Home Technical Talk

Copying ndo2 in Photoshop

berry
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
berry polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone
I Have a question. how can I turn a normal map into an AO map the way that ndo2 does? Because the AO that ndo2 generates from normal map is not like a usual AO map and it's way cooler.
I think ndo2 uses some chain actions in Photoshop to generate these kind of maps because although it's fast but you can see it when you use ndo.
Does anybody know how it's possible?
Thanks

Replies

• Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    To answer your question, no i dont think there's a easy way. But I dont see why you would need to. If you doing a mesh, then bake the normal's and AO though e.g Xnormal. If your doing a texture. Non PBR you can paint it in the diffuse, PBR you can just make your own. not that hard for a flat texture.
  • berry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berry polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you for your answer. The thing is that you cant get an ndo2 result with xnormal or any other baking tool. I think the "AO" that ndo2 generates is not actually AO.(it has a little colour in it and shadows are different)

nDo2beta_ao.jpg

But whatever it is, it's really cool specially using it as an overlay on top of the diffuse map(for really lowpoly models)
    I hope I find a way to generate a same map in Photoshop because I just need this feature of ndo2 and I don't need the whole software.