Home Technical Talk

non-destructive high poly modeling techniques

hurt720
null
Offline / Send Message
hurt720 null
I'd like your opinions on non-destructive high poly modeling techniques. I am working on 3ds max 2015 ext2 so I am mostly looking for a program specific solution, but any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated because I think im missing something very important. I have tried the following:

-Modeling the low poly while simultaneously applying support loops and quad chamfers. I guess thats the most straightforward way but opposite of what im looking for.
-Modeling the low poly, then applying an edit poly and a chamfer modifier. I use the edit poly for feeding its edge selection to the chamfer modifier. There I specify the chamfer settings for these edges. I make a fairly big stack of those for each different chamfer setting. This is unintuitive and not really a solution since most changes in the base editable poly geometry breaks the end result and i have to redo the edge selections.
-Modeling the low poly while specifying edge creases and then applying Opensubdiv. This was a promising approach but not really working for me. I get bad shading even if I crank the subd levels so high that makes it impossible to work while toggling end result.
-edge creases+turbosmooth. Same as above and the object needs more geometry to hold form for smaller crease amounts.
-Visualizing the high poly with creases and opensubdiv, then importing the low poly in mudbox for nice subdivision. Its not too much since mudbox would come into play eventually but unfortunately it interprets creases somewhat differently so there is still a lot of guesswork to take advantage of its subd algorithm.
-Opensubdiv + some support loops. Works well enough but I may as well go for all edge loops.

From what I understand its not possible to get a good looking high poly with edge creasing alone. So the only way is to somehow drive the chamfer modifier amounts from edge creasing. Is there any other way? I apologize if this seems like a no-question but i am far from an experienced modeler and still trying to establish a correct workflow.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    double smooth anf quadchamfer both read smoothinggroups, so all you need for a very solid base is a shortcut that applies one SG to your selection and BAM the borders of that selection are sharp
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I love the Quad chamfer modifier. Either with smoothing group or edge creasing, depending on the complexity and speed you're after. Works well for most objects and if you need to you can always collapse it after you get your base support loops set up and do some manual tweaks.
  • hurt720
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hurt720 null
    Neox wrote: »
    double smooth anf quadchamfer both read smoothinggroups, so all you need for a very solid base is a shortcut that applies one SG to your selection and BAM the borders of that selection are sharp
    Thx! I did some searching on this and i admit I ve never tried this, but it still doesnt allow for fine per-edge group controll after you finished the low poly. But it is a viable way to work, more so than those i mentioned above.
    Joost wrote: »
    I love the Quad chamfer modifier. Either with smoothing group or edge creasing, depending on the complexity and speed you're after. Works well for most objects and if you need to you can always collapse it after you get your base support loops set up and do some manual tweaks.
    Ty, this is exactly what i was looking for! You re talking about the paid plugin right? because max doesnt provide this functionality whith the chamfer modifier (it should!).
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yep, Autodesk finally implemented quad chamfer but the paid plugin is still better.
    Definitely worth the price imo!