Home General Discussion

geometry detail

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
What kind of geometry detail goes into detailing of city environemnt (read: polygon coount limits) for stuff like city scape objects ranging from park benches, trash cans to buildings? That is if the project you are working on is First/Third person shoooter for modern systems.

I am very much comfortable doing stuff in lowpoly levels, but now when there is pbr and higher detail work, how much geometry detail goes into these?

I find that many of my higher detail stuff doesn't benefit from using normal maps (i feel that normal maps will be phased out really soon).

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My opinion as a hobbyist who spends too much time on Polycount:

I don't feel like normal maps will be completely going away anytime soon, but there is a lot of things that you can just bevel and throw a detail normal map on and get just as good or better results than if you just baked a normal map. But there's also some situations where geometry will start causing aliasing artifacts sooner than a texture would, I recently ran into that with a project. Also normal maps don't hold up with VR, so some games are going to have to cut back on using them.

People are going to say tri count really depends on the engine, the lighting, how well you can instance and reduce draw calls, your target platform, etc. I think most people here will agree though, you can put a few thousand tris into a bench or trash can and not have to worry about it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Normal maps are going staying around for a long time, pbr materials really relie on them
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah questions like this come up all the time...there is no magic answer, everybody does stuff differently.

Normal maps aren't going to be phased out anytime soon.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (i feel that normal maps will be phased out really soon).
    Current conoles are still using them. They won't be gone for years yet. Learn them. :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Polycount budgest did not drastically increase to the point of you not needing normal maps. Not by a long shot. There a bit higher than last gen but nothing crazy.

Look at The Order art dump and you will see that polycounts are still very similar to what last gen was.