Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Likeness Sculpt

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
moonlazer polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys this is a likeness sculpt im practicing in my free time or when I want to take a couple hours break from my current WIP to have some sculpting practice. This is the before and after of today's session but it's time to get back to work!

CC always welcome!

MM_Likeness_2_zpsjnw4adow.jpg~original

MM_Likeness_1_zps0a41t0bj.jpg~original

Replies

• moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some time to dedicate to this. Went back to basic forms a silhouette for likeness.

1_zpseybsm4y5.jpg~original
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    little update tonight
    untitled.6_zpszemgkaq0.jpg~original
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Not bad, i think i see who you're going for, but you've made his head increeeedibly tall.
  • TheodorUrhed
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    His brow is too deep, his eyes are too large and you should sculpt him with an expression he has often. He very seldom has his mouth slightly open, this one seems a lot more common: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1655507/images/o-MATTHEW-MCCONAUGHEY-facebook.jpg
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the CC. If i can recover my hard drive ill finish this. D;
    I tried to boot my PC up Sunday and it's dead. Lasted 6 years but I won't be able to finish this until i have access to the HDD. New ring comes in about a week and a half they say.
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry to hear about your hardware issues. I had that happen to me pretty recently. I hope it gets figured out soon! Good luck :)

As for your sculpt, do you want us to guess who it is a likeness to or are you going to tell us? :P Like someone mentioned I have an idea of maybe who you're going for but also for almost any human the face is too elongated, especially without the hair.
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    @nickcomeau
    I turned it on and it did the whole pulse on and off. Troubleshot the hardware and it looks like the motherboard. It's so old so I had to upgrade. Hahah yeeeeah sorry ;p

It was my way of testing the sculpts likeness. If people had noticed then I was on the right track. He's suppose to be Matthew McConaughey. Funny thing is the day before my computer shat the bed I cross referenced his head. The face was off a bit in the front view using reference with various images as well as in perspective but when you go to profile there was serious issues. So I know it's getting there I just have to revisit the last ztl file I had and post my findings.

@TheoderUrhed Sorry for being MIA on your CC. You're right about the shape and likeness of him. I should have had a disclaimer that I hadn't began to dip my toes into expression until I've gotten the basic anatomy as close as I feel I could get it to. Definitely don't want a static stone face. In terms of his eyes it really depends on the reference you find of him. What he's looking at and or doing but I agree it needs to be toned down. When I do the expression I'll add gravity and close that gap, change the shape of the eyes and so on. Admitted the geo is a bit rough around the eyes with dynamesh so I was just fighting them to get to to look like eyes. Thanks for your feed back.

When I have access to the files on my HDD I'll upload my reference sheets. Thanks all for coming by.
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back and with a new rigg! ;D
    I was able to recover my files from my HDD and remeshed the old head for lower, smoother typo. Tonight I just tweaked anatomy as it was wildly busted as noted above. Thanks for the CC! So tomorrow I'm going to push the secondary shapes, expression and asymmetry.

It's not quite there but I'm ecstatic to be back and ready to get this done. CC welcomed!
    1_zpsaehrracu.jpg~original

Some reference for those who don't know the face.

mcconaughey_zpspvfrj74h.jpg~original
  • avagoyamug
    Offline / Send Message
    avagoyamug polycounter lvl 12
    Coming along nicely! Have another look at his mouth - the mouth in your sculpt is anatomicaly correct but his lips have quite a characteristic shape to it.
    Another huuuuge help in my experience is to block out the hair (just a really course dynamesh blob for the shape), otherwise it will be very hard to judge your results effectively (...the real guy would probably also look strange to you, without hair).
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update from tonight's work.

ZBrush%20Document_zpsqrsq7k2m.jpg~original
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just a few notes, not too familiar with likenesses but it seems to me that;

- The eyes are a little too "open", and not quite as slanted down on the outer edge as they should be.
    - His jaw seems just a tad too "hero"-ish, from the front it seems very strong and angular, while the photoref seems a little more rounded out. The broad of the chin is a bit smaller in the ref, too.
    - The ears seem a bit tall. Could just be camera lens trickery but IDK, seems pretty drastic.

All in all, good job sticking with it. Very nice sculpt so far. Looking forward to a final result!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think the head still feels narrow.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ditto. Maybe just scale horizontally just a TAD bit.
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    ∠( ᐛ 」∠)_ Alright, alright, alright. Tonight's progress thus far. Slowly getting closer to a resemblance. Tweaking anatomy and wobbliness of geo, asym, secondary shapes and so on.

@BagelHero Thanks for the second set of eyes. Made said tweaks but even after posting this the forms still need tlc.

@slosh & Brain Yup, very narrow.

Gonna get back to work. Thanks for stopping by for CC or just lurking all. Brb

tonights_zpswoxglusj.jpg~original