little lumpy on the straps covering the shins, not sure if that can be adjusted though.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, last year saw me off to a late start due to a broken computer and was further complicated by a new job and overtime, so I didn't get to do nearly as much on this piece as I wanted to. The good news is that ANet has their internship contest back up, I have no similar obstacles, and I'm given the opportunity to revisit this model, which I've been really wanting to do anyway. I've just opened up the thread again since ANet may want to see progress, and a lot of what I did last year will be integral to my continuation of the project even though there's a lot that I'll be planning on re-doing.

I've highlighted a lot of what I feel to be the major issues on this piece that I want to address. If anyone else has comments in these early stages please feel free to pile them on. This is an opportunity for a complete rework. The one exception will be anatomical proportions

• BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So part of the main problem with the folds was that it was all on one very low poly mesh that flattened it all out a lot, the belt was included in that, so it was especially bad there. There were also a few folds that sort of came out of nowhere and really needed to be trimmed down, and the sculpt itself was very chunky, especially on the front.

I've broken the low poly up in to a couple of pieces since I have more than a few tri's to work with and redid the sculpt. The fur will be added on separately since one of the problems I had with the original was that there was a very crisp line from cloth to fur that I want to break up more this time around.

I also have a redo of the underwear ready to bake on so it's not quite as wobbly (the original high poly for that was just a mess), but my next step will be unifying all the textures I have with the tweaked UV layout so I can start in on texturing.
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    howmuch more time do you have to work on this? did they give you a submission date/cutoff time? 
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not entirely sure, but it took them a while to get around to it last year. I'll have something that I'm ready for feedback up by tomorrow.
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So things are going to look a bit weird here just because there's no spec at the moment and I'm using maya's default viewport which is always going to look like crap, but I just wanted to show off the new cloth / belt. The last skirt was very "chunky", whereas I think this represents much more accurate cloth behavior. I also cleaned up the thong to be a bit less "painted on" and have been doing touchups in a lot of the unfinished areas. The boots still need some love, but they're moving along. All that's really left to do is finish up the boots, align the spec with the new texture maps, and pose it.
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    the new cloth looks really great, I really like the coloring and the thong looks a lot better. good work man 
  • BKegerise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up with the boots and the spec map, so I put it all together. Barring any major feedback, I'm going to call this done for now since I leave for a trip tomorrow morning and kinda want to get this submitted.