Home General Discussion

What would be the exact list of things I need to know to get a job as a 3D modeller?

Paquette_e
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Paquette_e triangle
Hey guys!

I'm a full time self-taught since a little more than a year now and I would like to know what are exactly the things I need to be able to do to get a job as a 3D modeller?

What is the list of thing a 3D modeller needs to be able to do to get his first job? For example: Unwrapping UV or texturing etc... It would be great if we can set a little list of things, kind of a list of ''requirement to get a 3D Job as a modeller''.

Thank you guys, this will help me to better know my objective and optimize my learning path more properly.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Step 1: Have a kick ass portfolio

That requires being able to model, unwrap, texture, and present a model in a real-time engine.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    ^^ What this guy said.

Look at portfolios of people who work at a company you'd love to work for someday. Look at portfolios of people at studios you think you might have a chance of getting into.

Create 3-5 finished and polished pieces of work for the area you'd like to apply to, show final low-poly model with textures in a real-time engine like Unreal Engine 4, Unity, Cryengine, or Marmoset Toolbag 2 and a shot or two of your wireframes and textures flattened out in UV space. High-res sculpts optional if you went with a high-to-low workflow, though definately have the finished game-ready model piece as well (not just a bunch of untextured models).

If you only want to do hand-painted textures, then show how good you are at making hand-painted textures. Realism = make realistic pieces. If you're unsure and would like to work at a variety of studios/different projects then think smartly about what you're going to make and show. (IE do I do one realistic piece of a post-apocalyptic diner, one world-of-warcraft style-castle, one environment that shows of my ability to sculpt organic forms like sculptures, rocks, environmental foilage, one sci-fi environment that shows my amazing abilities to work with complex hard-edged/mechanical forms, etc.)

If it's characters you'll probably want to show you can do a range of archetypes (male/female/monster/time-period/genre/clothing/style) or focus on a specific style, definitely show off you know your anatomy, and of course show characters that are completed all the way to fully textured and rendered in a real-time engine. Rigging and animation is only if you're an animator/applying to do animation, not really a requirement for a modeling position unless it's a super-duper general position/small team.

Generally you'll definitely want to know how to create a static model from start to finish with proper UVs and textures.

[EDIT/Addon] People also post their work to get feedback on what they need to work on in the art showcase and critiques section, which I highly recommend you to do. People also post their online portfolios to get peer reviewed which also helps you figuring out what's working and what's not working. There's also the technical forum if you have any specific questions in regards to how to create something/go about something specifically.

Basically don't feel alone, polycount is here for you :D
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what people said above.
    As to concrete skills:
    * poly modeling
    * UV unwrapping
    * texturing + materials + baking
    Those cover the very basics.
    Depending if you want to work on characters/organic shapes or non-organic (e.g. weapons, vehicles) you need to set different focuses of your learning.
    Possibly pick a combination of these: sculpting (e.g. Zbrush), physically based shading, retopology, nDo/dDo workflow, highpoly -> lowpoly workflow.

However, all these are means to an end. You need to use all these to produce GREAT ART! Just listing these on your resume without a good folio will not help.

I would suggest checking out some tutorials like 3D motive to get an idea of the workflows and skills, and then study those.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Tried to keep my list in some sort of straightforward workflow:

Creating detailed high poly models
    Creating low poly models
    Unwrapping said low poly model efficiently
    Baking said high poly model onto said low poly model
    Texturing the model (diffuse/albedo, normals, specular/roughness/gloss/metalness, etc...)
    Setting up (at least) basic collision
    Importing the model into a game engine
    Creating a material for the model in said game engine
    Presenting the model in your portfolio

A lot of other little things as well, but that's all I can think of right now in terms of essentials. If you're relatively new, I would recommend creating props and trying to practice all of those skills (and more!) as much as possible. Find a concept you like that isn't too complex and take it all the way to a finished piece that is presentable in-game.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It's really hard to put together a laundry list of things. If you're looking to get started try youtube or digitaltutors kind of place to get you going. The best thing to do is just put in the hours. You'll make mistakes, learn workflow tips, and overall just improve. I get that you want to optimize your path. It's just really hard to do. Plus it's kind of great to experiment with things early on. You might find new ways of doing things and you'll definitely figure out what you enjoy and don't.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, Paquette_e I've looked through your post history and notice you have asked similar question to this before.

Can you join the monthly noob thread and monthly handpainting thread. You ask a lot of pointless question, but don't post much work.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137087

The work you do post could be improved a lot.

http://picoolio.net/images/2014/07/10/1913220_624465220959749_1212986560_o47de8.jpg

For example, the texturing on this really bad. If you post in the handpainting thread you could probably get some help on this.

http://picoolio.net/images/2014/07/10/10339351_662925427113728_345778078365327010_o462e1.jpg

This could be improved a lot. People on here could probably give you a lot of good advice.

http://picoolio.net/images/2014/07/10/1978403_651256821613922_884965913302553583_o6d5d8.jpg

You could probably get a lot better at hard surface modelling if you did the weekly hard surface challenge.

You say you do 8 hours a day, you could probably do 4 hours a day on the monthly noob challenge, 4 hours on handpaiting or character challenge. Post progress every two or three days. Do weekly hard surface challenge.

From the work you post you can see obvious stuff you can improve.

P.S. Sorry if you have improved since that old post where you actually post some of your work, but you post little work and the topic you start are just useless question. I hope to see you post in the monthly threads and join the skype group.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pang has the right idea. Do the challenge threads. Basically - set a goal, hit that goal, make a new goal. Rinse, repeat. If each goal is a little more ambitious than the last, you will see steady improvement.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Discipline
    Tenacity
    Time Management
    Diplomacy

Hehe, now I'd say these are the qualities you need if you want to STAY in the video game industry. :P
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Thank you guys!

The main goal of my question was to know which area I should focus on.
    Because, I'm taking drawing classes with a private teachers and he would like to know what I'll have to paint exactly to build me a better classes structure. Due to my lack of experience in UV and Texturing, I dont really know how it's done and what is required. Do I need to be a beast in drawing or it's just a game with shaders in Max or I just need a basic knowledge of drawing? I'm looking more to go for HardSurface modeling.

Thanks!

EDIT: Where's the noob monthly challenge? Can't find it after research
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Monthly handpaint art jam
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149542

Monthly Community Noob thread
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149583

Weekly Hard Surface Challenge
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129938
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132146

How to get better at hard surface modelling.

Step 1. Do week 1 of weekly hard surface challenge.
    BintzXa.jpg

Step 2. Do week 2 of weekly hard surface challenge.
    IWTIADE.jpg

Step 20. Do week 20 of weekly hard surface challenge.
    Borderlands_2_weapon_and_props_by_Gearbox_Software_22.jpg

Step 51. Do week 51 of weekly hard surface challenge.

Step 52. Congratulation you should be really good at hard surface modelling.