Home General Discussion

6 years of experience with little to show, help!

I've worked for roughly six years at a four-man animation studio as a 3D generalist and now I'm out of a job. Granted, I'm out of said job because I moved to the other side of the country (Seattle) in order to get into the gaming industry. Also, because I felt stuck in a rut.

Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that I don't have much I can use from my old job to create a demo reel (despite the six years). I did a lot of random jack-of-all-trades work at my old job. A lot of it was modifying pre-existing mesh, creating new models from bits and pieces of various other models, scene setups, basic rigging, animation editing, mocap acting, random Flash stuff, etc. I can point to the end product and say "I helped make that" but I can't really claim much as being my own.

So now I'm looking at some of these larger studios that have more niche roles. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. I think perhaps environmental art or prop art. I feel like I was at my old job for way too long and it made me complacent. Now I feel utterly lost. What do I do? Obviously create a demo reel...but with what? And what will these companies expect from me? I have no idea what the work environment is like for this industry/larger studios. Will my six years mean anything or will I need to focus on a super-amazing demo reel?

I really appreciate any advice that you folks can give me.

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Did you just get up and move without researching the games industry where you moved to? Sorta got the impression that you did. That's probably not a good approach.

What sort of stuff were you doing at your old job?

If I were you I'd decide on what I wanted to get a job as, then find people's folios around the net that are already doing that job at a high level in the industry. Then aim for that quality of work in building your own folio.
  • EditableSpline
    I moved for a variety of reasons: change of pace, family, etc. I did research and knew there were several studios in the area that I would love to work for, so in the end it was the ideal location to move to.

Like I mentioned in my original post, most of the stuff I did at my old job involved modifying pre-existing assets. Out of our four-man team, I was known primarily as the "character artist" guy. However, I know I don't have what it takes to be a real character artist (and I'm okay with that). I did a lot of everything, from modeling to animation to textures to compositing.

Looking at other people's portfolios does sound like a good place to get ideas on what I should focus on.

What I really want to do is find a junior position at a decently-sized studio where I can learn from my fellow co-workers and grow as an artist. While I learned some new things at my old job I definitely did not have a good environment to grow and develop my skills. Is it possible to find a job like this, or will most studios expect me to already be 100% proficient in my role?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Most studios will want you to be able to hit the ground running with minimal train-up time.
    I'd say your best bet at this stage would be to just start producing game ready assets of a type that interests you, or that you might feel comfortable producing. Follow lots of tutorials. Spend an insane amount of time on Polycount. You'll need to construct a viable portfolio.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    What I really want to do is find a junior position at a decently-sized studio where I can learn from my fellow co-workers and grow as an artist.

You and 10,000 other people want the same thing.

Where is your portfolio?
  • Zazerzs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in a similar position about 5 years ago, I took some classes and updated my skill set. Then got a job at one of the larger studios in the Seattle area. Check out FuturePoly and see if that works for ya. http://www.futurepoly.com/ They have some vids on youtube' Goodluck!
  • EditableSpline
    blazed wrote: »
    ...Get a Part time job, or state funds, and start working on the specific role you want to work in, give it your all (at least 8 hours of hard work a day minimum) everyday. When you can produce game art that is at least at the same level as game graphics today you now know you have a good chance of getting a job through applications.

It's easier said than done, I know, but take action > start > progress > win.

Goodluck.

Thanks, blazed, your reply is something I really needed to read. Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice.

I have money saved up but I need to decide if I should get a part time job or if I should focus all of my time on creating a portfolio. Zazerzs, I'm actually signed up to take a FuturePoly class next month. I have high hopes that it will help me update my skills and make me more comfortable with the gaming industry.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    You need a portfolio.

The Job I have been doing for an extremely long time is practically pointless for most positions. Why I hope to get a position in a studio or do freelance !
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    From what I've seen and heard, demo reels are only really applicable if you have actual animation to show. (IE animator position) If you do go with a demo reel and are not applying for animation jobs, then make sure you have high-res images of your work also on your website/online portfolio that show off the final, textured work as well as maybe a couple of shots like your wireframe on your low poly, high-res model if applicable, and textures.

Basically stare at other people's online portfolios and websites who work at the studio you'd like to work at to get some ideas as to their skill level and how they go about handling their portfolios. Usually the trend is to have the artwork up front as quickly as possible (not difficult at all to actually view their work/not link after link)

If you're an environment artist usually there's about three or more different environments in either different types of locations or styles, and the odd prop or two. Character artists usually have their characters posed up front in hi-res renders, weapon artists having a lot of well, weapons with beautiful hard-edge work, vehicle artists etc. Animators = demo reels mostly as well as maybe some animated GIFs.

Then for the even more specialized job positions you'll have people that do very well in one style, IE hand-painted/realism/mobile/hard-edged sci-fi eye candy/a guy that literally is amazing at foliage, character artists that excel at men, women, creatures, etc.

So basically figure out if you'd like to be more of an environment artist, prop artist, character artist, technical artist (mix of programming, shaders, and visuals), animator, etc and go from there. There are also level designers and lighting artists but those are a bit more specific.

Last bit of advice is it is better to have 3-5 amazing pieces of work with time well spent on finishing it, versus 5-10 pieces of work that are of average quality, or filler work that is unfinished (you should have the habit of showing fully finished, game-ready textured work. Having a bunch of high-poly models that while beautiful, are essentially useless and don't communicate your knowledge of texturing and knowing that you can finish something.)

Generalism can work to your advantage however, but usually only when applying to very small studios or mobile studios as they'll need people who can switch between different hats.

Best of luck!
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Does your 4 man animation studio have demo reels of their own.
    You could use those as work, as long as they are public.
    Just put a statement saying what you did in that particular reel.
    Did your studio work on any 3rd party animations? do they have trailers?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    If you go the environment route I would suggest making dioramas for your portfolio instead of huge scenes. The idea is to make everything as good and impressive as you can in a snippet of a larger world without spreading your work too thin trying to make the scene large enough with a bunch of assets.

Quality > quantity

You also really want to try and convey a story if you can. Make the environment feel lived in and alive. Or at the very least, have a sense of history and meaning.

Also, UE4 is free now. Get it and learn the art/level design pipeline for it if you haven't already. It's important to show all of your portfolio pieces in a real time engine.

Best of luck!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    The replies so far are pretty good. One thing I would add - You don't seem to have the skills yet for the types of jobs you want to get eventually. In that case, trying to put together a portfolio should not be your immediate goal. Work on skills, and THEN put together a portfolio of nice stuff. Trying to make great portfolio pieces while you are learning the basics could be very frustrating. You can make fairly simple things when you first start learning the skills.

Once you are comfortable with some basic stuff, then start pushing yourself more, so that you don't stay in your comfort zone. Keep growing and challenging yourself, and transition over to making things that could be portofolio pieces.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Well, it's obviously too late but quitting your job and moving without having a job already lined up was a pretty bone head move. That being said, you have to make the best of it. If you have no folio, you're not getting a job, it's that simple. No one is going to give you a shot because you have 6 years experience if you have nothing to show for it. Entry level artists at established studios basically have folios that are top notch quality...they just lack the experience about pipeline and efficiency. So, get started on a simple prop, make it looks amazing whether its realistic or stylized, and move onto something more complicated. I think if you can create 4-5 top quality props, that 6 years of experience will start to look good to potential employers.
  • EditableSpline
    blazed: Your game-plan sounds like a great way to approach things, I'll try it out.

Deathstick: Thanks for the breakdown and advice, super helpful!

Fwap: My old studio has demo reels but it would only make sense to use some of that material if I was going for another Generalist job.

Tobbo: Your advice on dioramas is fantastic. I hadn't thought of that. Not only will it be less intimidating to go that route, but I agree on your "quality > quantity" statement.

Kevin: More useful advice. I've actually been doing that lately (working on skills I missed out on in my education).

slosh & dustin: Yes, moving without a job was boneheaded. I think it was necessary, though. My old job was, indeed, a black hole. When I first started working there, I had such ambition. After a couple years I fell into a comfort zone and a rut where I stopped learning new things and my passion dwindled. Moving was a catalyst for me. Sink or swim.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Sure, a good folio is necessary but weird thing I personally never found a good job due to nice portfolio. Maybe my first not so good job. Next ones rather by recommendations and projects I worked in.
    For my last job I only mentioned projects and few persons whom they could ask about me and they never asked to show something in return.
    So now I am not sure if I need to waste my time for doing portfolio. My old one is pathetic and 15 years old.

Few years ago I had to choose new artists and look through their portfolios. They are all super cool and spectacular and at the same time somehow too similar to each other. Truth is that portfolio hardly reveal whether the person would be really useful and productive in actual pipeline.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    gnoop wrote: »
    They are all super cool and spectacular and at the same time somehow too similar to each other.

what do you mean by this?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really had to move to get interested in learning new things again.... then maybe this industry is not for you. You will always be required to learn new things and evolve as an artist.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    RexM wrote: »
    If you really had to move to get interested in learning new things again.... then maybe this industry is not for you.

You got all that from a paragraph about someone you hardly know, who is stuck in a rut and likely confused/anxious about what to do next?

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion, seems a little callous. Sometimes people are filled with self doubt due to situations or decisions throughout their life, so they're not always going to be 100% clear thinking.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    dzibarik wrote: »
    what do you mean by this?

I mean all of them follow the same typical cliches mostly + static dead poses. If environments , cool looking but somehow less challenging scenes. Often too high polycount and too good lighting. As a result all of this looks cool but pretty similar and somehow boring to look through.